PDX area cost comparison for gluten/dairy free staples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-27-2011, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cross posting this in Finding Your Tribe and Nutrition & Good Eating

I'm going gluten and dairy free next week when I can do my monthly grocery shopping. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how costs for GF/DF basics compare between Fred Meyer, Whole Foods, New Seasons and Trader Joe's. by basics I mean things like GF flours, GF/DF bread, soy/rice milk, things like that. Because we have no vehicle I can't traipse around between stores but if one store tends to be better in price than others, I'd love to know. And are there any other options, like a co-op? (I love, love, loved First Alternative Co-op when I lived in Corvallis!) I can fairly easily get to places on bus lines in Tigard, Beaverton, Hillsboro and somewhat into that side of Portland. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 PM

New Seasons has the best variety, though not always the best prices. You can hit the bulk bins there, which helps.

Trader Joes has the best prices on things like soy milk and Gorilla Munch cereal, but they don't have flours. They have a good GF brownie mix, though, and the GF pancake mix is passable.

If you do a lot of baking or scratch cooking, see if you can get someone to drive you to the Bob's Red Mill store in Milwaukie. Most if not all of their GF products are available in bulk (you can order online, too; not sure what delivery costs).

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#3 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 12:10 PM

I've found Freddies to be expensive, though probably not as expensive as Whole Foods. Safeway now has a limited GF section, too.  And remember there is lots of GF stuff in a regular grocery store, like brown rice, corn chips, etc.

Karen love.gif James -- DS drum.gif (2/07) DD baby.gif (11/05/10) angel1.gif (9/05) (10/09)
#4 of 4 Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Karen! I got my flours at Whole Foods this month and hope to go make it out to Bob's Red Mill next month to get things in bulk--that would help so much. I've picked up a few things at Fred Meyer and also at Harvest Fresh in McMinnville. And I have coconut-lemon muffins in the oven right this very moment and am planning on baking chocolate chip cookies too. So far, so good. love.gif

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page