kid's dentist in Portland - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-02-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd's doctor is concerned that she may be developing some cavities, so we need to fine a dentist. I want someone who won't overreact and will be willing to try alternative treatments if possible, but if she does need traditional treatment, we want someone well-qualified for that too. We live close-in NW, but anything that's not too far out would be fine. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 12-06-2010, 11:10 PM

We've taken our daughter to see Michelle Stafford at World of Smiles and we really liked her.  They have a totally kid friendly office and were very good with our daughter.  It's in Beaverton, so it might be a little bit of a drive.  I'm not sure how much alternative treatment they do, but they didn't push to have our daughter's cavities filled right away and recommended behavioral and dietary changes we could do to slow down any decay.  They would probably be willing to work with you on an alternative treatment plan.  I think they also make a point to use mercury-free fillings.  I hope everything turns out well!

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#3 of 7 Old 12-07-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Just made her an appointment there. Thanks! I'm just really worried that they'll say she should wean or night wean, which we're not ready for, but I guess we'll see.

#4 of 7 Old 12-07-2010, 07:02 PM

I wouldn't worry about it.  They didn't tell me I had wean and our daughter who is over 2.  They just told us to wipe her teeth off after nursing her :)

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#5 of 7 Old 12-12-2010, 02:02 AM

I  see that you already have an appointment, and I hope everything works out well.  I have been taking my ds to see Dr. Pike since before his second birthday and have been very pleased with the care we've received.  It is an entirely pediatric oriented practice, and Dr. Pike the younger was thrilled (ok, maybe just glad?  He was very supportive) to hear that I've been making my own toothpaste out of coconut oil and baking soda.  I don't think they're inherently holistic, but I've been pleased with the open mindedness and respectful treatment of my child.

#6 of 7 Old 12-13-2010, 03:31 PM

I second Dr. Pike.  Their office is wonderful... we drive from Eugene to see him!  My son has lots of cavities that started early on, despite regular brushing and healthy food.  The elder Dr. Pike (there are two, father and son) let us know that it was probably genetic and comforted me about night nursing.. Another dentist had blamed me for the decay and wanted to put my 18 month old son under anesthesia at the hospital to fix all of his teeth at once.  Dr. Pike has worked with us to gradually encourage my son to become comfortable with the dentist so that now, at 3, he has had fillings/crowns without being put under.  They also put a plan together with us to arrest the decay.  The office is really kid friendly.. they don't do anything that makes the kids feel uncomfortable.  My son loves the dentist.

#7 of 7 Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Just in case others look up this thread: We saw Dr. Noel Larsen at Pediatric Dentistry in inner NE (28th & NE Wasco). She was great. Dd needed two crowns when she was just under 2 and they did a great job. She didn't recommend weaning at all (dd nursed until she was 4), just to make sure that she brushed her teeth.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page