natural-birth friendly OB in Portland area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to Mothering.com, so I'm not sure I am asking this question in the right place. But, I am pregnant with my 2nd child and would really like to have a more fulfilling birth experience than with my first. Ideally, I would choose a birthing center or home birth with a midwife, but I have Insulin-Dependent Diabetes (for over 24 years) and had high blood pressure during my last pregnancy. I am limited to using an OB in a hospital, and I do not like my current OB. Does anyone have any suggestions for an OB who has a lot of experience with unmedicated births?
Thank you!
Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 09-07-2010, 09:24 PM

Is using a Certified Nurse Midwife for a hospital delivery a possibility? I know that CNMs attend quite a few births at many of the Portland area Hospitals. Not suggesting it, as I don't know anything about your situation. But a delivery with a CNM in a hospital might be more likely to have a natural outcome. Again, not suggesting, just wondering if that would actually be an option for your situation or not, as it might be easier to find a naturally minded hospital based CNM...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

I wish a CNM was an option - but they refer all insulin-dependent diabetics to the OBs (all the hospitals in the Portland area have this policy unfortunately). Thank you though for your idea!
Kate
#4 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 03:03 PM

That is terribly unfortunate! Again, wasn't trying to suggest it, just didn't know if it was an option or not with your situation... Best of luck to you though, and here's a *bump*

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#5 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 07:54 PM

What about Dr Ed? I can't remember the name of his practice. Anyone????
#6 of 11 Old 09-09-2010, 07:57 PM

Dr Ed Hoffman Smith from Natural Childbirth and Family Clinic. Call him! 503.252.8125
#7 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

It looks like Dr. Ed Hoffman-Smith is a naturopathic doctor who delivers at a birthing center...they don't take insulin-dependent diabetics either. If anyone knows of an OB who is natural-birth friendly and easy to work with, I am very interested!
Thanks,
Kate
#8 of 11 Old 09-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Have you checked at The Birth Survey? I know it's not a direct recommendation, but you can search for Dr's only, in Portland, who only have received a 4 or 5 star rating. I've taken the birth survey, and it was long and time consuming (almost 45 minutes). I think that any mother who would go through all the trouble to fill out that big long survey must have really liked her doc... Again, it's not a direct recommend, but it might be a start for you. (http://thebirthsurvey.org/)

Another idea, too, would be to call some of the larger local freestanding birth centers, or a few well respected local midwives, explain your situation, and see if THEY have any recommendations for which OB's might be more naturally minded in the area. I know midwives here don't really work with OB's often, but sometimes they have to, or they need to refer a woman out, etc., so they might have some good ideas for you too...

#9 of 11 Old 09-11-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you the good ideas...I will get on it!
Kate
#10 of 11 Old 09-13-2010, 04:26 AM

Dr. Oscar Polo at Women's Health Today. He was very supportive of my natural child birth. He's very calm, and has great bed side manner. I love him!!

DS:15 DD:12 DS:7 DS:5
Surrogate baby born: 9/17/12
Surrogate baby due: 12/14/14
#11 of 11 Old 09-20-2010, 09:04 PM

You may have found someone already, but I've been really happy with the OBs at Bridgeview Women's Health. My OB is Jenna Murray, but I've liked the knowledge and attitudes of all the OBs I've met there so far. They have privileges at Good Samaritan Hospital.

Happily muddled mom to baby Kiki, 11/2010

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page