Midwife, Doula, Crunchy People Recommendation for Auburn, WA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-28-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! We just moved here two months ago from a progressive community in the Chicago suburbs, and I'm feeling kind of lost in Auburn. (We came sight-unseen, and we're renting a home our realtor chose for us in Lakeland Hills). We try to live really simply (delayed vaxing, homeschool, no television, quiet religious life), and I don't know the first place to meet people who have the same values of simplicity that we do. Add to that, I just found out I'm pregnant with our fourth (!) and need a midwife and doula recommendation! I'm happy to socialize with lots of different kinds of people, but, being new, I'm getting kind of weary of having to defend our choices to homeschool, eating healthy, etc etc [fill in the blank].

Any suggestions?! Since we're renting, we have the freedom to move to a different area too, if that would help. DH's new job is in Federal Way, so as long as it's driving distance from there, I'd be up for it to be in a community somewhat like the one we left in Illinois.

#2 of 4 Old 10-13-2011, 05:24 PM

I'd be interested in speaking to you about being your doula.  Feel free to send me a private message if you would be interested in talking.

#3 of 4 Old 10-21-2011, 10:42 PM

Auburn can be kind of rough for simplistic parenting, I think, but I do have a couple of friends that live in Lakeland Hills who are AP and really sweet people.  I used to live in Sumner (just south of Auburn), but we moved to north Tacoma in April and LOVE it!  Our Tacoma AP meetup group is very active and has a lot of great mamas and kids.  There's a lot of choices for schools and SOO many things to do here.  My midwife was Ann Olsen, who is based in Enumclaw, but sees clients in Tacoma as well.  She is simply the best; we love her to pieces!  My doula is in Sumner, and she is amazing as well (Sara Farthing).  I hope this helped a little; PM me if you want to talk more...  Also, welcome to the area! ;-)

Sara, wife to Nathan, mommy to Mabel 6/25/07 and Malcolm 5/13/10

#4 of 4 Old 11-02-2011, 02:55 AM

Hi Clarissa,

We're in Auburn as well and homeschool (secular).  I also teach babywearing including educator certification courses :).  Patti Ramos is a great doula (and very well connected so could recommend great mw's too) in Tacoma.  You can find her at www.pattiramos.com.  There's not a whole lot of crunchy-ness around birth/babies right in Auburn.  My doula was actually Tina Dos Santos from Tender Touch Doula Services (she's in Bonney Lake but works all over the area) and she was great as well.

As for homeschooling, there are lots of Christian co-ops and groups.  You can find a listing and lots of other info at www.washhomeschool.org.  Hope that helps :)

Tanja ~ SAH/WAHM femalesling.GIFbabywearing teaching,familybed1.gifco-sleeping, homeschool.gif homeschooling, food sensitivity detective mama to two great little people who are not so little any more and owner of the Babywearing Institute Northwest ~ Spreading Babywearing Love & Learning

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page