OHP Open Card Pediatricians, or Ped/Fam Doc recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2010, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello out there...

I'm on the hunt for a pediatrician or family doc for my 7-week old. So far, I've been turned away from 2 practices that were recommended on this board because I have the OHP open card and they don't accept OHP, or don't accept the open card, or have closed their managed care OHP option to new patients, and will not accept us as a cash patient even though the cash is not coming from me. Apparently, if you're on the state but have a family member who is willing to pay for one office visit, they still won't take you on, even though I've already contacted the state and gotten permission to do that...so, I'm looking for recommendations.

I have the OHP open card right now for the baby, and before I call any more offices who won't give me an appointment because of the situation, I'm wondering if anyone knows of ANY pediatrician or family doctor in the general Portland area who will accept an OHP patient? The open card would be great, but if they're on a managed care plan and are accepting patients then I can switch over since I only needed the open card for the midwife services. I've contacted the DHS offices already and they've told me I have to just keep on cold-calling until I find someone...not very helpful, which, I suppose, is the point!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm sitting here cold calling offices, but the baby will be waking up soon--scratch that, he's waking up now--and I don't have time to cold call doc offices every morning until I find one who will take us. I'll take any doc at this point, though if you have a recommendation for a great doc regardless of whatever health insurance plans they accept, I'll take that as well so I can find a decent doctor for when I'm no longer on the state. TIA for any help you all can offer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 03:31 AM

If you haven't been put into a managed care plan, and still truly have the open card, then the Natural Childbirth and Family clinic in North Portland will take your open card. They are nice folks, passionate about natural birth, very flexible and understanding about vaccines. They can ONLY accept the open card though, so if you're on a managed care plan now (or will be very soon), then they wouldn't work. But their website is here:
http://www.naturalchildbirthclinic.com/

We are on OHP for another few months and were just placed with Columbia Medical Clinic (but when we moved to Portland we unfortunately couldn't keep our open card). They're relatively new, but they are accepting OHP patients right now. That said, I know NOTHING about them. The only reason I chose them (as opposed to the maybe 5 other clinics in the metro area that I also knew nothing about and who were accepting new OHP patients w/o an open card), was because their website mentions massage therapy and and acupuncture among their services, so I hope (and pray, and hope) that they will be slightly more open to our non-traditional approach to birth and everything since. DS is very selectively vaxed, and I'm a huge germ phobe, so we haven't been in for a visit yet. DS is healthy, and I'm not huge on well baby visits anyway (breastfeeding well, growing well, meeting milestones, no vaxes thank you, so what are they going to tell me really?). But now at least if DS gets sick I have someplace to take him. Their website is columbiaclinic.com, you might try calling them.

I think that Mt. Tabor Family Medical Clinic is also accepting OHP patients at this time. From what I understand they are very much the traditional medical services, party line kind of clinic. But that's pretty much what you're going to find if you are using your LO's OHP benefits.

If you find a doctor you want, and can afford out of pocket, then lie. They will see you if you don't have insurance, but won't see you if you have OHP (even if you can pay cash). It's crazy, but the way it was described to me, was that if they rendered you services, and then suddenly you decided, nope, sorry, not gonna pay, then they wouldn't be able to bill OHP, and wouldn't really be able to force you to pay because you have insurance.

Maddening, isn't it?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Old 05-05-2010, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the response! It is maddening, yes. Especially since it's so hard to find a good MD who is accepting new patients anyway--now finding a good one is going to be next to impossible. I would skip it altogether and just go to an ND, but I've got family members breathing down my neck to take him to a doctor even though there's nothing wrong with him and the midwives have done all of his newborn care up until now, but they will not stop driving me crazy until I see someone with an "MD" attached to the end of their name, and I really don't care who that is so long as they just answer the questions I need answers to.

My only disappointment in this whole thing is the fact that I won't be able to see Dr. Pritchard (because I've heard good things about her, both on this board and off) until I've got proof I'm no longer on the state. Her staff was truly apologetic and very sweet and respectful about the whole thing though, so I'll just have to wait. The other doctor I called had a staff member who was really rude to me, so I would have crossed her off the list anyway.

I've seen a lot of questions about OHP, so if I come across anything useful along my journey, I'll post the info on this board. I did find one clinic who gave me an appointment tomorrow, so I'm hoping it's a decent experience.

User Tag List