Looking for park or something near Seattle Children's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-30-2010, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C has an appointment at genetics on the main campus of Seattle Children's in a week. We are planning on just driving over and then driving back the same day.
If traffic and everything goes smoothly we will get there about an hour before his appt. That isn't enough time to go check out Seattle Center like we have done in the past.

We have never been successful at finding a good place for the kids to unwind for a few to run off the 5 hr car drive.
Can anyone direct me to a park or some place that they can run it off that is near the hospital? It needs to be easily accessible so that we can get in and out and not be late for our 3:15 appt.
Thanks
#2 of 12 Old 07-30-2010, 12:52 PM

This one is fairly close. It's a park next to a community center.
http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/m...directions.htm

This one is even closer and in-between the hospital and highway

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ravenna-park-seattle

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#3 of 12 Old 07-30-2010, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much! Looks like there are a few good options that are close by.
I always meant to look it up before, but I never did and we were never able to find one by just driving around
#4 of 12 Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 AM

There's a smaller park really close to Children's. I think its called Burke Gilman park. Here http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/p...ail.asp?ID=496 Magnuson is really nice though! One thing to note too is that the 45th St Viaduct is closed through the beginning of Sept or something like that so traffic has been a little heavier than usual around there.

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#5 of 12 Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
There's a smaller park really close to Children's. I think its called Burke Gilman park. Here http://www.cityofseattle.net/parks/p...ail.asp?ID=496 Magnuson is really nice though! One thing to note too is that the 45th St Viaduct is closed through the beginning of Sept or something like that so traffic has been a little heavier than usual around there.
Thanks for the advice. We just read about that on the hospital's website so we decided to leave an hour earlier. If the traffic is too bad, we might not get any park time at all.
Boy is this gonna be a fun day
#6 of 12 Old 07-31-2010, 11:23 PM

My daughter just had open heart surgery three weeks ago at children's. They have a playground, ball court, paths for riding bikes, walking as well as games, toys, crafts, sensory table, etc in a part of the hospital. I cannot remember where exactly, but you can ask when you get there, how to get to the play structure! it is delightful there!

Good luck!
Sharon

Birth doula, doula trainer, ican leader, lamaze childbirth educator, and most importantly, mom of 2 great girls!
#7 of 12 Old 08-02-2010, 04:39 PM

Magnusson Park is 1 mile up the road from Children's. It has a network of trails and a playground, and even swimming beaches. Children's Hospital also has a shuttle bus from Magnusson's parking lot.
#8 of 12 Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalulu View Post
Can you tell me if it is always really heavy or if there are times that is worse than others. Dh is worried that maybe an extra hour won't be enough so he asked me to ask if you think that an hour gives us enough room in the early afternoon.
If we leave Spokane around 8 that would put us in the area around 1 and our appt is at 3:15. That sounds like enough time, but if the traffic is extra heavy than it might not be....opinions?

Thanks so much!
We decided if we have enough time to try magnuson park, it looks straightforward enough that we cant get lost and still blow off a little steam
#9 of 12 Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
As long as you're not trying to get here when the Blue Angels are doing their practice flights or performing (because I-90 ends up closed and then traffic is terrible) you should be fine. That'll be this coming thursday, friday, saturday, and sunday. If that's the case, you may need to try to get here really early or allow lots of extra time. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...angels03m.html

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#10 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Our appt is monday so we are just going to miss them
#11 of 12 Old 08-04-2010, 02:58 PM

We find the traffic from the contruction worse coming away from children's, not going towards it. Assuming you are coming the 520/montlake way. You may want to take 25th to 65th back to I-5 on the way home.
#12 of 12 Old 08-05-2010, 03:11 PM

I know I'm late in the game, but I usually take DD to the play area at U-village before our Children's appointments. It's a sure shot (read: NO traffic) up to Children's, which is right around the corner. The play area always has kids with the bonus of an abundance of coffee and cupcakes and other treats (provided your LO can have food before their appointment). DD also likes the little fountains & animal sculptures.

If you're looking for someplace super close to kill time & get out some kidlet energy, this is definitely your place!

Wife to my of 10 years, SAHM to my 2 beautiful homebirthed girls Sydney (4/29/2006) Kennedy (3/21/2010) & 1 super Newfoundland

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page