so glad to be back in Seattle! we need a pediatric practice asap, help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 01:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We tried one practice out and they looked at us askew a lot, recommended drugs all over the place, and showed a glaring lack of empathy with my crying 3yo. Help!! We have a medically complex child who needs the supervision of a doctor and cardiologist but I'd like to find someone a little more...progressive?Not really sure if that's the right word but better is what we are really looking for. We are in lynnwood near alderwood. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 02:00 AM

Not familiar with that area, but Dr. MaryAnn O'Hara in Seattle, who specializes in breastfeeding medicine, may know of someone good. Her info is: Dr. Maryann L. O'hara, MD 1959 Northeast Pacific Street, Seattle, WA 98195(206) 543-3101‎
Also, there are several Naturopaths who might work for you but they are mostly over on the Eastside. Would you be able to go to Kirkland?
Here is a list of breastfeeding friendly doctors who may also be more holistic:
http://www.breast-friends.org/pages/...tml#pediatrics

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#3 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Nothing close to us there, but a great resource for other services, thanks. I use a lot of homeopathy, and herbs, but I think my daughter's condition is best managed with all Ford of health care, MD's included.
#4 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM

For a ped, try Deb Zaret at the Everett Clinic Harbor Point clinic. She comes highly recommended by a friend who has used her to manage her son's multiple medical issues. From what I know of her, she's a strong believer in complimentary medicine, understands those of us who wish to explore natural options first or along side western medicine, and is just wonderful with the kids.

I'm taking my 11yo to see her today for the first time. I'll report back more if anything strikes me. I do know that her practice is often full but she's taking new patients right now, so it might be worth going to see her soon just to see if she's a good fit.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#5 of 16 Old 06-21-2010, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Came here to make the same kind of thread, but figured I'd just use the already created one! I'm looking for a ped for my 2. We're in Woodinville, but I'm open to a wide radius for someone excellent! Would LOVE to see an ND, but our insurance doesn't cover it. Want someone who doesn't care that we don't vax, foreskin knowledgeable, and won't fall off their chair upon learning my 3 yo still nurses!

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#6 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 02:10 AM

Update on Dr. Zaret:

She rocked my world! Didn't blink an eye on my non-vaxing behavior, suggested some supplements to ask my ND about to supplement the meds we are starting, explained all the options from most aggressive to least, and really heard what both of us had to say. Highly recommended!

Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#7 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 03:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
glad to hear it! Does it take a long time to get an appt as a new patient? I want ds checked fora sinus infection and dd checkedfor fluid in her ears. Like, yesterday! I really hate taking my kids to urgent care, but I don't want to wait 2+ weeks for a new pt apt either! Especially with ds gagging on his post nasel drip an throwing up all over the bed first thing every morning (and sometimes in the middle of the nigt) and dd asking me to repeat myself 3 times before she hears! It's making me so batty. I'm ready to just scrap english altogether and go 100% ASL
Posted via Mobile Device

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 03:29 AM

We see Dr. Doroshow at the Kids Clinic in north Seattle/Shoreline area. She's an MD, but also has an ND and RN on staff. She has no problem with us not vaxing, and she has IRL experience with VPD's- that was important to me, to have a ped that can recognize a VPD if we get one.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#9 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Vpd?
#10 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
Vpd?
"Vaccine preventable disease"

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#11 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post
glad to hear it! Does it take a long time to get an appt as a new patient? I want ds checked fora sinus infection and dd checkedfor fluid in her ears. Like, yesterday! I really hate taking my kids to urgent care, but I don't want to wait 2+ weeks for a new pt apt either! Especially with ds gagging on his post nasel drip an throwing up all over the bed first thing every morning (and sometimes in the middle of the nigt) and dd asking me to repeat myself 3 times before she hears! It's making me so batty. I'm ready to just scrap english altogether and go 100% ASL
Posted via Mobile Device
I was offered an appointment the next day for a sick child visit. Might take longer for a well child checkup, but I think they keep the schedule for illness visits well organized and open.

#12 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you, Dr. Deb Zaret is GREAT!
#13 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
We see Dr. Doroshow at the Kids Clinic in north Seattle/Shoreline area. She's an MD, but also has an ND and RN on staff. She has no problem with us not vaxing, and she has IRL experience with VPD's- that was important to me, to have a ped that can recognize a VPD if we get one.
Just wanted to ditto this recommendation for anyone looking at this thread in the future - we're fairly new to her practice but so far I'm very impressed with them. We had a bad experience with another practise when dd1 was a baby, so I was much more choosy this time and I'm so happy we found someone we like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayleesan View Post
Thank you, Dr. Deb Zaret is GREAT!
Glad you found what you were looking for! I just wanted to chime in and say it sounds like we live very close to you (I'm <5 min drive away from the Alderwood mall), so if you're interested in meeting up sometime, let me know. I have a 5.5 y/o dd that loves to play with all ages, and a 5 week old babe. My oldest is about to start kindergarten part-time, but will still be with me 2-3 days a week. We're always looking for things to do and other families to do it with!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#14 of 16 Old 08-09-2010, 03:16 PM

We like Dr. Shlafer in Mill Creek. We are asked at each visit if we are vaccinating, we say no, that's the end of it!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#15 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
We see her as well, she is fabulous! She is very supportive of breastfeeding and cosleeping too.

sleepytime.gif
#16 of 16 Old 08-10-2010, 02:32 AM

I've been very happy with Dr. Tracy McDaniel with One Sky Wellness in Ravenna. We have only been 2x since DS has never been sick, but she's an ND, supportive of being intact and not vaxing, and is a midwife. Right up our alley!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page