MDC Family In Your Area Needs Help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Starting in 2003, the Mothering Community has run a "Holiday Helper" program for MDC's Families in Need.  You can find out about it here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1333925/holiday-helper-2011-faq

This year, as the Holidays approach, some families are still without any help.  One of those families lives in WA:

FIN #42

From this family's application letter:

Quote:
I was in a bad car accident when I was pregnant with my first child. I had over 20 surgeries to reconstruct my leg. My (ex) husband left because he could not handle all the stress of the surgeries and hospitalizations. He later fought for custody, so I racked up 28k in debt trying to fight to keep my daughter at least half of the time. I met my current partner a couple years after the separation and we have a child together. We made the choice to move to the town my ex husband lived in, so I could have more frequent time with my daughter. The problem is that my partner is a programmer, and we live in a very small town with no programming jobs. Thankfully he has some clients he can work remotely for, but it's not the same as a full time job (no benefits, and not even as much as minimum wage). We spend a lot of money on things like vitamins, doctor visits, special food for me because of all my allergies, and my attorney because the custody battle is not over. My health is still a mess and it's a daily struggle. We still work hard and do the best we can. We try very hard to live simply and frugally. We've sold a lot of our things. I get disability, and we get some food stamp and housing money. My diet is extremely limited so the food stamps don't even cover half of what I have to spend on food. We'd appreciate any help anyone can offer. Hopefully I will continue to recover so we don't have to live like this much longer. I can't wait for the day when we can be the ones helping other families. Thank you everyone who is helping out with this!

If you want to help this family, you can look at their list (linked above) and volunteer to send something.  Another way to help is by donating money towards a gift card.  Hylands has offerred to 100% match any funds that are donated for gift cards, so MDC's Families In Need will recieve twice the help with your donations:

http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1337586/hylands-offers-to-match-holiday-helper-donations-find-out-how-to-take-part#post_16781697

Thank you for your generosity towards MDC's Families In Need!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page