PDX Pediatrician/Family doc who does house calls? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're expecting our second in August, and I'd like to have a newborn exam done in the first few weeks or so, but I have a terrible doctor's office phobia.  I don't want to take my (hopefully) perfectly well newborn into an office filled with sick people!  Does anyone know of any peds or family docs in Portland proper who will do house calls?  We're in SE, and I obviously expect to pay more for a house call.  But it would be worth it to our family to have someone come to us.  Any suggestions?

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

I assume that you're not having a homebirth? Midwives do come out & provide the newborn exams, post partum exams for you, the metabolic test, etc. for the first several weeks (mine come out for the 1st 6 weeks). I LOVE that.

Otherwise I'm not helpful as I've not ever heard of house calls done besides by midwives.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#3 of 3 Old 07-05-2011, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having a homebirth, and I'm well aware that my midwives will provide initial newborn exams, the PKU testing, etc.  I'm also looking for as little headache as possible if an issue does arise.  One home visit from a family doc can save hours of headaches later, believe me.  I have ZERO interest in taking my new baby out of the house before 8 weeks of age, but I'd like to establish some kind of relationship with a "real" doctor before then, thus my post.

We had a pediatrician in Bend who did house calls, and who was wonderful.  I was hopeful that in a big ol' city like Portland, the same might be available...

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page