Oregon is calling - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 08-03-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

NW2SE.... actually from all the reading i've done online, that is kind of the exact impression I got of Bend.  Though I bet it is beautiful, I am too affected by weather and want too badly to garden to be able to live there.  Not to mention my boyfriend is a computer programmer and there are just no jobs in Bend that can pay anything near what he  makes now and certainly not attain an equal level of job satisfaction.  Because of his work, it is looking like if we want to live in Oregon, Portland would probably be the spot....though most IT work is in Washington state for some reason and it would probably be wiser of us to relocate there.  I don't want to live in a big city so Portland is probably out for us and I don't know about Washington.  

#32 of 40 Old 08-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Maybe some of the mountain towns in the SE could offer y'all some options? Shorter Winters, beautiful Falls and Springs. It can be fairly hot and humid, but nothing, in my opinion after having gone to school in St. Augustine, like Florida. There are some liberal and progressive pockets here (Asheville is probably the only place I'd willingly live in the East right now). We LOVE it here. The hiking, camping, exploring, etc. is on par with that of what we did in the PNW. The agriculture and ability to grow and eat locally is incredible. It's pretty granola here, though there is some deep south money and those happy to live in the mcmansion burbs.Not sure about the IT job market though...the economy is fairly depressed here as well. Just another thought for you. No matter where you go in the PNW, those short Winter days might get you if you're tied to the light and weather...they squashed me fairly well.

Microsoft is a little outside of Seattle in Redmond, and not far from the mountains and the pass, so not AS crowded. The Eastern part of Washington is similar to Bend in the sense that it is hot in the summer and pretty arid. There are wineries, apple and stone fruit orchards in Wenatchee, but they seem to be heavily irrigated, so I don't know how successful a home garden would be.

I hope that you find a great place for your family and wish you luck on your journeys!

Warmly,

-Stacey

Stacey A. DiMuzio CD(DONA)
Bella Belly Doula Services
Birth, Postpartum, Hypno
Doula & Midwifery Assistant

Placenta Encapsulation
703.470.2727    828.484.1558
www.abellabelly.com

www.facebook.com/BellaBellyDoulaServices

A somewhat frazzled, liberal, crunchy, breastfeeding, babywearing, EC'ing, co-sleeping, non-vaxing, natural water birthing mama to the non-stop, but lovely L.B. (Okay, so she's almost 4 now and some of these things no longer apply).  smile.gif

Midwifery Assistant, Placenta and Yoga Services. CD(DONA)
#33 of 40 Old 08-12-2011, 11:48 PM

Have you looked into Corvallis?

As far as the weather goes, I'm a southern California native who has been living in the Salem area for nearly a year now.  I actually L-O-V-E the weather here.  The worst month for me was March, when it was super gloomy and the end of the second rainiest season on record.  When I started to feel like I was climbing the walls, I hit the gym in full force and also booked a week-long vacation in a much drier climate.  That helped and I think it's going to be a new family tradition.  We just booked our first tropical vacation ever and specifically planned it for March so we could get away from the late winter rain.

The rain is what allows the northwest to be so amazingly beautiful.  I can't believe our typical summer days hover in the 80's!  During the rainy season, we follow the sun.  If the clouds are blowing east, then we drive out to the coast at the end of the storm so we can get the sun.  We live our lives just as we would if it wasn't raining, and we still have plenty of fun.

As for your original question, I tend to favor Eugene over Portland... for some reason it just really resonates with me. 

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#34 of 40 Old 08-14-2011, 08:45 PM

So... We visitied Portland and LOVED IT!!!! I mean we didn't want to go home. We rented a house near Alberta street, and it was amazing. If my dogs would have been with me I would have staid. One of the biggest things that I loved that I didn't even know about... NO BUGS!!!! I mean right now here in chi-town I have like 100 mosquito bites. The whole trip with NO BUG SPRAY, I got 1 bug bite. I loved the weather, apparently for summer it was very very rainy when we were there, but it was fine. The morning were cool and the afternoons warm. We drove to the coast and it was gloomy but beautiful. We looked at houses in the banks area. 

We are planing on listing our house this winter and moving to a rental out there in the spring. Then waiting for our house here to sell while looking for a home out there to buy. Another huge draw for me was the skate scene. WOW. Skateboarding has taken a pretty good dive here in the midwest, with all the privit parks going out of business and the public parks falling apart. Out there every little town has a WOLRD CLASS skatepark. Also everyone is so NICE. Honestly it kinda bugged me... but its better than people being jerks like they are here! Another plus (not a big enough reason to move though) is how dog friendly they are! Resturants have patio areas and menus for dogs, every town has a dog park, everyone is nice to each others dogs. Its just soooo differant from here. 

sparklett likes this.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#35 of 40 Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM

Sparklett, that's how I feel - I moved here from the Phoenix area, and I think the weather is great!  When it does get trying in the spring, I do recommend going somewhere drier for a bit, though :)

Corvallis might be a good option.  That's where I'm trying to go now for some homeschool meet-ups, hoping to find some like-minded people.

sparklett likes this.
#36 of 40 Old 08-17-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post

So... We visitied Portland and LOVED IT!!!! I mean we didn't want to go home. We rented a house near Alberta street, and it was amazing. If my dogs would have been with me I would have staid. One of the biggest things that I loved that I didn't even know about... NO BUGS!!!! I mean right now here in chi-town I have like 100 mosquito bites. The whole trip with NO BUG SPRAY, I got 1 bug bite. I loved the weather, apparently for summer it was very very rainy when we were there, but it was fine. The morning were cool and the afternoons warm. We drove to the coast and it was gloomy but beautiful. We looked at houses in the banks area. 

We are planing on listing our house this winter and moving to a rental out there in the spring. Then waiting for our house here to sell while looking for a home out there to buy. Another huge draw for me was the skate scene. WOW. Skateboarding has taken a pretty good dive here in the midwest, with all the privit parks going out of business and the public parks falling apart. Out there every little town has a WOLRD CLASS skatepark. Also everyone is so NICE. Honestly it kinda bugged me... but its better than people being jerks like they are here! Another plus (not a big enough reason to move though) is how dog friendly they are! Resturants have patio areas and menus for dogs, every town has a dog park, everyone is nice to each others dogs. Its just soooo differant from here. 

Awesome!  I'm so glad you liked it!  I know what you mean about the nice people- just one more thing to like about Oregon.  Have you watched Portlandia?  It's a hilarious parody of life in Portland...and sometimes hits really close to home.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer"
#37 of 40 Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM

We LOVE Portlandia!! Its too funny! 

#38 of 40 Old 08-19-2011, 03:08 PM

I seriously wish we could move NOW! I don't want another winter here in IL! Hopefully no blizzard this year! 

#39 of 40 Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Waving from Eugene :-)

I can echo many things the others have mentioned.... yes it rains from Oct to July, coffee addicts all around, coffee shops to match. Micro brews too. Eugene is the Mecca of alternative living but the unemployment levels are *faints*. Portland is better option if securing a job is vital. You will find some level of progress living in western Oregon and especially in the Willamette Valley. But the Valley also brings... yes I am going there... seasonal allergies that are hard to rival. This has been a deal breaker for a couple of people I've known LOL

Bend is a great option for those who need more sun and much drier conditions, especially if you love to ski. Ashland is beautiful. The coast is a great place to visit but hard to find steady work there and not sure about the cost of living. Most towns rely on tourism.

Portlandia is hella funny! I swear I know people who ARE the Women and Women First bookstore owners...

Rhianna

#40 of 40 Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhianna813 View Post

Waving from Eugene :-)

I can echo many things the others have mentioned.... yes it rains from Oct to July, coffee addicts all around, coffee shops to match. Micro brews too. Eugene is the Mecca of alternative living but the unemployment levels are *faints*. Portland is better option if securing a job is vital. You will find some level of progress living in western Oregon and especially in the Willamette Valley. But the Valley also brings... yes I am going there... seasonal allergies that are hard to rival. This has been a deal breaker for a couple of people I've known LOL

Bend is a great option for those who need more sun and much drier conditions, especially if you love to ski. Ashland is beautiful. The coast is a great place to visit but hard to find steady work there and not sure about the cost of living. Most towns rely on tourism.

Portlandia is hella funny! I swear I know people who ARE the Women and Women First bookstore owners...

Rhianna

OMG the ALLERGIES!!!  Never, ever have I suffered such allergic torture as terrible what I experienced in June-July.  Turns out I'm severely allergic to cottonwood.  My eyes swelled shut (literally), I developed a yellow bubble on my eyeball, welts on my stomach, wheezing, endless sneezing.... it was terrible.  We ended up fleeing to the coast for two weeks so I could get some relief.  Next year I'm getting allergy shots just so I can function.  It was awful.  I'm hoping it was mostly due to being in a new environment and next year will be better.

As for Portlandia... my husband loves the episodes with the bicyclers.  I love the "Dream of the 90s" song.  Epic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page