Eugene or Portland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 11-06-2010, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
I've not been around on Mothering for quite sometime, since we moved to the UK, however, I've managed to land myself a trip to Eugene for the Midwifery Today conference next spring break. I have a "free" day on the Saturday and would love some great ideas of places to visit or just hang out. I have a few questions too:

How easy is it to get from Eugene to Portland if I don't have a car?
If it's easy to get to Portland, would people recommend this over spending the day in Eugene?
I'm happy just to hang in a good cafe, people watch, find somewhere to take photos, a few funky shops...doesn't have to be structured, just throw some ideas at me please?

Thanks mamas
#2 of 13 Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 PM

id rent a car and drive to the ocean (60 miles) my hometown is Florence and it's lovely. i definitely prefer Eugene over Portland
Posted via Mobile Device

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

#3 of 13 Old 11-06-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenevenstar View Post
Hi,

I'm happy just to hang in a good cafe, people watch, find somewhere to take photos, a few funky shops...
It's relatively easy to get from Eugene ot Portland with no car, but it takes a long time and trains and buses only run a couple times a day.

Based on what you'd be interested in you would probably enjoy Eugene. On Saturday you can go to our famous Saturday Market/ Farmer's market, which features great food, music, crafts, and people watching. There are some fun shops down town, cool cafes, nice parks etc.

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#4 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you !

I was beginning to conclude that Eugene was "my kinda town"
#5 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 07:06 AM

I would stay in Eugene if you only had one day free. There is the Saturday Market as mentioned, and who knows what else is going on that particular weekend. There always seems to be a couple of things going on that are interesting. I always have a good time when in Eugene. And if you do choose to not stay in Eugene, the trip to Portland is only 2-2.5 hours depending on traffic and your final destination if you find someone with a car. Without a car it's much longer and probably would end up with lots more travel time than non-travel time. But it's completely doable as a day trip in car. Just be prepared for more liquid sun than sunshine during that time of year.
#6 of 13 Old 11-07-2010, 02:49 PM

For just one day, I'd stay in Eugene. There is *plenty* to do and driving to Portland would "waste" 5 hours of your day.

#7 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 03:58 PM

Stay to Eugene and go to the Sweet Life Patisserie! I live in (and LOVE) Portland, but Portland's got nothing on the Sweet Life!

http://www.sweetlifedesserts.com/

Eugene has a good Saturday market, plenty of great restaurants and cute shops, some really beautiful parks, and a unique vibe.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#8 of 13 Old 11-08-2010, 09:35 PM

definitely stop by Sweet Life!

Deirdre partners.gif partner to Josiah , mama of jumpers.gif, and.... it's a BOY!!!! babyf.gif4/23/2011
#9 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 12:30 PM

Sweet Life for sure! And there is also the 5th Street Market.

#10 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 12:43 PM

Yes, I'd definitely stay in Eugene for the reasons listed above. smile.gif Don't forget to try out Cafe Yum while you're visiting Eugene! smile.gif

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#11 of 13 Old 11-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italiamom View Post

Stay to Eugene and go to the Sweet Life Patisserie! I live in (and LOVE) Portland, but Portland's got nothing on the Sweet Life!

Hey, we DO have Pix Patisserie!  ;-)

But yeah, as much as I love Portland, there's plenty to do in Eugene without driving five hours round trip just for one day.  Come back to Portland when you have time to spend with us and see how awesome we are up here!

#12 of 13 Old 11-24-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

I really should NOT have looked at that Sweet Life Patesserie ROTFLMAO.gif

Thanks for all your ideas and thoughts. I'll be staying in Eugene!

#13 of 13 Old 12-19-2010, 05:38 PM

I totally second Cafe Yumm - you NEED to try a Yumm bowl! And once you're addicted, I have a copycat recipe for the sauce :D not as amazing as the original but will get you tyhrough until you can come back to the real stuff!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page