Experience with Swedish Ballard Midwives (Seattle) or Puget Sound Birthcenter in Kirkland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-21-2010, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am moving from San Francisco to Seattle in March and will need to change my OB healthcare provider in my third trimester. :P (My little boy is due May 11th-ish) . I am wondering if anyone has experience with the Midwives @ Swedish Ballard or with Puget Sound Birth Center in Kirkland (Specifically Heike Doyle, Andrea Henderson,& Nicole Donovan of Eastside Midwives who have room in their practice for a mom with my due date.) I really want to take a natural approach to childbirth and avoid meds and non-essential medical interventions if possible. If you have any information about these providers or can recommend others in the Seattle / Bellevue area that are supportive of this type of birth and environment, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,

Moving Mom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM

I don't have any personal experience with either group but from what my friends say...PSBC hands down!
#3 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 12:08 AM

I recommend Heike Doyle wholeheartedly! She delivered one son and her partner at the time delivered the other.
#4 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mija View Post
I recommend Heike Doyle wholeheartedly! She delivered one son and her partner at the time delivered the other.
I second this recommendation. I've had both Heike and Ali and had complications arise with both labors that probably would have resulted in c-sections at the hospital, but with the experience and professionalism of the midwives I was able to have vaginal deliveries both times.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

#5 of 9 Old 01-22-2010, 04:32 AM

Well, the two are completely different, one is a hospital with all that is involved in that, though with midwives. the other is out of hospital, eating in labor, doppler monitoring, more tolerance for the meandering path that labor sometimes takes, midwives who stay the entire birth vs nurses and midwives going off shift, I could go on and on.

completely different experience! hospital vs birth center out of hospital. that question might need to be answered, and then find the best one of the category you choose!

good luck and welcome to seattle!
Sharon

PS: have attended births with both sets of providers and in both facilities and find both groups to be pleasant.

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#6 of 9 Old 01-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Check out the results at the birthsurvey.com to see what other moms have said about both places.

I think there's something that can sell you on the Puget Sound birth center, and that's a documentary that was done about the center. I forget the name of it right now, but I'm sure Sharon knows. I've got a copy of it that you could borrow, but the birth center also gives them away for free.

Puget Sound Birth Center is a very popular choice here in the Seattle area. Working with the midwives there, especially late in pregnancy, is a lucky break.

Sharon makes a good point, it really depends on what you want from your birth experience. If you are considering a birth center, then you probably aren't interested in access to medical interventions or pain relief so that makes giving birth at a hospital unnecessary.

I hope you get the information you are looking for to make a decision. I think it would be safe to say that alot of people in the area would think you are crazy to not go with the birth center! But then again, mainstreamers would say you were crazy to give birth outside a hospital!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#7 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 AM

A friend of mine used the Swedish Ballard midwives two years ago and had a good experience. They never offered any pain medication and she had a natural birth.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 9 Old 01-25-2010, 01:51 PM

Puget Sound Birth Center is not a hospital. It is near one, but is not associated with it. You birth in a big bedroom that has a big tub and toilet area. I've birthed at PSBC twice and have had great experiences both times. My last birth was a 10lb4oz baby who was malpositioned and we got him out without having to transfer. There are no options for an epidural or other heavy drugs there, but the water helps and they do have homeopathics that they use, but not for pain. It's like a homebirth in somebody else's really nice home.

I have no experience with Swedish. I chose PSBC so there would be no choice for an epidural because I know I'll be asking for one at around 9cm.

Just call them and ask if they're taking new patients.

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#9 of 9 Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for all of your input & help!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page