Tell me about Corvallis! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-22-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We may be moving there but I'm somewhat unfamiliar with the area and I've love some insight or where to live.  I've driven through town plenty of times though.  Where are the areas to look for and which are the ones to avoid?  We'd like to live not too far from town but want to feel like it's a nice safe cozy neighborhood.  ...at the same time, a place that has a slight country feel, where we can have a garden and couple chickens sounds nice too.  

Do you like it there?  Tell about it.

thanks so much.

#2 of 10 Old 09-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I loved Corvallis.  If you want a more country-feel, Philomath might work and its a few miles west.  Or the outer edges of Corvallis could work.

Their farmer's market is amazing, and the place has so much to offer--trails, resources, and all the good stuff.  Close to the coast and the mountains.

#3 of 10 Old 09-25-2011, 02:34 PM

When is the farmer's market in Corvallis?

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#4 of 10 Old 09-26-2011, 03:36 PM

I've lived here for most of my life. I love raising my kids here. We live about 8 miles north of corvallis in Adair Village. It's about a 10 minute drive and yes we can have chickens! We are right next to state forests and a wild life refuge great place for quiet country-esque living. The farmers market is downtown on 1st street and its on wednesdays and saturdays. They have a winter market at the fairgrounds too for when the weather turns. 

Katie, Enjoying my time with my love Josh:, kiddos Kendel '01 and Xander '03 and our furry beast Sherman '08:
#5 of 10 Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 PM

I don't live in Corvallis, but worked there for years & am there al the time since it has the amenities that we need that our rural town doesn't have.

There's a pretty big Food Not Lawns movement in Corvallis, folks have taken out their lawns & are growing food instead of grass & there is a yearly backyard chicken coop tour. It's my understanding that if chickies are penned & there are no roosters it's an unlimited number that can be kept (double check tho!).

It's a college town, so every September a large population of kids converge on the town & there's the typical college town issues (drinking, parties, football games, traffic, etc). But it's not so out of control that it's a horrible place, I just make sure to time things around games so I'm not stuck in traffic or get stuck trying to go out for dinner when there's big events going on.

There's a really great Crunchy vibe, lots of good places to spend time with family & kids activities. Housing is higher than some of the other closer towns mentioned above, but there are a lot of areas that are walkable/bikeable which is super nice. Some pretty good places to eat & a Co-op that's amazing for organic/local foods.

If you are thinking of renting there is a company locally that you should look in to before you rent from them, pm me & I will give you more info.

Mommy to DS (12/18/09) joy.gif  Partner to KC learning.gif

nocirc.gif   selectivevax.gif cd.gif   familybed1.gif  dp_femalesling.GIF   treehugger.gif   rainbow1284.gif   

#6 of 10 Old 10-03-2011, 04:07 PM

For the love of god, don't buy or rent near the university.  Of the three college towns I've lived in, Corvallis was the worst as far as noise.  But if you stick with the NW part of town, or parts of South town, it's very much just like any other small city.  If you're renting, avoid properties with the notorious "red doors."  Really!!  PM me if you'd like more info.  Be prepared to either get out of town, or avoid driving on game days.  In the summer when all the students leave, it's a much nicer place.

I hated living there, although for much of it we needed to live near the university, which was just awful.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#7 of 10 Old 03-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Old thread I know but we love in the country-ish area of Corvallis. Lewisburg would be another option besides Adair Village. Feel free to PM me if you want. We LOVE it here. I love that I can park downtown and walk all over.

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#8 of 10 Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 PM

Super old thread but wanted to know if anyone has more info than what is here.

#9 of 10 Old 10-01-2013, 12:43 PM

Corvallis Babywearers is still going :).  I'm preggo and have hyperemesis so we've been a little funky on our normal meetings but we walk twice a week-you're welcome to join us.  LLL is still very active and meets tomorrow actually: https://www.facebook.com/groups/106376482784079/ http://lalecheleagueoregon.webs.com/localcorvallis (that one gives the address, the first is our group Facebook :) ) if you're looking for like minded mamas :).  The farmer's market is twice a week-Wednesday and Saturday: http://visitcorvallis.com/things-to-do-corvallis/ but more specifically see this one: http://visitcorvallis.com/things-to-do-corvallis/things-to-do-guide/name/farmers-market/ and http://locallygrown.org/home/corvallis-events/  Goes through almost the end of November.  The info above about living near campus and the red doors is totally true still :). If you want the slight country feel I'd go for the northern parts of town, Adair Village, or Philomath which are all super close to the heart of Corvallis but quieter and more of a family feel.

Ashley-wife of a grad student. Homeschooling, CDing, knitting mommy of Monkey 4/08 and Kangaroo 1/11 with 3 angels waiting in heaven
Hyena cart WAH mama!

#10 of 10 Old 10-11-2013, 10:39 AM

There is a great doula group in Corvallis:

http://www.midvalleydoulas.net

Plenty of parks, places to do yoga, healthy places to eat, Trader Joe's, Market of Choice, etc.

There are several midwives that serve the area:

http://www.gentlebeginningsmidwiferycare.com

http://www.birthwithliz.com

http://www.midvalleybirthingservices.com/home.php

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page