Washington Mamas: where are the groovy/innovative small elementary schools? Private or Charter-ish... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 01-23-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

We live in a remote area of WA about 3 hours north of Spokane.  Our boys go to a very awesome small public school (PreK through 8th grade) with multi age classrooms, etc...snowshoeing at recess, etc.

If we ever left this area (like due to a pending job offer in Western Washington) I'd have to feel really really good about the school situation.  I know there have got to be some great little schools out there!!! I'd love to know all about them.

THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
and a HUGE surprise: I'm almost 10 weeks pregnant!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 01-24-2011, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Good question!  We will be moving to either Oregon or Washington this summer (from Alaska).  Oregon appeals more because of the school situations there-they have charter schools.  I can't figure out the Washington school system-they don't have charter schools...so unless you go private is there no choice?  How do you find the good public schools?  Hopefully someone else will chime in...

#3 of 13 Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

bumping this...the hard part about the lottery system for some of the groovy programs within a regular school  is that you have to have an address and attend the information meetings...and we aren't there yet and don't have an address...hard to decide WHERE to live if you are wanting/waiting for a specific school...LOCAL MAMAS: any hints?? And please post links to where your child goes to school that you love!!! THANKS!

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
#4 of 13 Old 01-25-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

olympia?

skagit county?

bellingham?

seattle area?

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
#5 of 13 Old 01-30-2011, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My oldest isn't quite old enough for public schools yet, but I know our district (Lake Washington) has several non-standard public schools, which are listed here: http://www.lwsd.org/Schools/Choice/Pages/default.aspx

In Bellevue, where we used to live, I'm pretty sure the only special programs were Spanish immersion and homeschool cooperative programs.

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#6 of 13 Old 01-31-2011, 01:51 PM

Here in Olympia Lincoln Elementary is extremely popular and has a great curriculum.  You have to live in the school district to attend, otherwise you can get put on a lottery system for a spot.  Otherwise we have some private options like the Waldorf school and there is one other I have heard of but the name escapes me now.  DD isn't school age yet so I don't focus on schools alot oat the moment, but have friends with older LOs who are very happy with these schools.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#7 of 13 Old 01-31-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

thanks to you both, ladies...checking them out....

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
#8 of 13 Old 02-05-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter

nukuspot: Lincoln looks amaaazing...what is the neighborhood surrounding it like? otherwise, there is a waiting list/lottery if you live out of district? we'd probably want a little bit of land, rather than right in town, but that means driving in?

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9
#9 of 13 Old 02-06-2011, 12:06 PM

If you're looking at Olympia this is a good link: http://www.localschooldirectory.com/city-schools/Olympia/WA

They just had an alternative school fair the other day that I went to as well - I'm sure they have them regularly. I pregnant with my first so I didn't pick up anything for anything about preschool (which I'm still really early on, but it sounded fun!)

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#10 of 13 Old 02-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Lincoln is located in the Capitol area which is near the state capitol.  It's a very sought after place to live especially due to Lincoln.  You won't find any acreage there, though.  We actually wanted to same thing as you--Moved out for the westside to 15 minutes out of town and was able to get 5 acres.  However we are unfortunately considered the Tumwater school district and thus are unable to enter the lottery for Lincoln.  So if you looked for acreage somewhere in the Oly school district at least you could try your luck at the lottery!  I know many people who have gotten kids into Lincoln due to the lottery so it's not impossible like playing the actual cash lotto or anything...;)

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#11 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 AM

In Marysville of all places, there is the co-op .  Not incredibly crunchy, but very tolerant of those of us who are, a great community and a chance to be hands on with your kid's education.  Head and shoulders above the district's standard schools, and I've had kids at both.  For middle school, 10th Street rocks our world.  Band, art and PE for every child, every day, only 170 kids in 3 grades with 7 teachers who see them through the entire 3 years.  We are very lucky to be there, the lottery is incredibly competitive.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#12 of 13 Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but both Northshore School District (bothell/woodinville area) and Lake Washington School District (redmond/kirkland) have co-op programs.  It is a lottery system, though.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#13 of 13 Old 02-24-2011, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, ladies...this is super helpful!!:)

Me, 42
Hubs, 44
Married 22 years
Two boys 11 and 9

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page