Mothering Forum banner

Where are all the Eugene mamas and papas??

1K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  moonSnail 
#1 ·
I'm mama to a spunky 3 year old boy in Eugene, Oregon.... We're long time residents but we've been hopping from here to there a while and haven't done a great job laying down roots. Now I'm attempting to build like-minded community for ourselves and our son and it seems everyone is in hiding (Well, it is the rainy season, huh..).

So, I am an attachment parenting advocate who doesn't vaccinate, doesn't eat meat, uses cloth diapers, deplores over use of chemicals and advertising, likes to be outdoors, likes artwork and getting messing, loves stimulating conversation and clever sarcasm, doesn't mind playing in the rain, hates mega corporations, isn't overly scared of germs, supports homebirth, and likes to think for myself. My son is feisty and needs to move and explore... he loves people and needs more friends despite his parents apparent lack of social ability!

Does any of this sound like you? Do you want more awesome little ones for your child to play with, and want to have something in common with the parents, too!? Does any one that this speaks to want to start a playgroup?...(even in my neighborhood perhaps (Whiteaker!!).. I know you are out there, just around the corner!)

Happy upcoming solstice, all!!

See less See more
#2 ·
We're in the midst of buying a house in the Whitaker, just off MJ Park. I lack the inspiration to sum us up well right now, but we definitely match in many counts (esp the free thinking!).

Delayed gratification though--we live abroad right now so it will be a while still til we move in (oh and my daughter is just 9 months ). Here's hoping the tribe starts forming!

#5 ·
That sounds awesome... let's do it! Any ideas, suggestions, on where a bunch of strangers with little ones could have fun? I think it's hard to find great indoor places here to play in the winter.. which is surprising, this being Eugene and all. We also do brave the rain!

What days and times do you have available?

We can exchange ideas and info and see what works best... and maybe also find some others to join us along the way...

#6 ·
We're not really an exact match, but we are cloth diapering ,no tv in the house, free thinking, playing in the rain, green cleaning type of people.

We're in the 'hood and always looking for outdoor playmates, the shorty in the house is a rowdy 18 month boy. I think a lot of people use the Tiny Tots place in the church on Monroe but I've been resisting because I'm a fervent believer in "no bad weather only bad clothes".

#7 ·
We did the Tiny Tots thing this year because it was at monroe... which is obviously a lot closer than coburg. I had high hopes for it being this awesome thing to do and a great opportunity to meet new people but it hasn't really panned out. We don't end up there a lot and when we do, we're the only ones!

Anyway, I'd love to get to know new people.. especially in the neighborhood. I think Sladden park is awesome.. and completely abandoned! My son loves in there and we are the only ones who ever seem to go there. Up for a park date at Sladden?

I'm with you on the bad weather thing... how can you live in western Oregon and not get out in the rain??

#9 ·
Good to know about Tiny Tots. I pictured this totally crowded place with lots of plastic toys and out of control kids and didn't think I could handle it. I didn't even know about Sladden Park until your post. We go to Monroe Park a lot because it's within walking distance, and then to the park by Skinner Butte when we want to go to a fancy park or check out the geese and ducks. I'm totally up for a park date or any other sort of meet up. I do work though, so weeknights are out until the days get a little longer. We do our after 5 outside time close to home, just wandering around the neighborhood. The little guy can still take 30 minutes to go one block. Sunday mornings before lunch/nap would work...

#10 ·
Most of our free time is during the weekdays (I'm a student so I have a class each day and the rest of the time is with my son).... but Sunday mornings could work sometimes, though probably not in the next few weekends though because the month of January seems to be slammed with birthdays for me. Lots of family celebrations! So lets keep it going and hopefully we can do a Sunday morning sometime soon. I wouldn't be surprised if I run into you around the neighborhood on your evening walk, though... since we seem to live so close.

Millifiori, we haven't met up yet... I'm so excited more people are starting to join in! We are definitely in the preliminary planning stages, so feel free to throw in your ideas!

What times and days work for everyone else?

#12 ·
#13 ·
Hi. I'm a Eugene mama of a great 3yo DD. We would also be willing to get outside with a group of like-minded parents of littles. We are in the Santa Clara area, but would be willing to travel and get familiar with "new to us" parks. We haven't lived in Eugene very long so much of the city is unfamiliar to us and the exploring would do us good.

#14 ·
Hello all! It's been so beautiful outside! I just wanted to throw this out...My son and I are going to be at Sladden Park tomorrow morning (Friday) at 11ish... if anyone would like to join. :)

For those of you a little less familiar, Sladden is at N. Adams and Cheshire in the Whiteaker.

#15 ·
Hello again! Thought maybe I'd try this another time.... if it's not pouring my son and I would like to get out somewhere on Friday morning. We would love to have company and meet new friends!

Anyone interested?

If no one chimes in, then we'll go to Sladden Park around 11 am. If the mood strikes you, come out and play!

If there is definite interest, then we are willing to plan something else, somewhere else. Whatever works... we would just love to meet some other kids (and parents)!

#16 ·
Ooop! I just realized that I double scheduled myself on Friday and for some reason I can't delete the post! Anyway, we would love to get something together soon so... is anyone still interested? Any ideas?.... or we might just throw another park date out soon and see if we end up with playmates!

#18 ·
I'm always interested, but I work 9-5, M-F, so none of the dates suggested have worked for us!

Monroe Park is nice because it's within walking distance, but I must say we had an awesome picnic in Sladden Park this Sunday, the trees really make the place a nice spot on a hot day. I'm so glad to know about this park. We're loving the range that a bike with a kid seat on it is giving us.

I hope you get some nice responses.

#21 ·
I'm still interested, too!! I'm so happy folks are wanting to get something started again! Thursday works for me at any park. Friday morning I might be getting together with a group of parents at Sladden already... might be confusing... Most all other times/dates work for me, even the ones that accommodate working parents (school is out for now! YAY!).

What seems to work for most of you guys?

#22 ·
I am moving to Eugene at the end of the month with my husband and our soon to be 2 year old daughter. We would love to meet other wonderful parents and young children. I am pretty flexible as far as time and place because I don't have work yet.

Looking forward to meeting people.

Sara

#24 ·
Hi All! I'm glad to see some interest here! I originally proposed Thursday 8/11 (next week) because this week is really busy for me. I'll have more down time after this week and am looking forward to meeting people.

Let's meet a Friendly Park next Thursday morning (8/11). (I'm also open on Friday morning.)

Leftcoast--thanks for the Sladden tip! Hopefully we'll be able to plan a weekend meetup sometime soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.