Recommendations for things to see and do in Portland in two days or less? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an opportunity to interview for a job in the PNW. I am planning to check out Portland, Seattle, and the area in between, but I have a limited amount of time.

So, what do you recommend seeing and doing for getting a flavor of the area with two days or less in Portland? And two days or less in Seattle? What about the area in between?

Sightseeing?
Children's activities?
Parks?
Events?
Farmer's markets?
Restaurants?
Natural areas?
Community features?
Hotels?
Other things?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Is Nice View Post
I have an opportunity to interview for a job in the PNW. I am planning to check out Portland, Seattle, and the area in between, but I have a limited amount of time.

So, what do you recommend seeing and doing for getting a flavor of the area with two days or less in Portland? And two days or less in Seattle? What about the area in between?
For Portland.
Sightseeing? Saturday market
Children's activities? Omsi, and for kids under 10 the childrens museum
Parks?
Events?
Farmer's markets? the big one opens March 20th http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/
Restaurants? not quite a restaurant, but a have to go to to get the weirdness of Portland. http://voodoodoughnut.com/
Natural areas?
Community features?
Hotels?
Other things?

Thanks!
I love the Portland, and hope you enjoy your time there.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 03-02-2010, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, can you tell me about the Portland market, please? I have been looking at into it, but it looks like there is more than one. Is there one big, main market (the Saturday one)?

Is this the one on campus or near campus/downtown?

If I go in a few weeks or April (when my interview will likely be) will it be in full session or does that happen as the season progresses?

I'm excited to go see it! Thanks! Is there anything else in that area that I could go and see before or after?

Thanks so much!
#4 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM

the market at the PSU campus is the farmers market, which is bountiful and delicious. usually there is live music, and loads of people out and about, with park blocks (stretches of green space and benches) stretching out on either side. there is a playground nearby, too, if your child(ren) are into that.

the Saturday Market is more about wares, arts and cooked food (you can get cooked food at either market, but more variety of prepared foods at the Saturday Market, I believe). It is closer to the river (the Willamette River divides west and east Portland). there is also live music there, usually busking, same as the farmers market.

both places are great for people watching, and getting a good feel for the city and the people in it. no need to be bored at either.

if you're at the saturday market, you will be close to the pearl district. lots of window shopping. there is sip and kranz where small children can play happily while you have a portland coffee shop moment.

i think the japanese and chinese gardens are great. riding the street car, going to the very large downtown library, visiting finnegans toy store if you're interested in that kind of thing, just walking around the city and looking at the sculptures, statues and fountains. april is too early for the fountains to be on.

if you have a car rental, then you could easily go to the arboretum, audubon society, or pittock mansion -- all abut forest park and give you some great short walks in an urban pacific northwest forest. there's really too much to do in two days. have fun!
#5 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenma View Post
the market at the PSU campus is the farmers market, which is bountiful and delicious. usually there is live music, and loads of people out and about, with park blocks (stretches of green space and benches) stretching out on either side. there is a playground nearby, too, if your child(ren) are into that.

the Saturday Market is more about wares, arts and cooked food (you can get cooked food at either market, but more variety of prepared foods at the Saturday Market, I believe). It is closer to the river (the Willamette River divides west and east Portland). there is also live music there, usually busking, same as the farmers market.

both places are great for people watching, and getting a good feel for the city and the people in it. no need to be bored at either.

if you're at the saturday market, you will be close to the pearl district. lots of window shopping. there is sip and kranz where small children can play happily while you have a portland coffee shop moment.

i think the japanese and chinese gardens are great. riding the street car, going to the very large downtown library, visiting finnegans toy store if you're interested in that kind of thing, just walking around the city and looking at the sculptures, statues and fountains. april is too early for the fountains to be on.

if you have a car rental, then you could easily go to the arboretum, audubon society, or pittock mansion -- all abut forest park and give you some great short walks in an urban pacific northwest forest. there's really too much to do in two days. have fun!

Great! Thank you very much!

So, the PSU market and the Saturday market are two different things?

Thanks so much for the children's activities tips. I will certainly look into them! Thanks!!
#6 of 6 Old 03-07-2010, 06:03 PM

yes, the farmer's market at PSU and the Saturday market are two different things, even though they both take place on Saturday mornings downtown. they are at two different locations, but both have a lot to offer visitors.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page