Recommendations for Midwife in or near Bellingham, WA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-27-2010, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are expecting #2 this October and are in search of recommendations for a midwife in or near Bellingham, Whatcom County, Washington that has privileges at either at a birthing center or at a hospital with a birthing tub.

#1 was born in a hospital and, although I delivered a healthy 9lb baby, I would like to pursue more personable prenatal care and a less invasive birth for #2. Admittedly, I'm not (yet) entirely convinced that I am mentally or physically prepared for a drug-free birth (hence the option of working with a midwife with privileges at a hospital), but I feel that working with a great midwife over the next 8 months would help me learn to trust my body and break down my fears of natural birth and birth outside of traditional US medical practices.

Any recommendations (or advice on whom/where to stay away from) would be greatly appreciated.
#2 of 10 Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM

Stay FAR FAR away from Charlotte Geddis. The only other midwife I've talked with that works in Bellingham is Kim Bauer. She has privileges at the Bellingham Birth Center and was very nice and seemed very well-educated. Here's the website: http://www.bellinghambirthcenter.com...0midwives.html I'd just meet with lots of them (they should all offer free consults) and see who you like.
#3 of 10 Old 02-28-2010, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your suggestions.
#4 of 10 Old 02-28-2010, 08:45 PM

I had Winni McNamara for my homebirth and she works in/out of Bellingham and LOVED her!
#5 of 10 Old 03-04-2010, 05:43 AM

I like Winni and Kim. But I'd probably favor Kim first.
#6 of 10 Old 05-15-2010, 08:26 PM

I would highly recommend both Winnie MacNamara and Ann Tive.
#7 of 10 Old 05-20-2010, 03:33 PM

Hi

I had all 3 babes @ the BC and found the midwives AMAZING we had Catriona Munroe and Chrisitne Gibbs the first 2 and this last time was Eloisa Carey and Kristin Effland. They are very respectful of your choices and offer awesome support as well as friendship. The BC is also great feels like a plush hotel with comfy tubs etc. Check out the site and see what you think most imp to get to know any midwife and make sure you are comfy with them as it can affect birth experience if you are not. I also know many who had awesome homebirth experiences with Winni Mcnamara and she has privaleges their as well.

Good LUCK

sahm to 3 married todh_malesling.GIF 8yrs   waterbirth.jpg treehugger.gif homeschool.giffamilybed1.gifteapot2.GIFgoorganic.jpgsewmachine.gifwinner.jpgnamaste.gif

#8 of 10 Old 05-20-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and recommendations. We have decided to go with the primary midwives at the birthing center, Catriona Munroe, Eloisa Carey and Kristin Effland. For the prenatal visits, we rotate through each of them and, depending on who is on call that day, any two of them will be attending the birth. In so far, we have toured the birthing center, have met with each of the midwives, and have been extremely satisfied with our decision.
#9 of 10 Old 05-22-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTRANDI View Post
I had Winni McNamara for my homebirth and she works in/out of Bellingham and LOVED her!
YES! She is wonderful!
#10 of 10 Old 10-14-2012, 05:13 PM

I'm a new midwife in Whatcom County and serve in the Lynden area as well as surrounding areas.  I can be found at www.handsofgracemidwifery.com

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page