vaginal breech delivery at UW-- - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 01-23-2011, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

this is the third post I have made on this breech baby of mine in the last 30 minutes, so I'm sorry for anyone who keeps seeing my name on all the different forums!

Long story short, we have a footling breech baby...we're giving birth at UW...m/w just informed me that there is a doctor or doctors at UW who do vaginal breech delivery.

I'm trying to do as much cram homework as possible before my appt in 7 days.  Does ANYone have a clue who the OB or OBs might be?  Would like to do my homework on them, too. :)

thank you!

et

VBAC number 2!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 01-25-2011, 08:05 PM

I don't know who the docs are, but you could try Sally Avenson she's a CNM at Swedish, she also does home and birth center births and she rocks. I think she still does twins too.

#3 of 26 Old 01-26-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

thank you so much for posting a reply!  I talked to my m/w, she said the best doc at UW for breech is Easterling.  Just a PSA for everyone in the future. :)  We're going to try to talk to him if it turns out that baby is in the ideal position for breech vaginal.  Not 100% sure that he's footling anymore, woo hoo! 

#4 of 26 Old 01-26-2011, 07:55 PM

oh yes, I recall him from my time in midwifery school......Hope your babe stays tucked up!

#5 of 26 Old 01-31-2011, 01:53 PM

It was my knowledge from my time in midwifery school that while Dr. Easterling is pretty midwife and alternative birthing options friendly that neither he nor any other OB in W.WA does vaginal breech births.  If that is not the case I would love to know as many mamas here with breeches get forced into c-sections or else flee to OR.  I'd love if there was another option.

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#6 of 26 Old 01-31-2011, 11:03 PM

nuku there are a few HB midwifes who will do a breach

eton I hope your bith goes well and do let us know a hosptal doc who does breaches would be cool

#7 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 05:02 PM

Haven't heard of many HB MWs doing breech in a long time.  And it's really the hospital option I am interested in anyway for these purposes.  OP, please let us know what he said!

Midwife mama bellycast.gif to DD1 bouncy.gif (4.5) and DD2 h20homebirth.gif (1.5)
#8 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

nuku there are a few HB midwifes who will do a breach

eton I hope your bith goes well and do let us know a hosptal doc who does breaches would be cool

Correct, there are hb midwives doing breech. I know of at least three.

OP, I hope you find someone for the hospital!

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#9 of 26 Old 02-01-2011, 09:47 PM

cook three Ive asked around and onley know to message me please

#10 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

I will definitely let you guys know if and when I get to the famous Dr. Easterling (or anyone else who does vaginal breech at UW!).  Right now I am planning to do a version next Tuesday (I'll be 37 exactly) and if that doesn't work I'll be moving on to the discussion about vaginal breech.  In what has been my reality, I may go into labor before any of that can really happen, though.  My kidlets like to come early and my m/w (also at UW) really wanted them to consider me for a version earlier because of my propensity for early labor.  The L and D docs, however, wouldn't break with ACOG protocol on this, which is 37 weeks min. for version.  So I'm making peace with a C-section, just in case, but I never go down without a fight. :)

best,

et

still hoping for VBAC number 2!

#11 of 26 Old 02-02-2011, 11:40 PM

I'm assuming you are doing chiro and even acupuncture, etc?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#12 of 26 Old 02-03-2011, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, both and then some.

et

#13 of 26 Old 02-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Let us know what he says!  I asked a MW friend of mine who has been practicing for over 20 years about Dr. Easterling and breeches.  She said "Well I am sure he has the skills to do them but I don't know if he does them, I've never heard of him or any other OB doing them in many years."  We are both really interested in what happens for you but also I hope your version goes perfectly and you don't need to even worry about it!

#14 of 26 Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 AM

I had a client with a breech baby who actually saw him while hospitalized there.  He focused heavily on the risks of vaginal breech and basically scared the crap out of her.  When it came time for birth, she was complete and at the hospital, the doc on call offered to do a vaginal breech in the OR and she decided on the c/s.  I think for someone who is very committed to a vaginal breech it could have ended in a vaginal birth, but it's really luck of the draw on who is there when you actually have your baby.

Megan- mama to 3, midwifery student , doula, , runner , knitter .
Violet Lane Birth Services Doula care and placenta encapsulation serving Seattle to Mount Vernon
#15 of 26 Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 PM

Not sure if this is an option but I hear that breech births are accepted in Portland.

#16 of 26 Old 02-09-2011, 12:39 PM

Don't think Oregon's an option for those of us on Washington State Medical Aid with hardly a penny to their name. =( If so, I'd hop on a train in a heartbeat!

My MW had never heard of Easterling, and she started her career back in the 60s! (Nancy Spencer delivered my younger siblings at home as well as my older brothers two youngest, and I'd hoped she'd be able to deliver my babies as well)

I'm also curious to know if Dr. Easterling/any one else in the Seattle/Bellevue areas deliver breech naturally.  I'm almost 38 wks. now, and had an unsuccessful version at 36-1/2 wks. The Dr. I was recommended to by MW Nancy was a bit of a disappoinment (Dr. Michael Smith @ St. Francis in Federal Way), he didn't seem to know what he was doing, and I got a call from his office yesterday saying they'd went ahead and scheduled me for a C-section...what? NO! Not impressed! I'm sure his success rate's high, as Nancy holds him in high regards, but...I was not impressed with his methods.

But this is my first baby, and I am totally against Doctors and hospitals.  The last thing I want is a surgery that'll lock me inside for three-four days! The thought of being cut open is starting to scare the crap out of me.  Not only that but I think the complications/risks for Cesarean are more than the actual natural delivery...future births will definitely be something to worry about, not including the obvious VBAC stigma.

I'm going to start calling local hospitals anyway, just to ask around n see if there's still somebody who'll atleast consider helping me deliver naturally. It'd be nice to hear from people who already know, though! If I come up with anything I'll definitely post my findings.

#17 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 AM

Bitty a hksptl breach would always be in the OR ( just in case). I hope you find something soon ! Let me know if you want names of home birth midwives
#18 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, I did not have cause to meet with THE Dr. Easterling because my version was successful!  It's been almost 2 days and baby is still head down.  Yaaaaaay! 

I have a few other reasons I feel I am better off in the hospital for this birth, so I probably would have ended up opting for a C-Section (unscheduled, of course) if I was not able to get a good vibe from a UW OB about the vaginal breech.  So I'm super thankful for this.  Now I just need to get this baby to rotate a bit so I'm more comfortable that he'll be anterior and not another OP and then I'll be in excellent shape. :)

As far as the UW/vaginal breech issue, I can totally believe that they would discourage them.  However, interesting to note is that I did NOT find out about v/b being an option there because I asked about it.  At the first appt where DS was confirmed breech, the first words out of the m/w's mouth were, "I want you to know that no one can force you to consent to a C-Section, and that vaginal breech is an option here".  So I don't know exactly how they decide who is worthy of one ;) but she sure sounded like she believed it would be an option...and I hadn't said a word to indicate that I would NOT have a C/S...because I am not flatly opposed to that, either.  This was one of the UW CNMs, btw.  They work very closely with the OBs so I figure she would have a pretty good idea if they would take me for a v/b if I wanted one.  And she also told me when I asked outright that she personally was not a fan of vaginal breech, so I give her more credit for offering me options.  I am huge fan of the CNMs there!!

About the version, it was hella painful and long torture (and I have a super high pain tolerance) with the first attending who tried--I don't think she was quite as good with her technique, though, so this was possibly avoidable.  She knew how badly I wanted the baby head-down, so she went hunting throughout the hospital for Dr. (Zane) Brown who is the known "best in house" at versions.  He popped in for a few minutes...it took him one full turn, one attempt, about five minutes maybe? and it was a done deal.  It barely hurt--probably would have hurt less if not for the first attempt pain.  He has large hands (maybe helpful!) and a good technique according to DH who was watching both with an eye for the "mechanics" of the procedure.  Dr. Brown told me that if DS turned again, to find him (Doc) and he would turn him again for me.  I was soooo relieved.  But today I am bruised and sore!

thanks everyone, this has been such a helpful thread. :)

et

banking once again on VBAC number 2!

#19 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etonmymind View Post

Well, I did not have cause to meet with THE Dr. Easterling because my version was successful!  It's been almost 2 days and baby is still head down.  Yaaaaaay! 

I have a few other reasons I feel I am better off in the hospital for this birth, so I probably would have ended up opting for a C-Section (unscheduled, of course) if I was not able to get a good vibe from a UW OB about the vaginal breech.  So I'm super thankful for this.  Now I just need to get this baby to rotate a bit so I'm more comfortable that he'll be anterior and not another OP and then I'll be in excellent shape. :)

As far as the UW/vaginal breech issue, I can totally believe that they would discourage them.  However, interesting to note is that I did NOT find out about v/b being an option there because I asked about it.  At the first appt where DS was confirmed breech, the first words out of the m/w's mouth were, "I want you to know that no one can force you to consent to a C-Section, and that vaginal breech is an option here".  So I don't know exactly how they decide who is worthy of one ;) but she sure sounded like she believed it would be an option...and I hadn't said a word to indicate that I would NOT have a C/S...because I am not flatly opposed to that, either.  This was one of the UW CNMs, btw.  They work very closely with the OBs so I figure she would have a pretty good idea if they would take me for a v/b if I wanted one.  And she also told me when I asked outright that she personally was not a fan of vaginal breech, so I give her more credit for offering me options.  I am huge fan of the CNMs there!!

About the version, it was hella painful and long torture (and I have a super high pain tolerance) with the first attending who tried--I don't think she was quite as good with her technique, though, so this was possibly avoidable.  She knew how badly I wanted the baby head-down, so she went hunting throughout the hospital for Dr. (Zane) Brown who is the known "best in house" at versions.  He popped in for a few minutes...it took him one full turn, one attempt, about five minutes maybe? and it was a done deal.  It barely hurt--probably would have hurt less if not for the first attempt pain.  He has large hands (maybe helpful!) and a good technique according to DH who was watching both with an eye for the "mechanics" of the procedure.  Dr. Brown told me that if DS turned again, to find him (Doc) and he would turn him again for me.  I was soooo relieved.  But today I am bruised and sore!

thanks everyone, this has been such a helpful thread. :)

et

banking once again on VBAC number 2!

Oh, congratulations! I'm sorry it hurt, but what a relief! Hopefully things continue to go well!

Becky

Married to Dusty
Mama to Charlie - born August 15th.

Waiting on number two, due March 17!

#20 of 26 Old 02-10-2011, 12:00 PM

Whoo hoo !! yay for a head down baby !  little boy you stay put till you are out of there !

#21 of 26 Old 02-13-2011, 06:21 PM

That's great to hear, do come back and tell us how your VBAC goes!

#22 of 26 Old 07-06-2011, 10:19 PM

#23 of 26 Old 07-07-2011, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I apologize that I know nothing about vaginal breech births.  But, I do want to encourage you to not schedule a c/s.  The baby, in theory, could flip at any time.  Wait until you are labor and get the c/s then if necessary.  It's better for the baby to have some contractions as well.  There was a story on here a while back where a woman who went in for a c/s and literally felt the baby flip as she was getting into the OR.  She insisted on a sonogram and the baby was head down. 

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#24 of 26 Old 07-08-2011, 12:58 PM

#25 of 26 Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 PM

No personal experience but have heard great things about Suzanne. I'd be especially careful though in vetting her for breech deliveries for the higher risk they carry.

#26 of 26 Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Never had a breech baby myself, but Suzanne is my MW and I chose her specifically because of her experience and skills! 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page