WA: ESB 5005 goes into effect 7/22/11 - get your appointments with your doctors now! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 78 Old 04-03-2011, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This just makes me sick to my stomach, really. I do not live in Washington - we are in Oregon but I never thought they would pull this. I'm a christian and it saddens me to see the world changing so quickly. Freedom of Religion should stay as is and they should not be able to alter that but nobody cares.

My older 3 girls are vaccinated which I hated but didn't know of the exemption. I do not believe in putting formadehyde, mercury, ect into our bodies!! I believe these things contribute to our ever growing cancer, ect problems. I will use antibiotics when needed but I firmly believe God heals everything and gives us knowledge when we need to get meds.

I see a doctor in Washington for my kids, grrrr. What next, really?

I dont know anything about a ND I think that's what you all said doctor - do they not believe in vaccinations? Are they expensive? We are on OHP so I doubt they will pay to see one.

ugh stupid government!!!

#62 of 78 Old 04-03-2011, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

An ND is a naturopathic doctor.  They are trained differently than an MD.  I would say in general an ND is like a midwife and a MD is more like an OB.  Basically, my ND will give me the pros and cons of varioius treatments or vaccines, let me make my decisions, and doesn't lecture me on them.  My old MD would tell me what drug we needed and give me disapproving comments and looks when I refused (and did not discuss pros/cons of vaccines or drugs or treatment options).  Does that make sense?  Now, like everything, I'm sure there are MDs that are more like NDs and NDs that are more like MDs.  It's a matter of finding the good ones.  But if you live in OR you only have to worry about the OR vaccine exemption laws.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#63 of 78 Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone heard anything on this recently?  I emailed the NVIC Advocacy Portal on the 26th of March, but haven't heard anything back.  They haven't changed anything on their pages either...

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#64 of 78 Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM

DahliaRW, thanks for posting this. I checked the links to WA state legislative information but couldn't understand them. Did the bills pass? 

Can you refer me to any person or group in WA that is spearheading opposing things like this? I'd like to help out but don't know how best to.

#65 of 78 Old 04-14-2011, 05:43 PM

Hi all-

I had my appt today with an ND. It was fabulous. What a treat to be able to talk about all of these issues without fear and to have an open dialogue. 

I opened my email a bit ago and it looks like we are called to action in the next step of this process. Some of you may have received this as well- Governor Gregoire has the legislation now- time to contact her office. Here is the latest info: I am not sure if this will copy ok but I'll try- Thanks! Lisa

AdvocacyPortalbanner.png

Dear Washington NVIC Advocacy Team Members,

The fight continues against SB5005, the terrible bill that requires parents to get “educated” and a signature from those who profit from giving vaccines in order to validate your conscientious or religious exemption! 

We would like to start a huge push for everyone to do 3 things:

1)    Contact Governor Gregoire and ask her to VETO ESB5005

2)    Contact your own state Representative and Senator letting them know you have asked the governor to veto ESB5005 and ask them to request the governor veto the bill also.

3)    Pass this on to people you know who care about preserving parental rights and keeping vaccine exemptions accessible!

I also want to introduce your new NVIC Washington Team Directors, Janelle Hall and Janine Parque. They have both been instrumental in this battle and we are so excited to have them on board.  They can be reached at WADirector@NVICAdvocacy.org.

We have a chance here to not only convince the Governor that she should veto the bill but to also generate more controversy in the legislature to potentially tie the bill up in the conference process to potentially keep it from ultimately passing. 

Thank you for everything you do and let’s keep up the strong fight in Washington!  It’s not over.

Below is your action alert from Janelle with all the update information and details on our veto campaign.  Thank you!

Sincerely,

Dawn Richardson, Director of Advocacy
National Vaccine Information Center
http://NVIC.org and http://NVICAdvocacy.org
Dawn@NVICAdvocacy.org

Dear Washington NVIC Advocacy Team Members,

As you probably know by now, ESB5005 passed the House floor on Friday, March 25th with a final vote of 66 to 29.  It had already passed through the Senate in February.  We are very grateful to Representative Hinkle for offering our notarization model amendment which attempted to remove the vaccine provider education and signature requirement. This unfortunately did not pass.  We are also grateful to all the representatives who passionately debated against this bill.  

To watch the debate link here and scroll in 10 minutes and 15 seconds: 
 http://www.tvw.org/media/mediaplayer.cfm?evid=2011030146&TYPE=V&CFID=3470504&CFTOKEN=76350937&bhcp=1

To see how your own state representative ultimately voted, link to:http://flooractivityext.leg.wa.gov/rollcall.aspx?id=35825&bienId=21.

The House and Senate do not yet have a Conference Committee meeting scheduled to come to final concurrence about the wording of the bill they will present to the Governor. Both versions are posted here:http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5005.

Once the House and the Senate do reach concurrence on the wording of the bill, it will be passed to the Governor for her signature or veto.  If she receives the final version of the bill on or before April 18th, she will have five days to sign or veto the bill so we need to act quickly. 

Some people from our group met with the Governor’s policy advisor last week.  We discussed the problems with ESB5005 and asked the Governor to veto the bill.  The discussion went well.  We are hopeful that if we can show enough opposition against this bill that we may have a chance to get the Governor to veto ESB5005!

Here is what you can do:

1)  Contact Governor Gregoire and ask her to VETO ESB5005

Phone: 360-902-4111
Fax:  360-753-4110
Send an email: 
http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp
Mailing Address: Governor Christine Gregoire, Office of the Governor, PO Box 40002, Olympia, WA  98504-0002

If you previously wrote a letter to any legislators opposing the bill, just pull that up and readdress it with the request that the governor veto the bill.

Your phone call or voice mail message or could go as easy as this:

Hello.  My name is [your name] and I am calling from [your town/city], Washington.  I am calling to ask Governor Gregoire to veto ESB5005.  I am a parent who believes in informed consent for medical procedures and in parental rights for the citizens of the State of Washington.  Please veto ESB 5005.

If you don’t have a previous letter written and you have time, you can further educate the Governor by picking some of these points to share:

·             NO OTHER STATE in the entire country burdens a parent financially and emotionally by requiring them to have to visit a doctor and obtain a signature for verification of their religious or philosophical exemption form.  This bill is unconstitutional.

·             Instead, other states (like Texas) add the requirement of a notarization on an exemption form with a statement that the parent has educated themselves on the risks and benefits of vaccines. 

·             The proponents who gave testimony in the Senate and House Committee hearings on this bill, misquoted facts and statistics to better justify their position.  If the Governor were to look at the actual figures and statistics from the Washington DOH website regarding the percent of exemptions on the vaccines THAT ARE MANDATED IN WASHINGTON, instead of the figures for all vaccines on the CDC recommended list, she would see the difference between the actual numbers of exemptions in our state and those numbers testified to by proponents of this bill.

·             You are already well educated on the subject of vaccine risks and benefits.

·             You use medical practitioners not on the list of those eligible to sign forms.

·             Many doctors are openly hostile to families making educated vaccine choices and aren’t likely to sign the form or flat out throw families out of their practice if they don’t fully vaccinate.  Many pediatricians refuse to see patients if they refuse vaccines or ask for a modified vaccine schedule.

·             Parents should not have to be reliant on the pharmaceutical/vaccine paradigm of healthcare in order to direct the upbringing of their children.

·             Share any other personal reasons why this is important to your family.

If you have some extra time, contact the Governor’s advisors too.

NAME, TITLE

PHONE

EMAIL

Jonathan E. Seib, Executive Policy Advisor

360-902-0557

Jonathon.seib@gov.wa.gov

Jay Manning, Chief of Staff

360-902-4111

Jay.manning@gov.wa.gov

Jill Satran, Deputy Chief of Staff

360-902-0486

Jill.satran@gov.wa.gov

Kari Burrell, Policy Office Director

360-902-0608

Kari.burrell@gov.wa.gov

Jim Justin, Legislative Director

360-902-0486

Jim.Justin@gov.wa.gov

Cory Curtis, Communications Director

360-902-0386

Cory.curtis@gov.wa.gov

2)   Inform your own Washington State Representative and Senator that you have asked the Governor to Veto ESB5005 and request that they do the same.  You can log on to your Washington state page on http://NVICAdvocacy.org to view this alert and can be directly view to your personal state legislators and their contact information.

3)  Please forward this email note to everyone you know who cares about this issue and if you are getting this email forwarded to you from a friend, please sign up for the NVIC Advocacy Portal athttp://NVICAdvocacy.org so you can receive further updates.  You can also post this link to your facebook directly for a copy of this alert to share:http://nvicadvocacy.org/members/Resources/WAStopSB5005.aspx

Sincerely Your NVIC Advocacy Washington State Team Directors,
Janelle Hall and Janine Parque
WADirector@NVICAdvocacy.org

Dawn Richardson, Director of Advocacy
National Vaccine Information Center

http://NVIC.org and http://NVICAdvocacy.org
Dawn@NVICAdvocacy.org

NVICAdvocacysignature

Make A Difference, support NVIC. NVIC is a certified 501(c)3 Charity.

#66 of 78 Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

I was just coming to post this!  Thank you 54321.    I'm going to see if I can change the thread title.

Out of curiousity, was your appointment ending around 2:30?  I was there waiting for our appointment at that time with my ds2 and dd.

#67 of 78 Old 04-15-2011, 12:52 PM

I called and emailed and my dh called too.  I spoke to a live person and she said she would add me to the list.  Let's hope it is a big long list and we get this one vetoed!

#68 of 78 Old 04-16-2011, 11:07 AM

Out of curiousity, was your appointment ending around 2:30?  I was there waiting for our appointment at that time with my ds2 and dd.-

Wow!!! Yes- that was me and my daughter! How cool is that? 54321 was a name I came up with years ago when I was keeping our vaccination choices very..low profile- feel free to call me Lisa- and I hope I get a chance to see you again at some point :)

I am thinking of adding the link to my facebook page- I don't have too many fellow Washingtonians but..it is good to just get the word out.

Have a great day all!!

#69 of 78 Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

See OP, but this has been signed into law.

#70 of 78 Old 05-13-2011, 11:06 PM

Why do we need to get appointments with our doctors now?

#71 of 78 Old 05-13-2011, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

so, I enrolled dd in preschool for fall a couple months ago, using the older exemption. Am I going to need to get a new one? 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#72 of 78 Old 05-14-2011, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Momalea - as of July 22nd you'll be required to have a doctor's signature to file an exemption to enroll your child in school, daycare, daycamp, etc.  So my point is you might want to get it done asap so you have it.

LilStar - from my understanding it only applies to exemptions filed on or after July 22nd.  In the bill:

(2)(a) The form presented on or after the effective date of this

9 section must include a statement to be signed by a health care

10 practitioner...

#73 of 78 Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

hello,

So what do I have to do to get my kids in daycare this fall? My son will be 1 and my dd will be 4. I do not want to have to give them vax to send them to daycare! I really dislike their current doctor and the state insurance we have won't pay for another. Who can the 'health care practitioner' be? Does it have to be a MD or APRN? Can a chiro or naturopath fill out the form?

Thanks

be good family...

#74 of 78 Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

hello,

So what do I have to do to get my kids in daycare this fall? My son will be 1 and my dd will be 4. I do not want to have to give them vax to send them to daycare! I really dislike their current doctor and the state insurance we have won't pay for another. Who can the 'health care practitioner' be? Does it have to be a MD or APRN? Can a chiro or naturopath fill out the form?

Thanks

You will need a signed form to get them in UNLESS you file it before 7/22.  So if you can go to the daycare now and sign the exemption, you do not have to have the form (it's not a retroactive law, it only applies to exemptions filed on or after 7/22).  Otherwise, you'll need a health care practitioner to sign a form saying they discussed vaccines with you. 

Quote:

(3) For purposes of this section, "health care practitioner" means

29 a physician licensed under chapter 18.71 or 18.57 RCW, a naturopath

30 licensed under chapter 18.36A RCW, a physician assistant licensed under

31 chapter 18.71A or 18.57A RCW, or an advanced registered nurse

32 practitioner licensed under chapter 18.79 RCW.

#75 of 78 Old 05-27-2011, 07:17 AM

I have read through each of these posts and the links and sorry I am still a bit confused.  headscratch.gif  Sorry. 

My son is 23 months and completely un-vac'd.  In order for him, possibly in the future to go to camps, etc... I need to see his ND to get a form signed prior to 7/22? 

My head is spinning.  Thank you DahilaRW.

'09   
#76 of 78 Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantho View Post

I have read through each of these posts and the links and sorry I am still a bit confused.  headscratch.gif  Sorry. 

My son is 23 months and completely un-vac'd.  In order for him, possibly in the future to go to camps, etc... I need to see his ND to get a form signed prior to 7/22? 

My head is spinning.  Thank you DahilaRW.

No.  For any exemption you file on or after 7/22/2011 you will need to have a form signed by a liscenced healthcare practitioner (so in your case his ND).  So in a year or 2 or 3 you want to send him to school you'll need to have the form.  But, you might want to go ahead and get one next time  he is in to see his ND just so you have it whenever you may end up needing it.  You can copy the signed form, so you only ever have to get one.

#77 of 78 Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM

Thank you for the clarification. 

'09   
#78 of 78 Old 07-19-2011, 08:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)

I'm bumping this up to link you all to some additional information from NVIC: http://nvicadvocacy.org/members/Resources/NewsletterArchives/List/AvoidHCPSignatureonExemptionForm.aspx

I live in a neighboring state (Idaho) and am watching this development carefully.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page