Bellevue schools - Clyde Hill - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HI Mamas,
I am looking for any and all feedback on Bellevue schools and clyde hill elementary. While I am interested in the academics and the degree to which kids have to complete worksheets, are treated respectfully etc., I am also VERY interested in the social environment for kids, girls in particular, and how the kids treat each other. I would appreciate all of your feedback.
Thank you.
#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I interned for a few weeks in Bellevue (2nd and 5th grade) about 6 years ago. One thing about the Bellevue district is that the curriculum is VERY standardized. In the rooms I was in, I saw very little differentiated instruction (trying to find more challenging things for more gifted students and making the material more accessible for students who were lagging behind). The lessons were great for those who were fairly "average" but I saw a lot of totally bored and totally lost students. I know they have been working to make this better (on the teachers level, not sure about higher ups), but I don't know how it is now for sure. I was not impressed.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#3 of 3 Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I grew up in the Bellevue School District and the above description is very accurate. Very standardized, not very much wiggle room, very inflexible. They tend have a "we know best" attitude and act very posh. Too much money spent on "extras" and not enough spent programs that help students. The area itself is very affluent and people walk around with their noses in the air. My mother got sick of it when I was in the fifth grade and homeschooled me. I ended up learning most of what I needed in Jr. High and aced the GED, since the BSD thumbs their nose at homeschoolers and have no programs to allow them to get their high school credits. The school district next door, the Lake Washington School District, is MUCH MUCH better. They will work with homeschoolers, and even have a homeschool center where high school students can earn credits. They're also much more flexible when it comes to different learning styles and special needs students. My little sister was actually in special education in the BSD and my mother was told by the lead special ed teacher that she would possibly never graduate high school. My sister now is graduating from the University of Washington with a degree in chemistry. This was after being transferred out of the BSD and homeschooled, then attending the homeschool center in the LWSD and earning her high school credits.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page