WA: ESB 5005 goes into effect 7/22/11 - get your appointments with your doctors now! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-16-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Gregoire signed this into law.  Goes into effecct 7/22/2011

-----

Please see post #65 for an update: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1298487/wa-please-contact-your-state-reps-senators-re-vaccine-exemptions/60#post_16389617

------

Yes, this is true and it's passing through committee!  Please write to your reps and senator letting them know this should not be law!

http://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/February-2011/WA-State-Vaccine-Law-Threatens-Exemptions---Violat.aspx

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=1015&year=2011%23documents

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/billinfo/summary.aspx?bill=5005&year=2011

Find your legislator here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/DistrictFinder/Default.aspx

---

A friend pointed me to this.  I hadn't heard a thing.  Anyone else in WA know anything?  Definitely would like to get local people together to fight this if it does end up going for vote.

http://vaccineawakening.blogspot.com/2011/02/wa-state-vaccine-law-threatens.html

---

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2011, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

wow I hope this doesnt pass it just seems crazy

Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping.  This is happening and it's happening fast!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
Old 02-23-2011, 11:53 PM

Maybe also post in the vaccine forums
Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I wrote.haven't heard anything back

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLStar View Post

I wrote.haven't heard anything back

I sent my emails last night.  I'll post if I hear as well.  Usually I just get the standard form letter back.  But I did let them know that they'd loose my vote if they continue to support this bill (all 3 of mine voted yay and my senator is a supporter).  My 2 reps are republicans (but doing a wonderful job, so I still voted for them), in a very democrat area, this seems like a very unwise move!

Old 02-28-2011, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Did this pass?  When I looked at the history of the bill it seemed that it did, but I wasn't quite sure how it all works.  If it did pass, that is a bummer.

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

It has passed through committee and now is being introduced in the house and senate.  If they pass it and Gregoire signs it it will become law.  That's why it's important to write to your legislators and let them know you want them to vote NO on this.

ETA - it passed the house and is in the Senate.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:09 PM

I emailed them. It's sad how easily and quietly this is being passed.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post

I emailed them. It's sad how easily and quietly this is being passed.

Agreed.  And the lack of response to this issue even here has me frightened.  If people on mothering don't care, well, it's gonna  pass...

Old 03-02-2011, 01:39 PM

I heard about this on Facebook from a Vaccine Group and found my local representative and called and told them I DO not approve. This is scary and once this passes, it sets the stage for the rest of the country. ugh. Its more frigging hoops you have to jump through in order for our no-vaxxed kids to be in the system. Al tho, its making it more likely I wont be signing my kids up for any of their government ran programs with this being put into law. So I say whatever to them. Just more reason to educate at home.

Melissa loving my DH and DD(4yr)hearts.gif Most likely in my garden. Two angel.gif that I'll remember forever. My baby is here!!! Ethan Matthew came at 42 weeks on 5/19/10 9.10 lbs hbac.gif
Old 03-02-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

It effects more than school, however.  Want to send your kid to day or overnight camp, need to have the form.  Want to use a child care facility (even drop in), you need the form.  Want your child to go to college (private or public)?  You'll need the form, etc.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:42 PM

I got an email back from my rep, Jamie Peterson, who is a co-sponser of the bill and believes that parent should have to consult a doctor about the risks of not vaccinating.  Wants to protect public health. It's unfortunate that we have people in office who believe they have a right to police our religious beliefs and infringe on those rights.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 03-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

I'd respond back that there already IS a law requiring pediatricians to go over the benefits/risks of vaccinating. 

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM

and they do this at the same time they are cutting funding for children to see a doc inthe first place sigh  what about churchs  who dont belive in seeing a doc ?  how would they get the form signed ?  I no my doc would sign it but how many paretns have accsess to a doc that would ? 

Old 03-03-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

and they do this at the same time they are cutting funding for children to see a doc inthe first place sigh  what about churchs  who dont belive in seeing a doc ?  how would they get the form signed ?  I no my doc would sign it but how many paretns have accsess to a doc that would ? 

That's exactly the angle I took.  It would be an unfair financial burden on those without healthcare or those with insurance with copays.  Since the law does not stipulate the doctors HAS to sign, people may have to go to multiple doctors to find one who will sign.  And at what cost?

Old 03-03-2011, 11:51 AM

I also heard back from my rep, Deb Eddy, who believes it is a public health issue and in the best interest of the state to move forward.  She cannot see how it is a violation of religious freedom or a slippery slope.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

It's going before the Health Care & Wellness Committee on March 9th.  Here are the list of members to write to prior to then: http://www.leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/HCW/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx

FWIW, everyone on the committee voted yay for the bill in the house, except for representative Harris.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I wrote and recieved this back:

Thank you for your message.  I heard this bill in committee and on the Floor of the House.  I am sure there are many bills in which we can agree, but I don't think we'll agree on this one.  This bill asks parents to sign a form saying that they understand the information that was presented to them about immunization.  It does not force you to have immunizations, only that the Doctors or other medical staff have informed you of them.  I believe this bill allows for more access for the patients.

I did vote yes on this bill and it passed out of Committee and on the floor of the House.  It has now moved in the House as version HB 1015; and in the Senate as SB 5005.  Both versions have passed their respective houses and are being further considered. 

Jessica, wife to Mark, homeschooling mama to Micah (2006), Noah (2009), Owen (2012) and another on the way this August (20014)
Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 PM

I had written my reps and they said they would vote no...it was Val Stevens.

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 03-03-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrose_lee View Post

Thank you for your message.  I heard this bill in committee and on the Floor of the House.  I am sure there are many bills in which we can agree, but I don't think we'll agree on this one.  This bill asks parents to sign a form saying that they understand the information that was presented to them about immunization.  It does not force you to have immunizations, only that the Doctors or other medical staff have informed you of them.  I believe this bill allows for more access for the patients.

I did vote yes on this bill and it passed out of Committee and on the floor of the House.  It has now moved in the House as version HB 1015; and in the Senate as SB 5005.  Both versions have passed their respective houses and are being further considered. 

So is the bill only that we have been informed? Not that they agree that we are not vaccinating?

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would write back.  The bill does not require PARENTS to sign a form, it requires the DOCTOR to sign a form.  Apparently your rep didn't read the whole two sentences!

Old 03-03-2011, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applecider View Post

Quote:

So is the bill only that we have been informed? Not that they agree that we are not vaccinating?

The bill makes it so that to file an exemption, with every exemption you file you have to have a signed statement from a health care practitioner saying they discussed the pros and cons of vaccination with you.  If you read the bill reports, their underlying reasoning is that vaccine exemptions are too easy to get.  Those speaking for the bill include the AAP.  The only opponent is from some mercury/heavy metal coalition, who honestly sounds a bit flaky from the con statement.  So I think that's part of why it is passing.

This is what will be added to the current immunization law should this pass:

Quote:

The form presented on or after the

11 effective date of this section must include a statement to be signed by

12 a health care practitioner stating that he or she provided the signator

13 with information about the benefits and risks of immunization.

You can read the whole bill, the bill reports, etc at the two links in the original post.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:09 PM

Can you go to a naturapathic physician and they sign the form?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 PM

I don't think they could not let a ND sign sense they are licensed to provide primary care in this state and to give vaccines

Old 03-05-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

If you read the bill, yes, they allow liscenced NDs.

Quote:

(2) For purposes of this section, "health care practitioner" means

12 a physician licensed under chapter 18.71 or 18.57 RCW, a naturopath

13 licensed under chapter 18.36A RCW, a physician assistant licensed under

14 chapter 18.71A or 18.57A RCW, or an advanced registered nurse

15 practitioner licensed under chapter 18.79 RCW.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)

"More access" to what?  Vaccinations?  headscratch.gif

Quote:

I believe this bill allows for more access for the patients.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 03-10-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

The Bill is scheduled for public hearing in the Senate Committee on Health and Long Term Care at 1:30 on March 17th.  I don't know if that means they can take public testimony or not.  But if so, if anyone can go and voice their opinion that would be great.  If not, here are the committee members to write to:  http://www.leg.wa.gov/Senate/Committees/HEA/Pages/MembersStaff.aspx

Old 03-13-2011, 01:40 AM

Thank-you for the update DahliaRW. I just sent another slew of emails out, this time to the Health & Long Term Care committee members. I dread what passage of this bill might mean for those of us who don't vaccinate/selectively vaccinate.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:41 PM

Bumping, any movement?

I asked my nd at my kids. Dr ppt and she didn't think it would pass. Said we'd deal with the extra paperwork if it happened.

User Tag List