Indoor, baby-friendly places in Seattle? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's raining this week, my DH is out of town and we might go stir-crazy.

What are some baby-friendly, but covered places we can go that are either free or low-cost? For example, the aquarium's nice, but it cost $17 which is okay every once in a while, but not all week.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#2 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM

bootyland: I heard they sometimes have story times... pretty relaxed in there and when i used to nanny in Seattle we went there A LOT to hang out on rainy days (as do many others)

story time at the seattle public library. don't think they have anything specifically for little babies but I think you are probably fine to go to one of the toddler ones...

here is a link to a bunch of kid/baby/family friendly cafes: although I've heard that "my coffee shop" isn't really that kid friendly anymore... and from what I remember, Vios cafe on 19th has a play area and everyone is super friendly

good luck!!!

I grew up in seattle and nannied there for a long time... i was thinking that things had probably changed a ton but from what I'm seeing online a lot of my old resources are still kicking....
#3 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
There is a small play area inside the REI in Seattle as well.

I think "my coffee shop" is gone. Vios is great though.

The Science Center is great because kiddos under 3 (I think) are free and they have a really nice play area for little ones. So you only have to buy the basic adult admission.

Have you thought about purchasing a membership to the children's museum or something to have on rainy days? If you live close, it can be really handy and cost effective in the long run.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely would do something like that, a membership to somewhere, but she's only 6 months and we're moving in September, so it's not really something she or I would get a whole lot out of. Would we?

I've never been to the Children's Museum, is it the kind of place you can just kind of hang out?

@lapis that's a great coffee shop link, thanks. There's also Tougo on 18th, they have a large play area in back as well.

Mom to DD Nov 2009,
#5 of 9 Old 05-18-2010, 09:06 PM

I always have this same problem. I have found many of the community centers have indoor play days. I am in West Seattle and the community centers have two days a week when toddlers and young kids can just run crazy in the gym and they put out tons of toys and balls and things to climb on. Most of them charge $2. You can look on the Seattle Parks and Recreation page and look for toddler activities and the community centers with indoor play times are listed. Good Luck!
#6 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, there is a great area at the children's museum for those 3 and under (seperate and gated off, so no worries about older kids). You can just hang out. And if you need food you get your hand stamped and head upstairs to the centerhouse. We've spent all day there before with my kiddos! But, if your LO isn't mobile it's probably not all that interesting for her yet (though you could move her around to let her splash in the water, etc).

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 9 Old 05-21-2010, 02:03 AM

This may be too far and it could be boring for you, but the Family Fun Center in Tukwila has a kid play area. It's about $3-4 for as long as you want to watch your baby climb around. The play structure is huge and has plenty of room for adults and you can go down the slide with her. Or you can bring a book and sit on the toddler climbing area while she climbs around you. I used to do that when I was pregnant and had a 2 and a 3 yr old.

Also, my kids loved the downtown Barnes & Noble reading area. The chairs and the mural and mini stage really fascinated them. You may have to pay for parking.
#8 of 9 Old 06-03-2010, 06:00 AM

The first Thursday of the month, many Seattle Museums are free. At 6 months, you can really enjoy the museums with your baby because they are really into the different sights and all the colors. It's a little harder for me to enjoy the museums in the same way now that my oldest is 5 and there are now two other siblings, but we still go and have a different kind of fun. I also don't feel like I'm ruining anyone else's expensive experience if I take my kids on free day and they make any noise. It's not usually as quiet on the free days as normal days.

Off the top of my head I can think of a few I know are free for certain and maybe someone else can add to the list: Seattle Art Museum (in the evening), Burke Museum, Museum of History and Industry and Henry Art Gallery.

belly.gif to  jumpers.giflol.gif wonderful people with  baby.gif on the way!

#9 of 9 Old 06-03-2010, 01:32 PM

EMP and the Flight Museum are free in the evening also. Good idea!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page