Starting New Mothers Group in N. Seattle - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Having been a nanny and doula for a while I have seen the benefits of PEPS, and I really like the idea.  However, I am not interested in paying a fee to have a moderator tell the group what we should be talking about.  And I have also noticed that there is a particular demographic that attends PEPS groups, and though many of them are lovely people, they are not people I'm likely to become friends with.  I'm interested in starting an alternative to PEPS in N. Seattle.

I certainly don't think people should be, or need to be like me, in fact most of my friends are not people that look like they would be my friends on paper.  But I feel there are a lot of resources for the average Seattle style parent, so I'm looking to create something a little different.  

A little about me:

I'm 23 weeks pregnant, 28, married, intentionally live a low key, low income lifestyle.  Would like to not be stressed about money anymore, but even with lots of money we would remain in a small house and live off free stuff from Craigslist and second hand items.  I attended Waldorf for a long time and as a result I love handmade dolls and wooden toys that I feel have a "soul", but I love the plastic, completely unnecessary nicknacks my in-laws send us from Japan.  We intend to co-sleep, use cloth diapers and nurse for an extended period, but flexible enough realize that not everything always works out as we intend.  We are planning a home birth.  I am both wholesome, and very snarky and sarcastic.  I know the importance of patience and kindness, but I'm comfortable with anger, other people's and my own.  My husband likes to play devil's advocate and likes balance.  As a result he can get a bit antagonistic if we are in a hippie Waldorf type crowd, or becomes very "wholesome" and hippie amongst a more mainstream group of people.  We tend to balance each other well.  No matter who he is around, he is strongly pro home birth and family bonding, and very supportive of me and my pregnancy/our baby.  Both of us have a lot of visible tattoos.  

We got married young, which was not a popular choice for peers in our community.  We don't have any friends with kids.  I know our life will change a lot and I'd like to know people (other than clients) that can relate to being alone with a baby all day and leaky breasts.  Ideally I'd like to make some friends in the neighborhood (Maple Leaf) so that we can walk to each others houses and socialize while our babies play, nurse, and nap.  As a birth and postpartum doula I am of course happy to offer up my knowledge to other pregnant and postpartum moms. 

PM me if you are interested.  I'm looking forward to meeting y'all.

Married to my favorite person (together since '01, married since '05), the hapa papa to my queeuty quapa DD, born 10/11.

We baby wear, co-sleep, cloth diaper, don't vax and intend to nurse for a good long time.  

I don't care what you do as long as it works for your family.

#2 of 2 Old 06-17-2011, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Oops, meant to pm :)

Amara ~ Married to my HS sweetheart, we're having a blast with baby Z (1/29/2011)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page