Chicken Pox? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I've actually been a member on here for ages but sporadic internet access and two very busy children have meant that I am rarely on and often only as a lurker.

My kids are 3.5 an 5 and I'm now starting to actively think about exposing them to chickenpox. Our little tiny town (Willamina, OR) has a few of us who have chosen not to vax for it but none of us has managed to get our kids exposed so that we can get it spread around. Not sure how to actually approach the idea of finding a way to get them exposed. Do I just ask around? We're homeschooling so it's not imperative that they get it right now but I thought I'd start looking.

Thanks

Mom of two, Rosie Girl born 4/2006 and Tractor Boy born 2/2008. Wife to The Master of All Things Wood. Occasional doula and aspiring midwife. Selective vax,  positive discipline, and homeschooling. Committed to living a healthy, sustainable, and mindful life. treehugger.gifhang.gifhomeschool.gif

#2 of 11 Old 12-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Hi CraftyDoulaMom--

We're interested in pox party ourselves. Almost got an opportunity last summer, but we were prob a day too late (the pox pimples had dried up, and were apparently no longer contagious). Have three sons ages 2 to 9. Might be willing to travel to OR though we live in Seattle. I'll sign on to this thread to look for updates. One tip: have to act quick because the window of "passing it on" is only maybe three days long.

Thanks!

#3 of 11 Old 01-09-2012, 08:50 AM

Hi

We are also on the lookout for a "Pox party"- please let me know if you hear of one. We are south of Portland but willing to travel.

Thanks

#4 of 11 Old 01-31-2012, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

We're still looking. I know that we have at least three families here in town that are keeping their ears and eyes open for an opportunity. Darn chicken pox vaccinations. When I was a kid the whole neighborhood got them at the same time.

Mom of two, Rosie Girl born 4/2006 and Tractor Boy born 2/2008. Wife to The Master of All Things Wood. Occasional doula and aspiring midwife. Selective vax,  positive discipline, and homeschooling. Committed to living a healthy, sustainable, and mindful life. treehugger.gifhang.gifhomeschool.gif

#5 of 11 Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM

Hi, Bend OR. here and looking!:)

#6 of 11 Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quick update here-

We have a friend whose kids have chicken pox! We're seeing them tomorrow and hopefully will get enough exposure. Once I'm fairly sure we're contagious I'll post again. This friend doesn't want to do a pox party (her kids are very shy) but I'm willing to do a get-together of some sort or another. For those willing to travel a little bit we are in the western Willamette valley, about 35min NW of Salem off of OR-22, about 40min from Lincoln city on the coast, 30min from McMinnville, and 90 min from Portland. PM me if you would like me to contact you.

#7 of 11 Old 02-25-2012, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Ooh I hope someone can bring it north into the Seattle area! My big 2 have already had it and my littlest is too little, but my sil wants it for her youngest 2 who havent had it and I told her I'd watch for opportunities for her

dd (7) ds (5), ds (2) &3rdtri.gif hbac.gif and the furbabies cat.gifZeus, Dobby, Luna, & Ravenclaw
#8 of 11 Old 03-01-2012, 02:46 PM

Did you guys end up catching them?

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

#9 of 11 Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM

I would also like to know if anyone is willing to have a chicken pox party.  I am in Portland and will travel. 

Thanks

#10 of 11 Old 03-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Also looking in the Spokane, WA area! 

#11 of 11 Old 04-21-2012, 03:35 PM

I am in North Idaho and have 3-year-old and 5-year-old boys.  Would be interested in a pox party as well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page