Bend/Sisters, OR 3 42.86%
Sandpoint, ID 1 14.29%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-26-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I are considering leaving our home in the New York City metro area for a quieter, simpler life with our two kids.  We are both originally from Portland, and want to head back West.  We want to live in a town with a Waldorf school and with easy access to nature.  So, please tell me where to move!  what do you like or dislike about the following towns we are interested in:

• Sandpoint, ID
  • Bend or Sisters, OR
  • Ashland, OR
  • Bellingham, WA
#2 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 06:34 PM

I don't actually know about any of the other cities you mention, but I love Bellingham. I live on an island off the WA coast, near Bellingham, and I go there often as a day trip.

It's right near Mt. Baker in the Cascade mountain range, and all of the hiking, skiing, backpacking, snow-shoeing, etc. that that would bring. It's also close enough to Seattle for an even larger urban fix, or the San Juan Islands for more nature. Bellingham has great restaurants, stores, and music venues, and a lot of young families. The public transportation is quite good, if that's an issue. The city itself is fun, and it's so close to a lot of great outdoorsy trips, too.

#3 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 09:55 PM

Ashland is lovely, beyond lovely. Very crunchy. Really a slice of heaven.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 08:40 AM

We moved to Bend 10/10 and love it. It's a nice balance of warm/cold weather and a mix of mountain/desert.  We get rain but not nearly as much as the valley.  The city is very active and friendly.  A fair amount of cultural events, lots of kids activities, groups, concerts.  There is not a day of the year you won't see people outside running, biking, hiking, skiing, etc.  We love it and don't know why we would ever leave.  There are a couple of Waldorf schools in town.  If you have any questions, let me know!

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#5 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I said Bellingham because that's where I'm from.  I love it there.  The housing is getting cheaper and it's so pretty!!!!!!  They have so much going on all the time.  I still check the paper to see all the pictures of the week and get all sad at all I'm missing.  Living in SA has it's benefits so I'm staying here but if I could do it I would move back.

#6 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM

I have to agree with the OR and WA options.  I have lived in Bellingham for many years absolutely love it.  I disagree it is getting less expensive to live there.  That is why I am not there now.  The influx in population has been amazing since I left 4 years ago.  It was voted the best place to retire a few years ago, as well as being environmentally thoughtful... the masses have moved there. 

I lived on the outskirts of Eugene and really enjoyed OR.  Been a WA native my whole life and there was a certain vibe about OR that I really enjoyed.  Seemed even more crunchy than WA. 

'09   
#7 of 7 Old 12-29-2011, 06:09 PM

I love Bend,OR.  Great city!  I actually live in Portland, but we head over to Bend whenever we get a chance.  My sister is as crunchy as they get & she is moving there soon.

Christa ~ Mom to Hannah (5), Keira (3) & Lexi (17 months)

HBA2C mama

Student doula

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page