Tell me about Coeur D'Alene! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 12-05-2010, 11:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh and I have been city dwellers our entire lives...he was raised in San Francisco and I grew up in Silicon Valley.

Last month he got laid off, for the second time in 3 years, from another lousy tech company. We're finished with it all. Finished with him working 60-80 weeks for the man only to be tossed out when they're done with him. Finished with not having any prospect of ever being able to afford our own "bit of earth."

My uncle lives in Hayden - he moved up there 5 years ago with his wife and two of their adult kids + their spouses and children. They love it, cannot say enough good things about living there.

So...I want to know anything that any of you ladies have the time to tell me about living in CDA or the surrounding areas.

Here's what we're hoping:

- We want to buy some land, with a house, because we can't afford to buy and build right now.

- Our hope is to slowly move to a more agrarian, self-sufficient lifestyle and right now we are very wet behind the ears about all of that stuff (another reason why we want to be reasonably close to CDA - food ;-)).

- Our girls are little but we are homeschooling and plan to continue.

- I've had two natural hospital births and am open to homebirth or even UC'ing (or at least my husband is...i'm a little more tentative about it ;-)), but I'd love to know if there are midwives or even A midwife in the region. ;-)

- Food wise...I'm really nervous about this one...right now we eat almost only organic, especially eggs and poultry (no red meat), raw milk and raw cheese and produce. All of these are readily available at our local markets...how's the food scene for people like us in the region?

- I read on a forum somewhere that buying property or a house up there is a nightmare because the Realtors don't tell the truth about negative issues on the property. Bad apples or is this the truth?

- Are there even places up there close to civilization that will support small family farming (for personal use, not for any commercial purposes)? Anyone know of where to buy things like hens or a goat? :-)

At this point we are in a phase of research, research, research and trying to check our idealistic, Farmer Boy notions with reality. :-) I'm ordering a few books by Joel Salatin and would love any other recommendations...

Would so love your input!

#2 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 12:49 AM

Check the real estate prices.  Again, and again, and again.  I live in the area, and, ahem, couldn't afford to buy here right now, at least not without a good $50+K in my hot little hands for a good down payment.  We bought just before the crazy uptick in 2004.  I'm still floored at what some of my friends who've bought recently think is affordable - I don't like debt and being upside down or hostage to a house payment.  All we'd be able to comfortably buy (going the same or down in mortgage debt) is either oddly placed land (trust me, been looking just. in. case.) or a 2bed/1ba bungalow or trailer for my family of 6 who wants a .25-.5 acre+ garden and chickens and so on.  Ain't gonna happen next month.  But at one point, yes, having our own little spot of land for my gardening and the kids to run around more and more elbow room from neighbors and possibly getting a u-pick farm up and running and things like that are on our 10-year plan.

Homeschooling is a breeze.  One of the best states to live in hs'ing wise.  All you have to do is provide a comparable education from ages 7-16yo.  Finding in person groups...  I'll refrain from that discussion.  Sigh.

Homebirth.  I had my last three kids born at home.  I used the same fabulous midwife group with all three.  There's a few other midwives up here if you don't click with those gals.  I have friends that have used KMC for hospital births as well, and have been happy with it as well.  You're also close to Spokane if something nuts happens and you need a bigger trauma-type center deal.  Just in case and all.  ;)

Food.  All raw, all organic is going to be expensive.  If you're ready for that $1K+/mo bill or whatever, then rock on.  I cannot do that, so I shop Super 1 [especially the sales - I was at the 12-hour baking sale a good 2 hours going in and out and in and out through the lines to stock up on things for the year), grow a boatload of my own, have my own local u-pick haunts and orchard folks, am familiar with a few of my farmer's market vendors, etc.  Raw milk... let me know if you can find it.  I know there's goat milk available, but cow milk?  Fairly underground.  Chickens.  Odds are you can keep your own.  Problem solved.  Except if you're in the county and not the city.  Sigh.  I live on a little more than a quarter of an acre, but in the county not city.  Chickens are considered livestock, and technically not allowed on less than 3/4 acre.  Whatever.  We do have a Trader Joe's coming in over in Spokane Valley (or the south hill, somewhere up there) in the next year or two - not sure on the exact timing yet.

Realtors.  There's bad apples everywhere.  There's great ones here, and bad ones to even it out.  I'd suggest not getting a fly-by-night one that just got their license when the home values were inflated and they thought they could make a quick buck though...

Um, sorta?  There's a Farm and Feed Store, D&B Farm and Home Supply... and the regular suspects nearby like Costco and Target and Albertson's and so on.  Honestly, it's a bit nuts how many things are in a close proximity here in the middle of nowhere.  ;)  Kind of nice, and none of that pesky Portland-esque traffic.

ETA:  Absolutely do not move up here without a job.  Trust me on this.  I've had friends come and go over the years because they didn't have that nailed down before moving.  Sucks when they have a house, I have to say.  :(  A gal around the corner got laid off and her house was foreclosed on.  The family across the street from her got laid off, twice - in six months - and had to do a short sale.  One neighbor has something like three mortgages on their place and can't sell at all because of how underwater they are and how much business has tanked.  :(  And Iive in a fairly normal, benign neighborhood with the rare funky or junky house (we're just the goofy house that grows zucchini in the front yard and has a boatload of firewood off to the side).

Wife to an amazing hubby, mother hen to four chicken3.gif 
(If you're curious, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2010, and yes, it's a busy house)
#3 of 23 Old 12-18-2010, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Oy. Thanks so much for the long reply!

I am so nervous about the whole business...Dh doesn't have a job up there and from what we can see the prospects are limited (especially in his field)...He's seen a few he can apply for, but then we're worried about him finding a job before we have all the moving ducks lined up and he doesn't want to leave me and the kids in SF to pack up and move by ourselves.

We have some money saved up (from steadfastly clinging to our crappy, substandard, rent controlled, slumlord-owned apartment for the last 6+ years) to put down on a house with land (the land part is pretty important to us...we're looking for 3+ acres), but I do feel like the prices are literally going up before my little eyes...probably because annoying wannabe pioneers like us keep migrating there and jacking up the housing market (sorry!!!). We're looking at areas around CDA....I've seen lots of places that I loved in a place called Spirit Lake (like 25 miles north of CDA?). I've been reading the cda press online and from the sounds of it...Rathdrum is a little dodgy?

There's just so much to think about. I think we're planning on making a trip up in the Spring...we were hoping to move then, but it seems way beyond insane to move up there without visiting first. And i'm having trouble getting past the lack of availability of raw dairy (I really that is a really dumb thing to be hung up on, but seriously, our local grocer is out of our raw cheese right now and the kids are fuh-reaking OUT about it - they have been asking for cheese like every 30 seconds, for days :-)).

I wandered away from this post to research herdshare programs for raw milk. Did you know there's a place called Natural Heritage Farms in Cocolalla that offers herdshares? It looks like it's a one-time fee of $20 and then $14/month for 1/2gal of raw milk weekly. It's not a ton of milk but that is SO much cheaper than what we pay right now in CA for 1/2 gal of raw milk ($5 plus $1.50 bottle deposit which is refunded *if* you remember to bring it back). They do poultry and eggs and grass-finished beef too.

The Hs'ing friendliness of the state is one of the things that makes it really appealing. Care to PM me about why finding in-person groups is difficult?  (If not it's okay, I understand ;-)).

Produce...I think we're just going to have to buy in season and freeze. I hear CDA has a farmer's market during the spring/summer...I got in touch with the people who run a place called Pilgrim's Market and their response to the whole produce/raw dairy was pretty much an email shoulder shrug...they were nice, but pretty much said...the area sucks for organic produce. :-) So I guess I'm going to have to fasttrack my attempts to learn how to not kill plants.

Thanks again for the response...I'm excited that there are HB midwives around there. I've had two hospital births but I've been joking to DH that he better brush up on his baby birthin' skills because he might be our midwife from now on. :-)

#4 of 23 Old 12-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Okay, I'm just going to send you a pm.  When I'm done typing.  :)

#5 of 23 Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 AM

You might check into other areas of Idaho for more of what you're looking for.  There may be more jobs further south. :)  Good luck!

#6 of 23 Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 PM

Okay, so it's been a while since you posted this, but I thought I'd chime in, anyway, late as it is.  You said that you were going to come visit in the spring, and perhaps you've already been and gone, or maybe not.  

Anyway.

I grew up in Coeur d'Alene, went away for college, and have been back with my husband since December 2006.  I'm not a mom yet, nor a homeowner, so I don't have much advice to offer with regard to those types of resources around here.  A good realtor that my husband and I have dealt with is Thomas (TJ) Barnhart with Keller Williams Realty.  He's very low pressure/no pressure, and is happy to work with you to meet your needs.  He has a bunch of clients, but gives each one attention like they're his only client.  

As far as food goes, I eat a diet fairly similar to yours.  I get milk and eggs from Heritage Farms in Cocolalla.  Since I live in the middle of Cd'A, it's about a 45 minute drive once a week.  For me it's totally worth it, but it's definitely something to know about.  Their milk and eggs are delicious.  Organic produce is available in the grocery stores.  It's maybe less abundant than the conventionally grown varieties, but it's definitely available.  Pilgrim's Market has a produce department that is almost all organic.  Super 1 Foods also has a decent organic area, as does Fred Meyer.  For meat, thought I am a Heritage Farms customer, I find their meat prices to be a bit prohibitive.  For chicken and pork I go to Tim's Special Cut Meats in Hayden.  They source their chicken and pork from fairly local farms, they visit the farms before agreeing to buy from them, and can verify that the chickens and pigs actually get access to pasture and the outdoors.  They do the same for their beef, but it's fed grain silage.  Better than feed lot fare from the supermarket, but I prefer grass fed myself.  For grass fed beef, Pilgrim's sometimes carries it in their freezer section, though it is quite expensive.  They also have grass fed yak, which is actually pretty tasty.  We mostly get our grass fed beef from RTR Ranch, which is actually in Clark Fork (kinda far away, really), but the owners come to the Saturday farmer's market during market season, and take phone orders that they bring into Coeur d'Alene in the off season.  Their prices are really reasonable.  Their only slightly more expensive than conventional beef at the supermarket, and are comparable to the hormone and antibiotic free varieties.  They're also thinking about having chicken available at this year's farmer's market.  The farmer's market (www.kootenaifarmersmarkets.org) has a pretty good selection of produce once the growing season is underway.  The market opens May 7 this year, but they mostly have plant starts for the first several weeks.  Once June/July hits, the produce selection improves dramatically and most of the farms are certified organic or use organic practices.  There are also several other farmer's markets in Liberty Lake, Spokane, and Sandpoint if you crave a different selection.  The local farmer's market has a cheese maker that makes raw milk cheese to sell at the market.  Also, several of the area grocery stores carry raw milk cheese in the organic dairy case.  Tillamook cheddar cheese is also a raw milk cheese, though it's not explicitly advertised as such.  Their cheese made from pasteurized milk all indicate "pasteurized milk" on the label, and their cheddar cheese just says "milk" (plus the enzymes and such).  Fresh cheese are pretty much the only ones that you can't get raw, but a lot of the softer, unaged cheeses are not all that hard to make at home.  I make my own mozzarella and ricotta, for example.  It's not any harder than making cookies (and requires fewer ingredients).  There's a store called Make Wine, Make Beer (or Make Beer, Make Wine, but you get the idea) that sells cheese making kits as well as the individual ingredients (minus the milk) if you don't want a whole kit.  

Anyway, that is my long winded way of saying that it's totally possible to eat a lot like you're used to around here.  Not sure how it compares price-wise to Cali, but it's definitely not impossible.  

#7 of 23 Old 04-19-2011, 07:03 AM

Also, with regard to finding land for an affordable price, you're pretty much looking in the right areas.  Rathdrum, Athol, Spirit Lake, and Twin Lakes areas in Kootenai County seem to have more land for less money compared to other places and are generally close to Coeur d'Alene.  As far as Rathdrum being dodgy...it can be.  It is a socioeconomically depressed area.  Most of the people with money that moved up here, moved into town.  Coeur d'Alene has gotten bigger and nicer, but the surrounding area?  Not so much.  Also, each of those areas harbors a fairly insular community.  Even people from Coeur d'Alene are viewed as outsiders.  This isn't to say that you can't buy a piece of property and settle in just fine.  Keep in mind, though, that it'll take a while to become part of the community.  That's true anywhere, but especially so in the more insular places.  Make an effort to be friendly and genuine with the people you meet and they'll eventually decide you're okay.  When moving to a new area, try to avoid making lots and lots of comments that start with, "In California we..."  It makes it sound like you know better than these backwoods people from North Idaho.  Even if you feel that way, it's not a quick way to make friends.  :-)  Not that you don't know that already, but it bears mentioning.  Be prepared for culture shock.  It is a very different place than SF or Silicon Valley.  You will go through a honeymoon phase at first, and then it's normal to become grumpy and depressed and even to start disliking your new place.  If you stick it out, usually you'll adjust and be happy again.  Each of the first two phases tend to vary a bit in length, and tend to be longer the more permanent the move.  (For example, if you're going someplace for a few months, the honeymoon phase might be 2 or 3 weeks, the depression phase is another 2 or 3 weeks, and then you're okay.  If it's a permanent move, the honeymoon phase could last a month or more, same with the depression phase, and then you even out and find normal again.)  Making friends in the area is important to moving through culture shock more easily.  Being aware that it will happen and is quite normal also helps.  Some people find keeping a journal is helpful as well.  That way they can articulate and work through their feelings without judgment or condemnation.  

It's a beautiful area up here and unlike anywhere else I've ever been.  There's lots of outdoor pursuits to keep you busy, if that's your cup of tea, and opportunities for arts and culture.

#8 of 23 Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

lightheartedmom, I'd love to hear an update. :) My husband & I moved up to the Portland, OR area 5 yrs ago from SF/Oakland and have been saving our pennies ever since to buy some land in the CDA/Spokane area.  I'm super duper impatient to get our move to our forever land underway!

I don't have much to offer since I don't live there. I've never even been to Idaho, LOL! But I wanted to throw out a book suggestion I love:

Finding and Buying your Place in the Country

Besides that, the main way I've been trying to prepare for our move is read books about homesteading obsessively for years on end, and cruising Spokane/CDA Craigslist near daily. Checking CL and MLS.com regularly has given me an idea of where the affordable pieces of acreage and homes are. I'm hoping for >5 acres within commute distance for my dh from CDA or Spokane. I have plans for dairy goats, fruit trees, gardening, etc. Besides Joel Salatin's books, the most amazing source of homesteading info I've found is the anthologies of Backwoods Home Magazine. The magazine is amazing, but the anthologies are just packed with nearly everything you could ever wonder about doing homesteading or food growing wise. There is also an info packed, busy msg board at Homesteading Today.com. I also adore ID based blogs. Rural Revolution is my favorite blog ever. My dh also checks in on CL now & again to keep updated on the jobs available in the area. He's a computer guy.

Anyway, it'd be fun to hear where you are in your move contemplations! :)

I've enjoyed this thread, and bookmarked it to revisit later!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#9 of 23 Old 05-01-2011, 09:58 AM

I'm not sure if the OP has been up to CDA yet, but I thought I'd chime in.

My dh and I lived in CDA for 4 years from 2005-2009. We initially moved up there because we liked the area and were looking for a lower COL than Colorado. Unfortunately we moved up there the summer the real estate took off. We were unable to afford to buy even a home in CDA, Post Falls, Hayden, anywhere, much less land. It has come down a bit from prices I've seen, but I have a feeling like IMonter said that land prices are probably still pretty high. We probably could have bought if we had stayed but by that point dh and I were ready to move on.

He worked for the school district and had a job before moving. We were hoping for the homesteading idea and me SAHMing but that wasn't going to happen. I ended up working for Parks and Rec but since I didn't have a solid profession (did have a college degree) it was really hard to find a job. Once I decided I wanted to go back to school we realized a move out of the area would be best. CDA has a small local college, but the closest state school is almost 2 hours away in Moscow. I knew several families whom one spouse was commuting to Moscos for educational pursuits. Jobs are really lacking in this area, especially well paid ones.

I was preparing for a homebirth when we left and had a wonderful midwife and there is another midwife group in Hayden.

Pilgrims does have a good amount of organic and natural food, but super overpriced in my opinion. We usually shopped at Fred Meyer and bought in their natural food section. Farmers Market is not extensive in CDA, a lot of craft items. Hayden was supposed to be better but we usually didn't make it up there on Saturday markets. Prices at the farmers market were good though (here in CO they seem pretty high in comparison).

Beautiful area, especially summers! Downtown is pretty geared towards tourism, but the lake and city park are nice.

The outer areas are VERY rural in character and in local mindset. It could work for you but just be aware. My dh could not stand the politics and some close mindedness in the area.

I have to say though that there are some very open minded people there too. It just takes some time to meet and find them. I MISS my yoga studio and found a lot of great connections and awesome people there. I'd almost move back for my yoga teacher and studio......almost.

#10 of 23 Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hello!

Thanks for your thread!

I would love to hear about your trip to CDA, Idaho.

Did you like it?

Was it too expensive, or did you find good prices at the grocery stores, etc. ?

Have you decided if Idaho is a good fit or not ?

Thanks for your help!

Good luck with your possible move.orngbiggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightheartedmom View Post

My dh and I have been city dwellers our entire lives...he was raised in San Francisco and I grew up in Silicon Valley.

Last month he got laid off, for the second time in 3 years, from another lousy tech company. We're finished with it all. Finished with him working 60-80 weeks for the man only to be tossed out when they're done with him. Finished with not having any prospect of ever being able to afford our own "bit of earth."

My uncle lives in Hayden - he moved up there 5 years ago with his wife and two of their adult kids + their spouses and children. They love it, cannot say enough good things about living there.

So...I want to know anything that any of you ladies have the time to tell me about living in CDA or the surrounding areas.

Here's what we're hoping:

- We want to buy some land, with a house, because we can't afford to buy and build right now.

- Our hope is to slowly move to a more agrarian, self-sufficient lifestyle and right now we are very wet behind the ears about all of that stuff (another reason why we want to be reasonably close to CDA - food ;-)).

- Our girls are little but we are homeschooling and plan to continue.

- I've had two natural hospital births and am open to homebirth or even UC'ing (or at least my husband is...i'm a little more tentative about it ;-)), but I'd love to know if there are midwives or even A midwife in the region. ;-)

- Food wise...I'm really nervous about this one...right now we eat almost only organic, especially eggs and poultry (no red meat), raw milk and raw cheese and produce. All of these are readily available at our local markets...how's the food scene for people like us in the region?

- I read on a forum somewhere that buying property or a house up there is a nightmare because the Realtors don't tell the truth about negative issues on the property. Bad apples or is this the truth?

- Are there even places up there close to civilization that will support small family farming (for personal use, not for any commercial purposes)? Anyone know of where to buy things like hens or a goat? :-)

At this point we are in a phase of research, research, research and trying to check our idealistic, Farmer Boy notions with reality. :-) I'm ordering a few books by Joel Salatin and would love any other recommendations...

Would so love your input!

#11 of 23 Old 06-30-2011, 11:51 PM

Hi,

Could you possibly share on this thread or via PM, information about why finding in person groups is difficult?

I would truly appreciate it!

Is the area not accepting of outsiders/out of state people?

Is it an LDS thing?

Is there a large number of LDS in Northern Idaho?

Regarding the information you posted in your previous post, regarding housing, does that still hold true now in 2011?

And when you mentioned that organic food would cost about $1000 per month (which seems  super expensivegreensad.gif) how

many people is that supposed to feed? Have prices stabilized, gone up or stayed the same in your area?

Also, are they going to build a Trader Joes & or Whole Foods in the near future close to Northern Idaho? 

If so, when is that supposed to happen?

Great thread!

Thank you for the help!thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmonter View Post

Okay, I'm just going to send you a pm.  When I'm done typing.  :)

#12 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 01:10 AM

If you have a deep freezer and buy your beef (1/4 or 1/2 cow at a time) from a localish farm you can feed your family mostly organic/natural foods for much less than 1000 a month. Buy produce at the farmers market to can and freeze. Real estate prices are still high. Local people blame it on "the Californians." You'll want to get your license plates changed over asap. Have a job lined up because the job market is definitely not the best these days.

I've never thought there was a huge LDS population. Some people do have a dislike for California and people who have moved from there. They think that people from CA want to turn Idaho into California. I never thought it was that bad, but I've heard comments about it.

One thing to keep in mind for buying milk 45 miles away from home and stuff like that...it snows a LOT and I personally don't feel comfortable driving from CDA to Cocallala most days from November to March or later. The road is mountainous, narrow in places, curvy, etc. The first year I lived here it snowed in June.

#13 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 01:40 AM

Hello "Imjustpeachytou"

Thanks so much for your reply!orngbiggrin.gif

I really need a lot of help! LOL!

Does the area have high speed internet service?

When there is a bad snowstorm, does it affect your internet connection?

Are people able to grow a lot of fruits & veggies? If so, when do they start planting, and when do they harvest?

What is the growing season?

I am just wondering since you mentioned it snowed in June...

What are your gas prices right now?

I thought since real estate prices have gone down all over the country, that would have also taken place in ID....I guess not, huh?

Thank you!!!

If you have any other input, please share!

Happy 4th of July!partytime.gif

Thanks!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustpeachytou View Post

If you have a deep freezer and buy your beef (1/4 or 1/2 cow at a time) from a localish farm you can feed your family mostly organic/natural foods for much less than 1000 a month. Buy produce at the farmers market to can and freeze. Real estate prices are still high. Local people blame it on "the Californians." You'll want to get your license plates changed over asap. Have a job lined up because the job market is definitely not the best these days.

I've never thought there was a huge LDS population. Some people do have a dislike for California and people who have moved from there. They think that people from CA want to turn Idaho into California. I never thought it was that bad, but I've heard comments about it.

One thing to keep in mind for buying milk 45 miles away from home and stuff like that...it snows a LOT and I personally don't feel comfortable driving from CDA to Cocallala most days from November to March or later. The road is mountainous, narrow in places, curvy, etc. The first year I lived here it snowed in June.

#14 of 23 Old 07-01-2011, 11:30 AM

I wanted to share our update since I last posted to this thread back in April (I am not the OP). We have a moving date! :) We're moving aug 15th. We're searching for a rental on some acreage now, anywhere within about an hour from CDA. We'll live in the rental while we scout out a piece of raw land in North ID to start building up our homestead on. It's going to be a little crazy because I'll be 34 weeks pregnant when we move! I have my sights on on a fabulous sounding farmhouse in Newport right now.... but we'll see.

I found an awesome site that I've enjoyed pouring over to learn more about the area:

city-data.com

If you look at the very top you'll see a blue circle to click to "visit forum". The Idaho forum has been fascinating & educational for me! :)

As soon as I figure out where the heck we are going to live exactly, I'll post to north idaho natural families & plead for midwife recommendations! :D And also a family doctor & dentist. I'm so sad to leave the awesome ones we have now. They are all so supportive of our weird natural ways. ;)

I'd love to hear an update from the OP. I see her location is still listed as Bay Area so perhaps their move fell through. But her thread has sure come in handy for others! orngbiggrin.gif

I've never been to Idaho, or NE WA, and won't have ever seen our rental in person before the day I move in, and will be enormously pregnant! Wahooo crazy adventures. nut.gif

Oh, I also found a pretty helpful site regarding the high speed internet situation:

http://www.highspeedinternet.com/

You can enter in a potential address of a home you're looking at & the site will show you you your options. It is not always 100%, but it sure beats having to call every.single.internet.provider on the planet one by one to ask if they cover that address. Calling the folks at high speed internet .com is super helpful, too. They don't put you on hold for 86 years, like some places!

I've found several different options, depending on exact area of your home. Down in the Worley/Plummer area there is a fiber optics company called Red Spectrum. Be warned however: they do not answer their phones or return messages. There is also a local company for some areas of N. ID called InterMax Networks. Besides that (& some others, such as Comcast or Frontier if you are in or very near Spokane or CDA), there is satellite through WildBlue or HughesNet. I've read very mixed reviews about both.

My husband will require high speed internet at home.

Also, after searching&searching&searching, if you are seeking a rental, Craigslist seems to be the only place to look.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#15 of 23 Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 AM

I've never had a hard time getting dsl internet, we couldn't get cable tv though lol. My inlaws had satellite internet and it's worked fine when I've used it. They've never mentioned it going out in snow storms or anything.

We grew a big garden last year (we've moved further south this year and live in an apartment so we can't have a garden really :( )

The growing season is short compared to places I lived before in the midwest and the south, but you can grow just about anything except maybe tropical type things. You'll have to get starts for most things, or start your own inside under lights. We did grow peas, corn, carrots, and lettuces from seed. Peas usually do especially well, they like the cooler spring I guess. My tomatoes didn't get ripe until mid to late August. Nothing really did except peas lol. A lot of people set up like greenhouse type tent things over their gardens in the spring, to keep the plants from getting frosted I guess, but we just waited until mid May to plant and hoped for the best. My dh is the green thumb in our family and he took care of most of that. It doesn't usually snow in June, but it did that first year I was here and I kept thinking what the heck did I get myself into LOL. Be sure to plan for a good set of snow tires for your vehicles in November.

I haven't been in the market for real estate recently, but from what I understand from talking to people and newspaper articles, prices in North ID have dropped but not as much as they have in most other parts of the country. It's all relative I guess too, since I moved here from a place with a very, very low cost of living. I suppose that if you're moving from somewhere with a very high COL, it might seem cheap to you? I think gas is around 3.50-3.60 right now, I don't pay a whole lot of attention since I'm not the one filling up the car and we have to buy it no matter what.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

Hello "Imjustpeachytou"

Thanks so much for your reply!orngbiggrin.gif

I really need a lot of help! LOL!

Are people able to grow a lot of fruits & veggies? If so, when do they start planting, and when do they harvest?

I am just wondering since you mentioned it snowed in June...

I thought since real estate prices have gone down all over the country, that would have also taken place in ID....I guess not, huh?

Thank you!!!

If you have any other input, please share!

Happy 4th of July!partytime.gif

Thanks!!!

#16 of 23 Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM

Could you possibly share on this thread or via PM, information about why finding in person groups is difficult?
Politics.  Think middle school drama.  I've basically been banned from a few mom groups because one of my good friends had some family issues - nothing whatsoever to do with me, other than I have their phone number written down in my address book.  So you may need to tread lightly until you feel things out so to speak.  I have had to warn folks not to mention my name at those groups, lest they get banned, too.  Sigh.  Oh, and a fair amount of groups have a religious bent to them - MOP's groups, homeschooling groups, etc.  It's been hard for me to find secular-type things, even if you are religious (and just don't want someone else shoving their doctrine down your throat).  But if you don't homeschool or have your own church, that probably wouldn't even be a problem.

Depends.  IMO, the majority of the more native folks here are independent.  They don't want gun/people control, want minimal taxes and intervention in their lives/property, etc.  So, when the ubiquitous Californians (there's folks from other states with this attitude though), they may come in with their want/need of HOA's, wanting more entitlement programs (broader Medicaid, mandatory HeadStart or reimbursed preschool, whathaveyou), more interference in their lives by having someone else take care of them/things.  And that's where a big clash can happen.

Is it an LDS thing?
Don't think so.  There's more LDS down south I believe.

I'm sure a fair amount.  I don't belong to that church though, so no idea.  I think there's what, maybe 4-5 LDS churches in the area?  Maybe a few more?  I just know there's a cannery over in Spokane Valley.

Regarding the information you posted in your previous post, regarding housing, does that still hold true now in 2011?
Prices are still falling.  Give it another year or two, and it'll be closer to 2004 levels.

And when you mentioned that organic food would cost about $1000 per month (which seems super expensive) how many people is that supposed to feed? Have prices stabilized, gone up or stayed the same in your area?
Could be a family of 4 or 6, depending on what you eat.  The growing season is from June to early September, with maybe a few weeks of cool season stuff on the ends.  So, the rest of the year, everything's trucked in, organic or not.  So, $1.50 for a single bell pepper is normal for 49 weeks of the year, raspberries will be overpriced at the grocery store (maybe $4-$6 for the little pint? I only use my yard or u-pick),

Also, are they going to build a Trader Joes & or Whole Foods in the near future close to Northern Idaho?
There's a TJ's under construction on Spokane's South Hill.  To be opened this fall or winter is the rumor.

Local people blame it on "the Californians." You'll want to get your license plates changed over asap. Have a job lined up because the job market is definitely not the best these days.
Yup.  And don't drive like an idiot.  When you see someone speeding down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic like a crazy person, odds are it's either a teenager or someone from out of state.  Sad, but true.  Oh, and here?  You pull over for emergency vehicles, and don't run red lights.  I lived in Spokane for a short while, and I even saw fire department vehicles be the 5th vehicle to run a red light.  Over here?  Everybody (everybody!) stops and pulls over for ambulances, fire trucks, cops.  In part because I do believe it's law, but it's also just nice.  In Spokane, people would slow down, but then there's be a race to get back into traffic behind the emergency vehicles to get where you're going the fastest.  Drove me nuts.  Here it just seems a smidge more civilized.

HOA's up here weren't very common before the bigger influx of Californians.  It's been a fairly recent thing, like in the last decade or two.  And yes, when you have a few Californian's complaining about the lack of higher unemployment wages and "free" medical services and "free" paid maternity leave up here and so on...  Well, there's a reason CA is pretty much bankrupt and Idaho isn't.  Responsibility and independence are kinda what made this area, and it still runs fairly strong here.

Yes, but it depends on the location.  We have Time Warner Cable's cable internet.  Verizon (Frontier?) FIOS isn't available to our neighborhood, and DSL isn't as fast as cable.  I've heard satellite internet can be spotty with weather sometimes, but if you don't need the internet for work (like we do - hubby *has* to have it since he works from home rather than commute to Houston) it may not be a big deal.  Just 5-8 miles north of me you'd have a different set of who provides internet, so it all depends.

Not me.  Cables are underground.  Now, when the power goes out or they're doing line maintenance or someone else digs/knocks out a cable line, then yeah, internet goes out.  TWC customer service is freakin' awful though, but they get to legally rob us because of the monopoly allowed to them.

Depends on the season.  If you know what you're doing and have enough land, you can do fairly well.  If you have one 4'x4' bed and think you can plant tomatoes in April, well, it may not work out so well.  I just started harvesting asparagus about three weeks ago, have gotten a handful of ripe strawberries this week (haven't hit full-on strawberry season yet), my tomato plants have maybe half a dozen tiny little green tomatoes so far, my garlic is barely starting to bulb right now, etc.  Oh, and my rhubarb is insane.  You aren't going to find fig or banana or orange or lemon trees in any yards though, and I have no idea if you can even grow sweet potatoes up here.  Peanuts also haven't fared well in my yard.  So you do need to work with the climate.  :)

Usually June to September.  You can sometimes stretch the harvest at the end or if we have a warm summer/fall, but counting on it wouldn't be smart.  If it snows in June, you hopefully watched the weather forecast and covered things up or did what you could.  Most folks farther north from the lake or river don't put tomatoes in the ground until Memorial Day weekend, if before that, the plants likely are in a greenhouse or in Kozy Koats or in makeshift hoophouses.  There are going to be microclimates as well - a friend of mine who lives a block from the river was harvesting lettuce a good month or more before I was.

$3.55 at the Exxon down the highway today.

Yes, but remember, it's all about location, location, location.  It's a nice place to live.  :)  Good weather if you can handle cold snowy winters, lots of outdoor pursuits available, lakes/rivers everywhere, a major highway and freeway a stone's throw away, fertile, arable land, low population density (especially compared to giant cities like San Francisco/Seattle/New York).
Prices *are* coming down though, so if you rent for a year or two, you might find a great deal later on.  Plus that'd give you a better idea of where you'd want to live anyway.

#17 of 23 Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM

Awesome Lmonter! Thanks for sharing all that.

I'm nervous about the high speed internet thing... my dh also has to have a fast internet connection for work, but most of the rural areas we're looking in only have satellite. Which, like I mentioned, has such mixed reviews it's maddening! :p

#18 of 23 Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

Awesome Lmonter! Thanks for sharing all that.

I'm nervous about the high speed internet thing... my dh also has to have a fast internet connection for work, but most of the rural areas we're looking in only have satellite. Which, like I mentioned, has such mixed reviews it's maddening! :p

Yeah, pretty much.  It's just all going to depend on exactly where you land what your possibilities are. 
But to be honest, even living in a neighborhood on the edge of town isn't all that bad.  Sure, I only have a third of an acre lot, but I have neighbors (we tend to keep an eye out - like when some random-looking person was taking off with our neighbor's trailer we wrote down the license plate number and chatted with them later about it), and if all hell broke loose I could still walk or bike to the grocery store (1.5 miles away) or post office/library (2 miles away) if need be.  We've dreamed on and off about having our own little plot of acreage over the years (more land to grow things, stared up a u-pick farm for me to also bring in some money, and our own well for water), but...  Once we get our house paid off in the next 5-10 years (and it's a decent enough sized house for our family of 6, sometimes 7 when grandma's visiting), I don't know that we'll want to go back into debt.  ;)  A few years ago I got to the point of being quite fine with this being our forever house and dying here in 30-50 years and started arranging the house/yard as such.  Doesn't hurt that we're on the approach for a tiny airport, and the kids totally get a kick out of when the occasional place/helicopter comes by.  :D  It's just a pain when a broken things trifecta happens...  The last few weeks we had the septic tank that needed pumped (along with a busted sewage pipe, yum), a bathroom fan that bit the dust, and busted/cranky pipes in the bathroom, kitchen and pantry/office.  Oof.   This is when renting sounds awfully appealing.  :D

#19 of 23 Old 07-04-2011, 06:17 PM

Hi lmonter,

AWESOME post!!!thumb.gif

Thank you! Thank you! Great info.! I am still trying to digest it all!

I guess if I am renting or buying, they would know
if the property has high speed internet access, right?

I am not sure if it was you or another poster in the past, from Northern Idaho

was leaving the area, I think it was work related, not sure...

Is the job situation in the area looking about the same as the rest of

the country, better or worse? 

I appreciate your help!

I wonder what happened to the original OP? Either way, its a great thread! Thanks!

Quote:

Politics.  Think middle school drama.  I've basically been banned from a few mom groups because one of my good friends had some family issues - nothing whatsoever to do with me, other than I have their phone number written down in my address book.  So you may need to tread lightly until you feel things out so to speak.  I have had to warn folks not to mention my name at those groups, lest they get banned, too.  Sigh.  Oh, and a fair amount of groups have a religious bent to them - MOP's groups, homeschooling groups, etc.  It's been hard for me to find secular-type things, even if you are religious (and just don't want someone else shoving their doctrine down your throat).  But if you don't homeschool or have your own church, that probably wouldn't even be a problem.

Depends.  IMO, the majority of the more native folks here are independent.  They don't want gun/people control, want minimal taxes and intervention in their lives/property, etc.  So, when the ubiquitous Californians (there's folks from other states with this attitude though), they may come in with their want/need of HOA's, wanting more entitlement programs (broader Medicaid, mandatory HeadStart or reimbursed preschool, whathaveyou), more interference in their lives by having someone else take care of them/things.  And that's where a big clash can happen.

Is it an LDS thing?
Don't think so.  There's more LDS down south I believe.

I'm sure a fair amount.  I don't belong to that church though, so no idea.  I think there's what, maybe 4-5 LDS churches in the area?  Maybe a few more?  I just know there's a cannery over in Spokane Valley.

Prices are still falling.  Give it another year or two, and it'll be closer to 2004 levels.

And when you mentioned that organic food would cost about $1000 per month (which seems super expensive) how many people is that supposed to feed? Have prices stabilized, gone up or stayed the same in your area?
Could be a family of 4 or 6, depending on what you eat.  The growing season is from June to early September, with maybe a few weeks of cool season stuff on the ends.  So, the rest of the year, everything's trucked in, organic or not.  So, $1.50 for a single bell pepper is normal for 49 weeks of the year, raspberries will be overpriced at the grocery store (maybe $4-$6 for the little pint? I only use my yard or u-pick),

There's a TJ's under construction on Spokane's South Hill.  To be opened this fall or winter is the rumor.

Local people blame it on "the Californians." You'll want to get your license plates changed over asap. Have a job lined up because the job market is definitely not the best these days.
Yup.  And don't drive like an idiot.  When you see someone speeding down the highway, weaving in and out of traffic like a crazy person, odds are it's either a teenager or someone from out of state.  Sad, but true.  Oh, and here?  You pull over for emergency vehicles, and don't run red lights.  I lived in Spokane for a short while, and I even saw fire department vehicles be the 5th vehicle to run a red light.  Over here?  Everybody (everybody!) stops and pulls over for ambulances, fire trucks, cops.  In part because I do believe it's law, but it's also just nice.  In Spokane, people would slow down, but then there's be a race to get back into traffic behind the emergency vehicles to get where you're going the fastest.  Drove me nuts.  Here it just seems a smidge more civilized.

HOA's up here weren't very common before the bigger influx of Californians.  It's been a fairly recent thing, like in the last decade or two.  And yes, when you have a few Californian's complaining about the lack of higher unemployment wages and "free" medical services and "free" paid maternity leave up here and so on...  Well, there's a reason CA is pretty much bankrupt and Idaho isn't.  Responsibility and independence are kinda what made this area, and it still runs fairly strong here.

Yes, but it depends on the location.  We have Time Warner Cable's cable internet.  Verizon (Frontier?) FIOS isn't available to our neighborhood, and DSL isn't as fast as cable.  I've heard satellite internet can be spotty with weather sometimes, but if you don't need the internet for work (like we do - hubby *has* to have it since he works from home rather than commute to Houston) it may not be a big deal.  Just 5-8 miles north of me you'd have a different set of who provides internet, so it all depends.

Not me.  Cables are underground.  Now, when the power goes out or they're doing line maintenance or someone else digs/knocks out a cable line, then yeah, internet goes out.  TWC customer service is freakin' awful though, but they get to legally rob us because of the monopoly allowed to them.

Depends on the season.  If you know what you're doing and have enough land, you can do fairly well.  If you have one 4'x4' bed and think you can plant tomatoes in April, well, it may not work out so well.  I just started harvesting asparagus about three weeks ago, have gotten a handful of ripe strawberries this week (haven't hit full-on strawberry season yet), my tomato plants have maybe half a dozen tiny little green tomatoes so far, my garlic is barely starting to bulb right now, etc.  Oh, and my rhubarb is insane.  You aren't going to find fig or banana or orange or lemon trees in any yards though, and I have no idea if you can even grow sweet potatoes up here.  Peanuts also haven't fared well in my yard.  So you do need to work with the climate.  :)

Usually June to September.  You can sometimes stretch the harvest at the end or if we have a warm summer/fall, but counting on it wouldn't be smart.  If it snows in June, you hopefully watched the weather forecast and covered things up or did what you could.  Most folks farther north from the lake or river don't put tomatoes in the ground until Memorial Day weekend, if before that, the plants likely are in a greenhouse or in Kozy Koats or in makeshift hoophouses.  There are going to be microclimates as well - a friend of mine who lives a block from the river was harvesting lettuce a good month or more before I was.

$3.55 at the Exxon down the highway today.

Yes, but remember, it's all about location, location, location.  It's a nice place to live.  :)  Good weather if you can handle cold snowy winters, lots of outdoor pursuits available, lakes/rivers everywhere, a major highway and freeway a stone's throw away, fertile, arable land, low population density (especially compared to giant cities like San Francisco/Seattle/New York).
Prices *are* coming down though, so if you rent for a year or two, you might find a great deal later on.  Plus that'd give you a better idea of where you'd want to live anyway.

#20 of 23 Old 07-05-2011, 11:15 AM

lmonter, we're looking for 20+ acres, with no views of a neighbor at all! LOL winky.gif

countryangels, my own experience has been that the owners & property mgt companies do not know much about the internet availability at each home. The owners either just plain don't know what company they're signed up with (& I can assume they didn't do a lot of research into their options, they just signed up with whatever they heard of), or they'll tell me who they're signed up with, but not know whether there are other options. And there often are, sometimes much better (faster) options. But most of the rural homes we call about just used dial-up because they don't work at home, and don't realize or care that there are faster options available now.

The property mgmt companies are also maddening. :p They don't know anything about the house because they don't live there, & have often never visited it. They will tell me things like "ohhhh, I'm pretty sure you could only get dial-up out there...". Or, "Why don't you call Comcast & ask them?" Then it turns out Comcast doesn't even touch that area.

That's why I like that highspeedinternet.com site. It helps me narrow down options. I also spent a ton of time Googling "high speed internet north idaho" & calling every company to ask what areas they cover.

LOL Can you tell I've spent a lot of time on this?? upsidedown.gif

ETA: If you are planning to live directly IN CDA, then Frontier should cover your high speed internet needs just fine. Same thing for Comcast IN Spokane. It's just that when you start wandering toward the outskirts & then out of city limits that things start getting iffy.

:)

#21 of 23 Old 07-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

lmonter, we're looking for 20+ acres, with no views of a neighbor at all! LOL winky.gif

countryangels, my own experience has been that the owners & property mgt companies do not know much about the internet availability at each home. The owners either just plain don't know what company they're signed up with (& I can assume they didn't do a lot of research into their options, they just signed up with whatever they heard of), or they'll tell me who they're signed up with, but not know whether there are other options. And there often are, sometimes much better (faster) options. But most of the rural homes we call about just used dial-up because they don't work at home, and don't realize or care that there are faster options available now.

The property mgmt companies are also maddening. :p They don't know anything about the house because they don't live there, & have often never visited it. They will tell me things like "ohhhh, I'm pretty sure you could only get dial-up out there...". Or, "Why don't you call Comcast & ask them?" Then it turns out Comcast doesn't even touch that area.

That's why I like that highspeedinternet.com site. It helps me narrow down options. I also spent a ton of time Googling "high speed internet north idaho" & calling every company to ask what areas they cover.

LOL Can you tell I've spent a lot of time on this?? upsidedown.gif

ETA: If you are planning to live directly IN CDA, then Frontier should cover your high speed internet needs just fine. Same thing for Comcast IN Spokane. It's just that when you start wandering toward the outskirts & then out of city limits that things start getting iffy.

:)

Okay, I suck, are you looking to rent or buy at first?  Because if you're fairly conservative/responsible (due to the area if you want to blend in more or less), I do know of a shouse for sale in a small town south of CdA...  Frontier only has DSL, sometimes FIOS in certain areas.  Time Warner Cable has cable internet in a lot of places, although I still miss the olden days of Century Communications.  Sigh.  Hubby says there's a wireless internet company (yimax?) that his old bosses use and they say it's fairly fast.  Beams off a tower up the hill from us apparently.  Sometimes the heavy snow or high winds knock their dish out of alignment which is an annoyance, but those are easy-ish fixes.  The old bosses are on 20-30 acres probably 15 miles north of CdA - a fairly wooded area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

I guess if I am renting or buying, they would know
if the property has high speed internet access, right?

I am not sure if it was you or another poster in the past, from Northern Idaho was leaving the area, I think it was work related, not sure...

Is the job situation in the area looking about the same as the rest of the country, better or worse?  I appreciate your help!

The job market/situation is about the same to less.  If you're in construction, nope, not a good time unless you already have projects lined up for the next two years.  If you're an engineer, things are picking back up as the older generation is retiring.  Other things... depends.  Yes, for most of last year my hubby was working a state away since that was the only place he could find a job.  Leaving me and the four kids (one a newborn - he missed the birth by an hour) at home by ourselves.  It wasn't fun at all.  That job finally imploded after lots of things - including 106-hour work weeks and other crap.  So hubby just up and quit (don't worry, we discussed it before he walked into the boss's office), landed an interview the next week, and now he works from our basement doing the kind of thing he enjoys, and for more money to boot.  And he also had a tentative offer from a place here in town, but not with the huge bump in salary.  We really, really, really lucked out in that regard though.  Sometimes I'm still in shock about that whirlwind that managed to work out.
If you're renting from a regular person, yeah, they may know what's available in the area.  Likely, they'll only know who *they* use.  Most folks aren't like me and hubby - checking out our options every so often.  Like the shopping around for car insurance every year or two is something I've done since college, check to see whether refinancing to a 15-year mortgage would be worth it (not right now unless closing costs are waived), seeing if FIOS is available in our neighborhood yet (nope), blah blah blah.  We're not normal.  ;)

#22 of 23 Old 07-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Wow, that's funny. I read that homeowners blog now & then, & enjoy it a lot. I didn't realize she was selling. I wonder where they are moving to! I wish they listed the price in that ad. We are planning to rent now though. We're way down in Oregon now, but plan to purchase a nice chunk of raw land in N.ID in the near future (those 30 acres sound awesome). Since we're down here & can't look at properties, we're going to rent up there & then start scouting out the land for sale. By the sound of her ad, I'd guess she must be near Worley. One of my favorite potential rental homes is out there. If only the property mgt. co. wasn't so difficult to get information out of, we would have chosen that rental. Bleh. My FIL lives in Spokane & so is going out & viewing rental properties that I send him to. :) Today he's on the opposite end of things, checking out a couple places up near Oldtown, ID.

Thanks for all the internet info. I need all I can get! ;) My dh will be continuing with the job he is working for now. He's a software guy & will be working from home. I do worry about the job situation up there. If he's unable to continue this work from home job, I hope there will be other options for him! Makes me bite my nails.

Quote:

Okay, I suck, are you looking to rent or buy at first?  Because if you're fairly conservative/responsible (due to the area if you want to blend in more or less), I do know of a shouse for sale in a small town south of CdA...  Frontier only has DSL, sometimes FIOS in certain areas.  Time Warner Cable has cable internet in a lot of places, although I still miss the olden days of Century Communications.  Sigh.  Hubby says there's a wireless internet company (yimax?) that his old bosses use and they say it's fairly fast.  Beams off a tower up the hill from us apparently.  Sometimes the heavy snow or high winds knock their dish out of alignment which is an annoyance, but those are easy-ish fixes.  The old bosses are on 20-30 acres probably 15 miles north of CdA - a fairly wooded area. 

#23 of 23 Old 07-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:

Wow, that's funny. I read that homeowners blog now & then, & enjoy it a lot. I didn't realize she was selling. I wonder where they are moving to! I wish they listed the price in that ad. We are planning to rent now though. We're way down in Oregon now, but plan to purchase a nice chunk of raw land in N.ID in the near future (those 30 acres sound awesome). Since we're down here & can't look at properties, we're going to rent up there & then start scouting out the land for sale. By the sound of her ad, I'd guess she must be near Worley. One of my favorite potential rental homes is out there. If only the property mgt. co. wasn't so difficult to get information out of, we would have chosen that rental. Bleh. My FIL lives in Spokane & so is going out & viewing rental properties that I send him to. :) Today he's on the opposite end of things, checking out a couple places up near Oldtown, ID.

They want to sell to be closer to her parents.  Last I saw (a while ago) the price was under $200K, and I do believe it's closer to a town that starts with a P.  :) 
Good luck finding a rental though, seems to be rather cutthroat lately.  A friend of mine pretty much had to outbid at an open house (go above the asking rental price) to just get a house and be done with it.  There were at least a dozen or so families touring the house from what she said.  Oof.  There was a house just a block or two from me for rent, but it goes on and off in like a week every time since it's on an acre.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page