Field trip ideas needed for Idaho & Oregon - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I've been offered a midwifery apprenticeship in Oregon, so it looks like our family is going to be making the drive from upstate New York to Lebanon, Oregon this fall.

We'll be driving along I-84 and Rt. 20 for this part of the trip and I am looking for field trip suggestions for stops along the way.

Our children will be 11, 8, 6, and 4 when we make the trip. We've always homeschooled and I'm thinking we'll treat this like the biggest homeschool field trip we've ever had.

What can you suggest that's clost to the highway that we shouldn't miss?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#2 of 10 Old 08-25-2011, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pretty fresh on these forums, but if you wanted to hang out, I live pretty close to the highway. I'm in Caldwell, ID.

#3 of 10 Old 09-04-2011, 09:44 PM

Check out City of Rocks state park, which is in southern Idaho.  I haven't been yet, but have heard rave reviews and seen some pretty awesome pictures.  It's a good place for kids who climb on rocks.  :-)

Boise has a number of nice city parks with a Greenbelt connecting them, which is nice and cheap if everyone needs to stretch their legs.  I like to check out the Pendleton Wool Mill in Pendleton, Oregon, though they don't have great bargains too often.  HTH!

#4 of 10 Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_84_in_Oregon

Multnomah falls, Bonneville dam and historic Columbia highway laced with waterfalls are all great stops.
#5 of 10 Old 09-05-2011, 09:26 PM

The High Desert Museum in Bend is really cool, so is Newberry National Volcanic Monument (bend area).

Malheur National Wildlife Refuge is pretty cool for a learning experience on wetlands/wildlife, etc-it's about 30mi south of Burns. 

The 20 is pretty remote until you get to Bend, Eastern OR is really beautiful. 

Once you get to Lebanon there are so many daytrip opportunities that are great experiences for kids-the Willamette Valley is a really great area with tons of stuff to do! Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

I know you posted about homeschool info, my partner is checking with a friend & I'll get back to you once we get some info.

Mommy to DS (12/18/09) joy.gif  Partner to KC learning.gif

nocirc.gif   selectivevax.gif cd.gif   familybed1.gif  dp_femalesling.GIF   treehugger.gif   rainbow1284.gif   

#6 of 10 Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 AM

Yes, the lava cave is cool. And Bend is good for a day or two.
#7 of 10 Old 09-06-2011, 11:02 PM

Just going to second the High Desert Museum and the lava caves and such near Bend.  Both wonderful!

Not sure what route this is around in Idaho, but the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center there is fantastic.  Though it may be too far north.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#8 of 10 Old 10-10-2011, 09:58 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#9 of 10 Old 10-11-2011, 12:30 PM

There are several things that you could stop at in Boise, idaho.  I love the World center for birds of prey.   Here is a list of some others.

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#10 of 10 Old 10-12-2011, 07:54 PM

might not be on your way but the ape caves are cool: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/NatMonument/PointsInterest/ape_cave.html

hh2.gif  ~~~~~~~~~~hh2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page