Adult dentist in PDX (preferably eastside)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-09-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I need to find a dentist.  Really.  I hate going, and I've been putting it off (I know, bad bad bad).  But I'm thinking I might have a cavity, which will mean a filling, and I obviously want someone who isn't going to use amalgam.  Any ideas?  I'm a complete weenie when it comes to dentists.  I'd like to find someone friendly who won't be put off by my desire to avoid mercury in my fillings.  I have pretty darn excellent dental insurance, so I can more or less choose anyone.

Your suggestions would be most appreciated.  Mistress Google turns up quite a few results, and most of our real life friends are either uninsured, or could care less what their cavities are filled with.

Thanks ladies!!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#2 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM

My boss prior to DS is a holistic dentist and belonged to the IAOMT which is an association for DDS' that are mercury free.  Search in OR and there are 4 that come up in Portland. 

Good work on getting in.  I haven't been in since DS, ick.  I so understand. 

How did the elimination diet go?

'09   
#3 of 7 Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

So are you in Portland then?  Who do you see?  I was more looking for anyone who had any personal experience with dentists in the area.  I have a good amount of anxiety about dental work of any kind (even routine cleaning), so I was hoping maybe someone could suggest a dentist who was friendly AND wouldn't use an amalgam filling.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

#4 of 7 Old 12-15-2011, 10:24 AM

Sorry, no I am not in Portland.  I thought the IAOMT website would just lead you to a mercury free office.  I do not have any personal recommendations however, I know a family that moved from Portland whom enjoyed Dr. Chapman.  Looks like he is aware of dental anxiety.  Rescue remedy was offered at my employer for folks in your shoes, may help a bit rather than conscious sedation methods which are more extreme. 

'09   
#5 of 7 Old 01-05-2012, 10:55 PM

I don't know if you've found anyone yet, but I used to work for a dentist named John Holland, who has an office in the Hollywood district.... Really nice, best dentist I ever worked for. Very gentle and laid back and easygoing..  

#6 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 09:14 AM

Our family goes to Mint Dental with Dr. McMillan. We get excellent care! The entire practice is about as eco friendly as you can get. HTH!

#7 of 7 Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you SO much for the recs!!  Like I said, the few dental recommendations I've been able to get from friends up here all use amalgam fillings, which I'm just not comfortable with.  I very much appreciate a few leads!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page