Cool areas outside Eugene? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-28-2010, 01:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey I am thinking of moving to the outskirts Eugene. I am open to a 20-30 minute radius in the country. I don't know the area very well and don't want to end up in a redneck conservative town. I like Lorane and Creswell. Any suggestions?

Also what is the scoop on the hospitals down there? Is one more birth friendly than another??

Any help greatly appreciated!!

Owlgirl w/ life partner of 7 years & Nadia Avani 12/18/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Veneta is close and liberal. They host the Oregon Country Fair
#3 of 6 Old 08-04-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Also what is the scoop on the hospitals down there? Is one more birth friendly than another??
McKenzie Willamette (in Springfield) is super awesome. Its very birth/mother/baby/breastfeeding friendly. I'd really recommend going on a tour of their birth center (some of the nurses in L&D have had home births too btw!!)

My inlaws live out in the Veneta area (well, closer in to town by Fern Ridge Lake) and I love it out there.
#4 of 6 Old 08-29-2010, 09:18 PM

Eugene and surrounding area is simply awesome. We've lived here for 10+ years and wouldn't consider leaving. I'd just come look around and discover which area most calls to you; 20-30 minutes outside of Eugene in any direction will net you a healthy co-mingling of Conservative and Liberal personalities and view-points, there are very few enclaves of one type of thinking or another. That diversity is just one of the many lovely things about our fair city and Lane county, in-general.

As for birth-friendly, we're going through PeaceHealth/Sacred Heart's birthing center and are so-far very happy with the experience. The facility is gorgeous, like a nice little lodge; not sterile or institutional at all, and the staff of midwives and nurses have been wonderful and very supportive. We just started the group birthing classes they offer and are enjoying it a lot.
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM

I've lived in Eugene for most of the past 20 years (egads!), went to high school here, moved away briefly a couple of times and never intended to settle here, yet somehow I did. There's just something special about this schizophrenic town that gets in your blood.

Both hubbie and I work in Eugene and we like living in the thick of things. If circumstances were different, though, I'd give serious thought to getting some acreage outside any city limits, maybe something in the EFU (Exclusive Farm Use) zone to keep property taxes down and get plenty of elbow room. (You don't have to farm, timber also qualifies and would make a nice income if you sold a few trees every few years). I'd be looking south and east of Eugene, maybe something near one of the reservoirs to be near summertime fun: Lowell is in that 20-30 minute radius and is my favorite small town in Lane Co., lots more going on than meets the eye. Pleasant Hill is lovely and has a reputable school district but I'd stay far, far away from anything requiring access from Highway 58, that is the most accident-prone highway I've ever heard of.

As far as our two local hospitals, of the folks I've known to go to the hospital, 1 in 3 has ended up with an unplanned c-section. Regardless of RiverBend or McKenzie Willamette. In talking with other mamas and papas, RiverBend was popular for its beautiful facility, and McKenzie Willamette was preferred for its wonderful nursing staff. I would think all area OBs would have privileges at both. We chose to go the home birth route--if anyone is ever interested, please PM me anytime and I can give you the name of the best midwife (LDM/CPM) in Lane Co.

married to my best friend (8/8/08 ), to intact (5/6/10), WA/OHM, thankful for
#6 of 6 Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 AM

My husband and I lived in Cottage Grove for a couple years.  It has some great people and places, you just have to find them.  They have a Farmer's Market on the weekends, and the Axe and Fiddle has great live music and organic baked goods. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page