Know a Physician who will do a VBAC in WA? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am looking for a physician who will do a VBAC at either Evergreen in Kirkland Wa or Providence Medical Center in Everett WA.

My first child was stuck in a transverse position and after 6+ hours of on and off pushing I had a CS.  With my second pregnancy the doctor would not even consider a VBAC and told me that no one else at the hospital would do one so I just gave in.  I really, really don't want another CS if I don't have to.  If you have any refferals please let me know.

Thanks!

#2 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Have you contacted ICAN? There are monthly meetings in Seattle. Evergreen isn't the most VBAC friendly hospital. I don't know anything about Providence. Are you completely committed to those locations? Is it because of insurance? I've heard good things about UW, Swedish, and Group Health. If its "just" distance, please consider other locations! A bit further drive can make all the difference in the world in your birth

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#3 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM

I was seeing Associated Valley Obstetrics before our insurance changed with this pregnancy. My situation is different than yours though my first was vaginal and my second was a cesarean. 

If you don't mind driving down to Renton it might be worth a call. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#4 of 15 Old 11-22-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

Have you contacted ICAN? There are monthly meetings in Seattle. Evergreen isn't the most VBAC friendly hospital. I don't know anything about Providence. Are you completely committed to those locations? Is it because of insurance? I've heard good things about UW, Swedish, and Group Health. If its "just" distance, please consider other locations! A bit further drive can make all the difference in the world in your birth

Oh I completely forgot to say in my previous post that I am now going to Group Health because of our insurance. They are so VBAC friendly. I am going to be birthing at the Capitol Hill birthing center. 

Sarah - wife, mom to Riley 7/9/03 and Jacob 7/15/05 and Hannah 1/5/11 a successful vbac.gif
#5 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I am not too committed to those locations however Swedish and UW would be a 45 minute drive for me and longer in rush hour if needed.  Renton is just WAY too far : ).

I'll have to check into Group Health and I am currently switching insurance plans so I have to find out what they will cover before I decide.  I wanted to know what other people have worked with though. 

I did look up the ICAN website but I didn't find it very helpful, I probably need to contact them directly for help. 

Thanks for the suggestions!

#6 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

The next ICAN meeting, I think, will be Dec 13th. 2nd monday of the month. Attending meetings, or joining the yahoo group, is the best way to get support! I think there are some midwives with privileges at group health that you can see without having group health insurance. I think Cindie Brown? Might have spelled her first name wrong, but I hear she's excellent. 45 minutes really isn't bad! It'll give you the best chance. I know Evergreen has a horrific c-section rate.

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#7 of 15 Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM

I also agree about getting with ICAN. There is a yahoo group you can join and ask questions there. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ICAN-Seattle/messages

You can either search for messages or post your own question, that is how I got the info I needed (including whethter Group Health would take my insurance). I truly think this is THE best way to get the resources you're looking for.

Do check out Group Health and I highly recommend getting a midwife for a hospital birth. 80% of the births at GH are midwife attended, and they take lots of insurances. There are two independent midwives also and i'm using one, so that is how I can use Regence ins. at Group Health. Keep looking, you can find a good option. The slightly extra drive is completely worth it for the right birthing atmosphere, ESP for a VBAC.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#8 of 15 Old 11-25-2010, 01:24 PM

University of Washington has some of the highest Vbac rates in the state. DD #2 was born there via C-section (my choice as she was breech and stuck). Due to my history of preterm babies and preterm labor I have to be seen by the high risk doctors. This time around we opted to use Swedish and I am planning to try a Vbac. So far my doctors have been pretty open and willing to give it a try. I am 31 weeks now complication free and keeping my fingers crossed. I am also taking my doula friend to this birth so she can assist with positions and such. She is also a vbac vetran with lots of tips and tricks to keep us out of the OR.

I recieved great care from the high risk clinic at UofW from my 23rd week until my 38th when our youngest was born. They saved our daughters life.

#9 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 09:25 AM

Group Health is definitely the hospital to go to for a VBAC in the Seattle area.  I used to work there, and it renewed my faith in hospitals offering mothers a good, safe, individualized birth experience.  I used to also work at Swedish First Hill, and it would not be my choice, personally, for a  VBAC (or any birth, for that matter).  It is a very busy hospital, and I usually felt that moms were rushed through their labors and births to make room for the next one.  It is (perhaps because of the rushed mentality) a generally very interventive environment.  But, some doc groups are better than others.  Some nurses are better than others.  But, when I was there, it was rare to find another nurse who had much experience with births that weren't the traditional pit-epi-internal monitoring-purple pushing births.  If you go there, bring a great doula.  JMO.  

OB RN, partner tobikenew.gif and mama to jog.gif (2008, 31 weeker) and babygirl.gif (2011) vbac.gif femalesling.GIF   novaxnocirc.gif  cd.gif

#10 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 AM

I agree with others that Group Health is the hospital to use for VBAC around here.

The midwives at Neighborcare Health also have hospital privileges at Group Health.  I had a successful VBAC at Group Health using them. (I saw Ann Darlington, and felt she and the other midwives worked hard to help me have the birth I wanted.)

A note about UW's c-section rate, though - they take lots of high risk patients there, so I think the stats are a bit skewed, although I don't know how VBAC friendly they really are.

#11 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 11:14 AM

With my second I was immediately offered a cesarean because he was measuring large. Note: My previous birth was vaginal. I would not recommend Swedish for a VBAC even though they are offered.

#12 of 15 Old 11-27-2010, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know. 

Thanks!

#13 of 15 Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 AM

moving to Finding Your Tribe.  Good luck and happy birthing!  :)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#14 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 06:34 PM

go to Ican for sure , Group health is your best bet but weird insurance wise , there are also several home birth midwifes who will do vbac if that's something you are comfortable with

#15 of 15 Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2soren View Post

Group Health is definitely the hospital to go to for a VBAC in the Seattle area.  I used to work there, and it renewed my faith in hospitals offering mothers a good, safe, individualized birth experience.  I used to also work at Swedish First Hill, and it would not be my choice, personally, for a  VBAC (or any birth, for that matter).  It is a very busy hospital, and I usually felt that moms were rushed through their labors and births to make room for the next one.  It is (perhaps because of the rushed mentality) a generally very interventive environment.  But, some doc groups are better than others.  Some nurses are better than others.  But, when I was there, it was rare to find another nurse who had much experience with births that weren't the traditional pit-epi-internal monitoring-purple pushing births.  If you go there, bring a great doula.  JMO.  

Wow, thanks for posting this. I am planning our birth any day now at Swedish first hill and my doctors are from the Perinatology team at Swedish. I kinda wondered about the whole pushed delivery thing when I found out women are wisked off to postpartum within hours of delivery. I am lucky in that I have a great friend is also a doula and she will be with me the whole time. I am also very, very stubborn when it comes to dealing with doctors and I WILL NOT be rushed into a repeat c-section just so someone can finish thier shift.

I am greatfull for the heads up though and if I don't like my nurse you can bet I am going to trade her out for a natural delivery friendly one because I am 110% percent against epidurals/spinals. I have had a couple of bad experiences related to surgery with them and I would walk out of a hospital before anyone is comming near my back with a needle ever again.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page