New to Olympia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
Bel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We just moved to SE Olympia from NE Iowa. We've been here 2 weeks, but I've yet to meet anyone except the other people on our street. They don't seem all that friendly or on my wavelength. I'm used to moving and at this point I'm just kind of done with putting in so much effort to meet new people and make friends. But yesterday I found out that my husband is going to deploy December 7th (we thought it would be April). This is such a kick in the teeth. We could have just stayed in Iowa and been near family and friends. We just spent 10 months apart because the army is so stupid and illogical and dishonest. Now we get 3 months and he's gone again for a year. So if I don't make friends I'm on my own. Oh, and he also is in a unit that gets no phone or internet access! Fantastic!

I could probably find a lot of groups on the army base to meet people, but while I'm sure I might find one or 2 people who are on the same page as me, I'm more likely to feel out of place and weird.

The other hurdle is, we only have one vehicle right now and he uses it for work. He leaves at 5am and gets home anywhere from 5pm to midnight. So I can't go many places unless it's on a bus route or walkable from my house.

I've been trying to find things to take the kids to, but the meetup groups all seem to be for younger kids (I have a 6, 4 and 1 year old) and/or too judgey in their description of themselves. While I fit into what they're saying, I'm not interested in only being friends with one type of person. I can't find anything on Facebook either.

So any suggestions? I live nearish College and Yelm hwy. I have 2 girls (6 and 4) and a boy (1 year). I like to knit. My eldest is Type 1 diabetic. I'm nursing my son. My eldest is in school, but I might homeschool the 4 year old. I love to cook and eat food! I just recently started getting into rehabbing furniture. So, those are the kinds of things that interest me. Please help me not fall into a solitary depression!

#2 of 7 Old 09-30-2011, 12:18 AM

pm-ing you now!

SAHM to Claire 3/13/09 and due with #2 on 1/16/11
#3 of 7 Old 10-01-2011, 04:17 PM

Hi,

Feel free to PM me and we can meet up at a park or for coffee/tea or something! I've only been here 1+ years and only have a small handful of friends for the same reasons you listed. In fact, I'm starting up a mothers' fitness boot camp to help others connect and get/stay healthy and active. This time last year, I got really down because of the weather, so getting active really helped my moods (with the benefit of getting in shape too)!

#4 of 7 Old 10-02-2011, 03:51 PM

wow - in two weeks we are going to live very close to you and I also have a 6 year old girl who is looking for friends.  I would love to meet-up for coffee, park, or something.  I'm homeschooling my oldest and she really wants to find some friends.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2011, 10:08 AM

Hi! I am in the Sound Parenting meetup group! We are a moderate AP group. Not all of us are super AP but we all subscribe to parts! Come check us out!

#6 of 7 Old 06-26-2012, 02:01 PM

Okay, so I know this is kind of an old thread, but I thought I'd mention a couple other resources in the area.  there are active MOMS club groups in Tumwater, Olympia and Lacey which are great for meeting people. Also, for homeschooling, there's a public school program called ORLA homeschool connect where you can take a couple classes and check out curriculum and meet other homeschooling families. I hope you found the support you need with your husband deployed!

#7 of 7 Old 05-16-2013, 06:34 PM

One year later... How's it going? Still in Olympia? We are considering a move to the area, so I am just lurking and such. Hope all is well. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page