Where do you get bulk wheat (N. SEattle area) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm baking a lot of bread and would like to get bulk organic ground wheat. Does anybody here know of a great source in the N. SEattle to Everett area?

Thanks in advance.
Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#2 of 15 Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 PM

Azure Standard!

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#3 of 15 Old 03-01-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Never heard of it....off to google it and see what i can find. Thanks!

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#4 of 15 Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 AM

Sorry for my quick response... was doing an MDC drive-by earlier.

Azure has truck-based deliveries once a month (or you can have it shipped, but then you have to pay for shipping)- you just go to a designated meeting spot and meet the truck to pick up your order. You can call them and find out where your closest ordering group is. You just have to do a minimum $50 order (the whole group has to order >$500) which is really easy to do because they have some great deals!! That's where I buy my raw honey ($25-29 for a gallon, prices vary from month to month) and whole buckwheat groats ($25 for 25#!) They have all sorts of bulk whole grains, flours, organic produce, personal care products, laundry soap, you name it.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#5 of 15 Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It's exactly what I was looking for. I've been searching for affordable, wheat and it's not easy to come by. Costco had huge bags of bleached white with additives for 15 and I was actually starting to consider that that may be the best option. Also, there's a pickup near me!

Thanks again
Lisa

#6 of 15 Old 03-02-2010, 11:50 PM

I set up an acct with Azure and have yet to order from them, mostly because everything there is amazing, thus my 'cart' is huge. One of these days I'll actually place the order, lol. The prices there are great, though.

Anyhoo, I was also going to add that you might want to check out Manna Mills in Mountlake Terrace. Supposedly their bulk prices are good, though I have no idea what wheat in particular runs b/c I'm gluten intolerant. Give it a try!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#7 of 15 Old 03-02-2010, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Azure Standard is fantastic! That's where I get my grains.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 15 Old 03-03-2010, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I did try Manna mills. Their prices were almost double Azures for organic 25lb bags.

I'm excited about Azure standard because it means that I may actually get to the point where I don't have to go to a grocery store! I buy meat in bulk from the farm, I buy raw milk at a small healthfood store, I get vegetables from a local farm, but all that other stuff is from various grocery stores. Now, I may be able to cut those out!

I hear you about the long list of wants though.

#9 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 01:31 PM

Wow, this looks really great, but how do you keep your bulk grains from getting bugs when you have so many? That is probably a stupid question, but we had pantry moths last year and I'm really cautious now...

Mama to DD (11/07) and DS (07/10)
#10 of 15 Old 03-04-2010, 08:06 PM

I've never had an issue with bugs. First, put the grains in the freezer for 48 hours. If there is anything living in them, that will kill it. Then I store in big plastic tubs which are pretty much airtight.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#11 of 15 Old 04-22-2010, 04:04 PM

What about Blue Bird Grain farms?

http://www.bluebirdgrainfarms.com/

Mama to Little Beedust.gif born April 2007 -

Expecting a new little one in Mid-October, after 3 1/2 years TTC

#12 of 15 Old 04-23-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sometime View Post
Wow, this looks really great, but how do you keep your bulk grains from getting bugs when you have so many? That is probably a stupid question, but we had pantry moths last year and I'm really cautious now...
I got big buckets with screw-on airtight lids for the flour. If I didn't do that, I"d probably divide it all up into air-tight 2 gallon ziplock bags.

#13 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaoticzenmom View Post
I got big buckets with screw-on airtight lids for the flour. If I didn't do that, I"d probably divide it all up into air-tight 2 gallon ziplock bags.
I just bought the food grade buckets with Gamma Seal lids! I'm excited to start using them.

#14 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
I just bought the food grade buckets with Gamma Seal lids! I'm excited to start using them.
Where did you pick those up?
#15 of 15 Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 PM

Azure standard. But you can order them various places online.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page