Talk to Me About The Seattle Area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

If you live around the Seattle area, say 30 minutes to an hour outside Seattle either way -- talk to me about it.

Anything you'd like to share is welcome! Thanks!

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 26 Old 03-06-2011, 06:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I moved here from southeast GA (after 5 years in Charleston SC) a little over 5 years ago and it was a hard adjustment for me.  After we moved here I had to deal with SAD, something that had never affected me while I was living in the sunny south.  This is my 6th winter here and winters are still hard on me.  Summers are gorgeous, I just wish I could bottle up some of that sunshine and save it for the winter months when I need it.

Oh, the other thing that was an adjustment for me was that most houses here don't have central air.  You don't need it for most of the summer, but when the temperatures get in the 90s or above (not often, but it does happen) then it can get miserable upstairs.  We have a window unit in the master bedroom and that keeps all the bedrooms bearable at night.  I do miss walking into a nice cool house on a hot summer day though!

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#3 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply -- that's probably my #1 worry, SAD or something similar. I am so used to tons and tons of sunshine and even though I complain about it sometimes orngtongue.gif ...mostly I enjoy it and believe it's a big factor in fending off the blues for me. I was wondering if a UV lamp or even the occasional tanning bed (with lots of sunscreen, primarily for the light aspect of it) would help at all.

Thanks again for your input! I welcome any other thoughts :)

Grace-based wife & mama to 2 unschoolers! One & . We live simply & mindfully. Expecting another blessing Feb 2015 Praying for another
#4 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I travel to Seattle frequently and it's always nice when we go. The public transportation is good. The buses are crowded but the Lite Rail is not and it's fast and cheap.  You can get to just about anywhere you want to go. We do not rent a car when we go because parking is horrendous in the Downtown Seattle area.  There are lots of walkers and bus riders.

Downtown is friendly. Nice people and amazing food! (sorry, I'm a foodie)

One thing I have noticed though, is that a lot of Shops in Seattle close early. Coming from Alaska where our stores are open late and even later in summer (due to the extra long daylight hours) I was unprepared for things to be closed by 5-7pm. Very odd.

Over all I love Seattle and it's one of my Big Cities of choice if we were to move.

#5 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM

We've lived here about a year and a half, and I grew up in Pittsburgh. The clouds are hard at times, so I would anticipate that especially if someone came from where you live now. That would be rough. I don't miss the icy cold winters though of western PA.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#6 of 26 Old 03-07-2011, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I would recommend supplementing with  a high level of vitamin d.  I grew up here, but even I get depressed feeling when my D levels are low.  I can just tell.  I take about 4000IUs a day (per my NDs instructions) and I feel a whole lot better on those cloudy days with it.

Other than that, I really do love this area.  I've lived here and Pittsburgh and traveled all around the country and no where really compares to here.  The summers are just beautiful!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#7 of 26 Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Yes, I imagine we'd have to supplement with Vitamin D since we'd be lacking all the sun we get now and take for granted!

#8 of 26 Old 03-09-2011, 08:01 AM

I think the big thing to know about the Seattle area before moving here it's bigger then you think I really had no idea rental rates aren't has bad further out but public trasnport is not has good the further from downtown you are although some areas are better then others . IMo you may need a car in slot of the Seattle area but it can be used lightly .
#9 of 26 Old 03-09-2011, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I have no interest in living downtown although it's a nice area. We've been out there a few times, as I mentioned a very close family member lives there and I think could provide part of the 'community' we are seeking for our children. She lives about 45 minutes outside of Seattle. I just read it rains 6 out of 7 days from October through May and that 201 days out of the year are cloudy. Ugh, that is probably the single most thing holding us back. I don't mind the cold but the overcast clouds... I really fear depression. Maybe that's why coffee is so huge out there lol ...

#10 of 26 Old 03-09-2011, 08:31 AM

Maybe also tryba sad lamp and regular vacations ? Thats what I do. We make a a point tongi soemwhere sunny every winter and have a uv lamp
#11 of 26 Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I'd definitely have to do a UV lamp if we moved. Any rec's for one or are they all pretty much the same?

#12 of 26 Old 03-10-2011, 01:34 PM

I live in Renton, and I love it!  Public transport sucks, though.  And yes, it is that rainy.  But I hope you get used to the rain and start to love it, like I do!  I get happy when it rains, and it is nicer to go hiking when it is overcast than when the sun is beating down on you.

Mama to Eris, born 9/21/2010! energy.gifbellyhair.gif@earthshod on Twitter.
#13 of 26 Old 03-12-2011, 02:26 PM

Yes, SAD is very real. Light boxes help a ton; make sure yours is 10,000 lux or higher -- this measurement isn't listed on all of them, but it is the only guideline I've read in multiple sources, and the one my doctor mentioned.  Also, it doesn't actually *rain* 6 days/week November through March, but it is *gray* that much. You can still play outside and get fresh air and exercise and not necessarily always be soaked.

Rent is supposedly super high around here in comparison to other cities (aside from San Francisco) as are home prices. The further you are outside the city (or outside Bellevue or Issaquah), the lower your rental rate is, but at the same time your public transportation options become lesser the further out you live.

#14 of 26 Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Seattle really does not get that much rain. Places like North Carolina get more rain then Seattle does. What people confuse for rain, is actually overcast misty days with not much actual rainfall.

Like the other poster said, I too actually prefer overcast days for hiking and going to the beach. I also am a firm believer that people from here actually appreciate the sun more then other places. When it is sunny here people take full advantage of it (you might not know when you will see it again).

Heidi
#15 of 26 Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! It's definitely still on the table :)

#16 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I moved to Seattle (actually just north of the city) last September from the Midwest.

There are a lot of evergreen trees in this area - moreso then Seattle proper, I think. And I don't like them. They block out what little sun we get here for most of the day. We're renting our house, and when I look for another place (assuming we stay here), I will look for something with fewer tall trees. I know people who talk about all the green here (and the green grass rather than brown or WHITE in the winter is nice) but really, it just all looks dark in the winter, IMO. I want to see some sky!

I've always liked rain, but somehow this place hasn't impressed me, weather-wise. First of all, you don't get much of a break. There are SO many cloudy, wet days, and in the winter, they're very short too, what with being so far north. Also, it hardly ever dries out. Even when the sun is shining, it doesn't seem to dry out the ground - so forget having your little kids crawl around on the ground, because they'll get wet/dirty. If you like to sit outside, as I do, look for someplace with a covered patio or deck.

Our rental costs are a bit high but not nearly as bad as when we lived in southern CA. My husband takes a bus that travels down Bothell/Lake City Way to downtown. Other than that, we don't use the public transportation much.

I'm not a big city girl, and I'm often frustrated with being here. The traffic is a major nuisance. People are hard to get to know. There are various mom groups and meetup groups but they seem to lack the closeness that I had with my previous playgroup. I think it's harder with everyone being spread out over a larger area. I'm trying to get a group started in a smaller area. I have a daughter too young for many activities (though she's getting close now) and a son in elementary school, so my outings are somewhat limited. For me, the biggest attraction here is the FOOD, though even that has its negatives, because Seattle is missing a few of the chain places and specific foods I used to like in other parts of the country. But I'm exploring new foods too. Food is definitely more expensive here (particularly in restaurants).

Visiting the Puget Sound is nice. The crunchiness factor (much higher than where I came from) is good. Lots of people interested in environmental issues, breastfeeding, and so on. OTOH, I'm not cloth diapering my little one (yet?), and I haven't caught any grief from that either. There are a lot of cloth diapering and EC folks in the groups I frequent, but there are plenty of disposable diapering moms too. I guess people are more polite. ;)

Mama to Marcus (1/05) and Arianna (3/10). hbac.gif

#17 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

Zan Ive always felt a friendly but distant thing around here it really bugs me coming from a small town

#18 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

It is called the Seattle Freeze. "We" all act like jilted lovers around here. People are friendly but it takes some time to warm up.

Heidi
#19 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM

Seattle freeze I like that never heard it put like that before

#20 of 26 Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graceie View Post

Zan Ive always felt a friendly but distant thing around here it really bugs me coming from a small town

That's why you have to live near/in a small town in WA.  I live near both Carnation and Fall City and have found people in both towns to be very very friendly.  :)

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#21 of 26 Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zannster View Post

I moved to Seattle (actually just north of the city) last September from the Midwest.

There are a lot of evergreen trees in this area - moreso then Seattle proper, I think. And I don't like them. They block out what little sun we get here for most of the day. We're renting our house, and when I look for another place (assuming we stay here), I will look for something with fewer tall trees. I know people who talk about all the green here (and the green grass rather than brown or WHITE in the winter is nice) but really, it just all looks dark in the winter, IMO. I want to see some sky!

I've always liked rain, but somehow this place hasn't impressed me, weather-wise. First of all, you don't get much of a break. There are SO many cloudy, wet days, and in the winter, they're very short too, what with being so far north. Also, it hardly ever dries out. Even when the sun is shining, it doesn't seem to dry out the ground - so forget having your little kids crawl around on the ground, because they'll get wet/dirty. If you like to sit outside, as I do, look for someplace with a covered patio or deck.

Our rental costs are a bit high but not nearly as bad as when we lived in southern CA. My husband takes a bus that travels down Bothell/Lake City Way to downtown. Other than that, we don't use the public transportation much.

I'm not a big city girl, and I'm often frustrated with being here. The traffic is a major nuisance. People are hard to get to know. There are various mom groups and meetup groups but they seem to lack the closeness that I had with my previous playgroup. I think it's harder with everyone being spread out over a larger area. I'm trying to get a group started in a smaller area. I have a daughter too young for many activities (though she's getting close now) and a son in elementary school, so my outings are somewhat limited. For me, the biggest attraction here is the FOOD, though even that has its negatives, because Seattle is missing a few of the chain places and specific foods I used to like in other parts of the country. But I'm exploring new foods too. Food is definitely more expensive here (particularly in restaurants).

Visiting the Puget Sound is nice. The crunchiness factor (much higher than where I came from) is good. Lots of people interested in environmental issues, breastfeeding, and so on. OTOH, I'm not cloth diapering my little one (yet?), and I haven't caught any grief from that either. There are a lot of cloth diapering and EC folks in the groups I frequent, but there are plenty of disposable diapering moms too. I guess people are more polite. ;)

This is basically how I feel as well.  We moved here about 4 years ago from Southern California and I hate all the gloominess and the millions of trees. Everything is always shady and cold and I really miss warm sun.

The only thing I would disagree with is the food.  Food here is terrible and way overpriced.  Groceries are easily double what I used to spend and the produce sucks.  The restaurants are pretty mediocre too.

People are really really hard to get to know up here. It took about 3 years but I finally feel like I have some good friends up here. The first few years I was so lonely and depressed.

#22 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 01:33 AM

Oh my this thread is depressing!! I moved here from Hawaii in 2003 and LOVE IT! We went to the Arboretum on Saturday and even though the day started off with some drizzle, it never really rained. The ducks and geese were on the water and we walked and walked and looked at trees and birch bark and fungus growing on rocks and walked on the floating bridges and through the cherry trees full of blossoms. It was cool enough so we never got tired walking but warm enough so we didn't need coats. We even had some pink on our cheeks from the sun that didn't seem to be out but we definitely got our vit D dose. On Friday the sun was shining so my girls dragged the kiddie pool out of the storage closet and filled it up ankle deep and splashed in it after planting some peas in our tiny patch of dirt in front. 

It rains way more in Hawaii, btw, and it's humid there. I'll take cool rain over hot and sticky rain anyday! Maybe it just depends on your perspective. I initially moved here in winter and lived in SeaTac. We bought a house in Tukwila and that was interesting - not much community there for us.  My partner and I separated and I moved to Shoreline with the children and worked full time out of the home. Since then I've also lived in Kenmore, Bothell and now Bellevue. I was actually against Bellevue before I moved here because it seemed far away and I had this impression of it being a place with no personality. But it truly is a city in a garden. There are all the amenities of a city with a thriving downtown area, tons of good restaurants, all the chain stores and restaurants (if you're into that thing), a cute little water park for the kids, lake beaches with life guards, community and rec centers with lots of activities, tons of nature areas like the Kelsey Creek watershed and Bridle Trails for horses.  We love Crossroads Mall, not for the shopping, but for the community garden, farmer's market, Monday Pokemon club at Uncle's Games, the international food in the food court (no chain restaurants there!), watching the life-size chess game going on, browsing at Half-price books with some boba tea... Also, my son is on the Autism spectrum and the Kindering center is here and the school district has been so supportive and helpful with my son. I have experience with other school districts and it was never this easy.  

Yes the Seattle Freeze is real. It's very strange. But if you're friendly and don't take it personally, it melts.  It's so strange to run into people I know at Central Market in Shoreline or PCC in Redmond or find that my son's schoolmate's mother has a picture of us at the Seattle Center Breastfeeding Awareness day from 2005 or that I have actually worked with my college professor's wife on Autism Awareness in Olympia. It's a big place but a lot smaller than you think.  

Just for reference, as an adult I have lived in Los Angeles, Oakland, Santa Cruz (CA), Dallas, Austin, San Antonio (TX) and the Big Island of Hawaii. As a child my mother took us all over the world.  I have also been to eastern Washington a bit since I've lived here and Portland and Eugene in OR and also Vancouver BC. I love the PNW. I'm not a person who likes to be hot and sweaty and I really don't mind going outdoors when it's overcast. Of course the daffodils and tulips are blooming and there are copious amounts of daisies out for making daisy chains. It's hard not to be exhilirated with nature's beauty right now - even if the sky alternates between gray and blue all day.  I stand at the bus stop with my son at 8 am every morning and the sky is always lovely, no matter the weather. 

#23 of 26 Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)

I lived in Seattle for a couple of decades before moving to near Olympia (same, but more rain).  As a professional gardener I was outside all the time working, and it helped a lot being outside in the light and fresh air, however grey it was.  Seattle is a good town.  Driving--and staying oriented!-- takes getting used to.  Bus and bike friendly for the most part.  I lived in North Seattle and loved it.  Here near Olympia, more rural, smaller town, like that too, 

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#24 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Wow. Thanks for this thread. We are considering moving to the Seattle area, and we were just there this past week. We actually loved the area and thought it was beautiful... And we thought the people seemed really friendly and nice. People obeyed traffic laws, they were okay with answering my weird questions, and the general pace of life seemed slower (we live in Philly right now).

Now I'm a little nervous. The lack of sunshine, the lack of real warmth from people (Seattle Freeze), etc... makes me hesitant. Ah, I'm so conflicted.

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#25 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 02:46 PM

It's a different kind of warmth.  The Seattle Freeze is actually kind of nice because you don't waste time thinking someone is a friend before they really are.  You keep aquaintances for a very long time here and really take your time making real friends.  I think it's preferable to the small town "everyone is my best friend" kind of thing.  Although, it did hurt my feelings a lot when I first moved here.  I thought there was something wrong with me.  I started bring books to read when we went anywhere because I couldn't count on anyone talking to me.  I guess the book made me more approachable and suddenly people started warming up.  So, I guess the trick is to look busy;) 

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

#26 of 26 Old 04-18-2011, 07:57 PM

Yes, I kind of prefer that too... though, I have to say, if we move there and I don't make any friends, it would feel really lonely :(

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page