Beacon Hill? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're finally returning home to Seattle. Only the last time we lived there, we didn't have a kid.  We're very familiar with the city, neighborhoods and stuff in general but I need help with kid-specific stuff.

So, suggestions on:

Parks for kids? (We're most familiar with parks for dogs)

Indoor play spaces?

Favorite kid-friendly restaurant? By a miracle, is it soy-free?

Pediatricians? We'll be on a United Healthcare plan.

AP/babywearing/natural family living groups?

Other Mothering families that want to get together?

Awesome stuff I've missed in the two years I was gone?

We'll be on Beacon Hill near Wing Luke Elementary and the munchkin will be 20 months at move time, if that impacts your suggestions at all.

Thanks!

Meaghan (29)  Torq's wife (34); Niall's SAHM (9/09); Rivka's birthmom (6/03)
#2 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 01:57 PM

I do not live in Seattle but have lived near for years.  I would recommend The Seattle Holistic Center (near Wallingford) as a great place to meet with folks with similar wants/needs as you are describing. 

http://www.seattleholisticcenter.com/

http://www.seattleholisticcenter.com/classes/parenting/open-door

'09   
#3 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 02:28 PM

I think I've seen your posts on our meetup.com group :)

I'm not super familiar with Beacon Hill, but I can tell you all about North Seattle. 

Our awesome family practice doctor is in Ravenna--Dr Allison Kniesl. She shares an office with naturopaths and gives the best of both the natural living and Western medicine worlds. She is my doctor as well as my daughter's.

Indoor play areas...we love the community center toddler areas and toddler gyms (if you google it, there is a list somewhere on Seattle.gov.) We also love Cloud City Coffee (Maple Leaf), Serendipity Cafe (Magnolia), and Mosaic Coffeehouse (Wallingford.)

My daughter will be 2 in June and we'd love to get together :)

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#4 of 13 Old 05-10-2011, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Xantho:  Thanks!

ihugtrees:  Awesome - thanks!  I'd love to get in touch and get together.  I've met some of my best parent-friends on Mothering. :)  I can be reached at ladymeag at gmail.  I have been posting on Seattle AP Meetup group.  I co-organize the Bay Area Attached Families meetup down here, so I was glad to see the Seattle meetup. 

Keep the suggestions coming, if you guys have them!  :)

#5 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 10:03 PM

Heeeeey!  We are in S. Seattle too (between columbia city and rainier beach).  There is an awesome playground at 23rd and yesler and a coffee shop (with good coffee and sandwiches) called Tougo  that has a play area on 18th and union.  Seward park also put in new play equipment that is really nice.

My son is only 3mos, but we take him to the Odessa Brown Clinic (Dr. Danielson) but so far I have been really happy with them.  

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

#6 of 13 Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the recommendations!  A coffee shop with a toddler play area - I've been dreaming of such a thing for months.  They have one in San Francisco, in the city, with a playtime limit and a minimum purchase (plus they charge for use of the toys in addition to use of the playarea and and and).  

#7 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymeag View Post

We're finally returning home to Seattle. Only the last time we lived there, we didn't have a kid.  We're very familiar with the city, neighborhoods and stuff in general but I need help with kid-specific stuff.

So, suggestions on:

Parks for kids? (We're most familiar with parks for dogs)

Indoor play spaces?

Favorite kid-friendly restaurant? By a miracle, is it soy-free?

Pediatricians? We'll be on a United Healthcare plan.

AP/babywearing/natural family living groups?

Other Mothering families that want to get together?

Awesome stuff I've missed in the two years I was gone?

We'll be on Beacon Hill near Wing Luke Elementary and the munchkin will be 20 months at move time, if that impacts your suggestions at all.

Thanks!

I looked up the area on Beacon Hill and it's quite south.  We live in Georgetown which would be a little north of where you live. 

Parks: there's a great spray park at the Tukwila community center and we're getting a new one in Georgetown at the end of the summer.  I don't know what constitutes a GREAT park but I find the one by New Holly is fine and we have a couple in G'town that work as well.  I think you'll find the parks further north tend to be nicer, but my kiddo doesn't really care. 

Indoor Play: there's an open gym at Seattle Gymnastics that's pretty awesome.  It's in Columbia City but worth the trek.  I'm not a fan of the community center open gyms but my kid also is very sensitive to noise and they tend to be quite noisey.  There's also an indoor sand volley ball court just opened in Georgetown and they currently have Mama's Time for $20 where you can go play and leave your kids supervised in a play area.  $20 is steep just to play so I'm hoping they might just have some cheaper open play time in the future.  Further north is Tougo, mentioned already, but owned by a very nice man (Brian) who has a little girl, and I also like Vios on 19th, awesome Greek food and a nice clean play area.  My biggest complaint is that their food is spendy and delicious, a bad combination. 

Kid-Friendly Restaurant: hmmmmmm...we love Taco Del Mar.  On Sundays kids eat free and if you eat before 5:00 you can get two tacos for $2.59, making dinner for four around $5.  Sweet.  I don't know about soy.  And check out The Hangar in G'Town, just north of Boeing.  It's a nice little cafe and if you hit on the weekdays, pretty chill.  I love the owner, Justin.  Again, don't know about the soy on The Hangar either.  And Vios!

Peds: We see Christina Gutierrez at Ground Floor Health.  She's family practice ND and a midwife.  Not in the south-end.

AP/Natural Living Families: it sounds like you're already hooked up with the API meetup group.  There's also an API yahoo group run by Seattle API that's quite active.  http://www.apiseattle.org should give you the calendar and info. 

Other: since you're true-south, we go to the New Holly library all of the time.  They have baby story time on Mondays at 1:30 and one for bigger kids on Weds or Thursday.  If you venture to South Park there's a great wading pool that is rarely very busy.  I also love White Center for all of its coolness and grunginess.  We hang at Full Tilt and Zippy's and I want to try Proletariat Pizza, plus the Salvadorean Bakery and they have a tortilla factory where you can get tortillas dirt cheap.  And check out the saturday market in Georgetown as well.

Hope that helps.  I love living in the dirty south! 

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#8 of 13 Old 05-14-2011, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'm a fan of Georgetown, especially Stellar Pizza! :)

It is a south Beacon Hill location - Beacon Hill is one of the more vague neighborhoods in Seattle.  Would you believe that they don't have Taco Del Mar ("Mission Style Burritos") here in the SF Bay area, where "the Mission" is?  So strange!

I have hooked into both the Meetup group and Yahoo groups.  I'm having a bit of trouble with the calendar for the Yahoo group and emails to the coordinator/info email seem to go unanswered.  (I'm sure it's just a busy parent thing. :) But the Google calendar has me locked out.)

Thanks for the other recs - I'll add them to my information!  I'm excited for Full Tilt - I have a friend that raves. 

#9 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 08:04 AM

as I was going to sleep last night I remembered Seward Park for play grounds - It's less than a year old and pretty awesome, plus I love walking on the lake. They also have a nature conservancy there and programs, like hikes and an owl prowl.

I'll PM you with the calendar coordinator's email. She's usually quite responsive, so her email vs. a generic email might work better.

#10 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome - thanks for the help!  The play structures at Seward Park were pretty nice when I was there two years ago for my birthdaughter's birthday, I'm kind of surprised they replaced them!

#11 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Your going back to my old stomping grounds!!  Seward park is THE BEST - and your baby is a tad young for this now, but in the summer they do shut down Lake Washington Blvd one Saturday or Sunday a month and only allow bicycles - which is a GREAT way to spend a nice day with kids (since its shut down to cars, its mostly families, and most serious riders steer clear those days) - starting at Seward Park and going quite a ways north, although I'm not sure where they re-open the road.  It's awesome, and we always had fun with it when I was a kid.

I really love Mt. Baker Beach (Seward Parks beach gets a little gross), and the Seattle lifeguards are incredible - a lifeguard beat my mom to my little brother one time when she only a few feet away, he wasn't even in trouble, he had just fallen down at the waters edge.  Seattle Children's Museum is really fun, and the Science Center has some fun kid stuff to do  - although your LO is a bit too young for that yet.

There is also a brand new playground at Seward Park Ave and Henderson St (the Rainier Beach Boatlaunch), which is very nice - my DS loved it when we visited last summer.

Have fun!!!

#12 of 13 Old 05-15-2011, 11:35 AM

I'm going to check out the playground at the boat launch. Sounds neat.

#13 of 13 Old 05-16-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the beach tips - I'm hoping to introduce my son to a beach soon.  He's only played in creeks with nice, smooth river-rocks in the bottom around here, so we'll see how he likes it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page