Visiting Portland - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're coming for a short visit to Portland for DD's birthday in a couple weeks. We're taking a train trip instead of throwing a party! DD will be 5, DS is almost 2.

I'm thinking the Children's Museum for sure. But then someone recommended the World Forestry Center. If you could only choose 1, which would you go to? Any thing that we shouldn't miss? Also, any good restaurants? DD already asked "where will we eat".

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Children's Museum and the World Forestry Center are nearly side by side with the zoo at a train station near the Hoyt Arboretum. The zoo has a nice little cafe, a tad overpriced but nice or a hot dog stand. The Forestry center has no food but does have a cool ride up to the "forest" canopy.

Pack a lunch and make a day of it of you can.
#3 of 7 Old 01-29-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Children's Museum!

The World Forestry Center is nice for adults and older kids, but it's not really a little kid thing, IMO. The Children's Museum is awesome for little kids.
#4 of 7 Old 02-02-2010, 06:15 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philomom View Post
The Children's Museum and the World Forestry Center are nearly side by side with the zoo at a train station near the Hoyt Arboretum. The zoo has a nice little cafe, a tad overpriced but nice or a hot dog stand. The Forestry center has no food but does have a cool ride up to the "forest" canopy.

Pack a lunch and make a day of it of you can.
Where did you find edible food at the zoo? Anything I've ever bought I spit out.. couldn't bring myself to swallow. Thats like the number 1 reason I rarely go to the zoo these days. Too lazy to pack a lunch, can't eat their food! The childrens museum has good food though For a fun place to eat, I personally havent been here so I can't give my own experience. A friend told me about it, said her dd loved it. we might be going on wednesday for my dd's birthday. www.slappycakes.com they have a griddle built in to the table so you can make pancakes yourself and put your own toppings in it. fun fun!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#5 of 7 Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
Where did you find edible food at the zoo? Anything I've ever bought I spit out.. couldn't bring myself to swallow. Thats like the number 1 reason I rarely go to the zoo these days. Too lazy to pack a lunch, can't eat their food! The childrens museum has good food though For a fun place to eat, I personally havent been here so I can't give my own experience. A friend told me about it, said her dd loved it. we might be going on wednesday for my dd's birthday. www.slappycakes.com they have a griddle built in to the table so you can make pancakes yourself and put your own toppings in it. fun fun!
I've eaten some lovely sandwiches there at the cafe and had some decent soups. Maybe you got them on a bad day.
#6 of 7 Old 02-03-2010, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
really! Hmm.. i think the sandwich I spat out was from the africafe. are you talking about the sit down restaurant right inside the gates that you dont need to pay admission to eat in? because I do confess to never eating there. Was too scared to give it a chance after other experiences. Might try it though if you say its good.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 7 Old 02-03-2010, 11:23 PM

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page