Looking for Birth Doula/Childbirth Class recommendations around Bellingham, WA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-04-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello!

My husband and I are expecting our first child this August. Last weekend we moved to Bellingham from California and, although I grew up here, I haven't had any prior experience being pregnant in Bellingham.

I have been meeting with a few midwives this week and am very excited about how that is going. I'd also like to sign up for childbirth classes and find a birth doula to work with. The midwives have given me a list of options to investigate but I was wondering if anyone has personal experience in either of these areas and could recommend a good place to start.

Here is the list of Childbirth Classes in Whatcom County that I was given:
Natural Birth Experience - Mary Burgess
Bradley Method - Colleen Van Pelt
Natural Childbirth Classes - Beth Arcese
Hypnobirthing - Kathy Wilbur
Childbirth Preparation Classes - Bellingham Tech. College
Birthing from Within

And here is a list of possible birth doulas that I was given (as you can see there are quite a few and most don't have websites so I'd be excited to here recommendations that could steer me to a few to start interviewing with):
Jen Quesada
Kathy Wilbur
Mary Burgess
Amy Robinson
Lisa Harmon
Beth Arcese
Tonya Gilday
Jamie Stolz
Nancy Harris
Danielle Griffin
Jen Mallett
Rachel Hayley
Erin DeKock
Kim Greenway
Solana Windsor-Silvia
Hayley Swedelius

Thanks so much for any help/advice you are able to give!

Cheers,
Elizabeth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-12-2010, 02:20 PM

Hi,

I birthed at home in Bellingham 5 1/2 years ago with Catriona Munro and Christine Gibbs. It was wonderful. I didn't have a doula, but I have known Amy Robinson since high school. I know many others who have had her as their doula or taken pre/post-natal yoga from her and she comes highly recommended. I wish you good birthing.

Jaime
#3 of 3 Old 03-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Elizabeth, I am in Mount Vernon, which is not too far. I am in training with Birth Arts International to become a birth doula. Since I am working towards certification, my fees are reduced. I would love to have a chance to interview with you if you are interested! Feel free to send me a private message or an email through MDC!

As for the classes...I took Bradley classes when I was pregnant with my daughter, and I think they were very helpful. I really enjoyed going to the class every week, and since it was a long series (12 weeks) I was able to really get to know my teacher and my other students. I also enjoyed the relaxation techniques that they teach you in the Bradley classes. They really helped my husband to find his role in the birth, and he was an excellent labor coach. I've also heard great things about Birthing From Within and Hypnobirthing.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page