Considering giving birth at Swedish Edmonds (Stevens Hospital) and I would like to hear other people's experiences - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-13-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am a first time mom that is pretty in tune with her body.  I believe that I am fully capable of doing a natural birth with out interventions.  I feel that while I can do this I need to be able to get in to my zone and part of that is not being badgered by nurses and/or Drs that think that they know what is best.  I have been seeing my general Dr (who fills my OB/Gyn needs) for this pregnancy and she has privileges at Stevens and she sees eye to eye with me on the intervention issue.  My concern is that from what I understand of hospital births that the Dr is really only there for the last part of the birth and to catch.  And the nurses are really the people that I will be dealing with.

So what I am looking for is other people's experience that this facility so that I can make an informed decision on if this is the right facility for me to birth at.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 PM

From what you describe, a free-standing birth center might be a better fit for you than a hospital.  I delivered my second at Puget Sound Birth Center in Totem Lake (north Kirkland) and used their midwives for my homebirth with my third - both amazing experiences.  I drove an hour round trip for each of my prenatal appointments and delivery (with my second - the midwives drove to me for the third!  :)  TOTALLY worth the drive for the respectful and professional care I received!  Cannot say enough about them - I'd make an appointment to see their facility and meet their midwives to see what you think!  :)  Ask for Valerie and tell her I say hi! 

#3 of 8 Old 07-01-2012, 10:55 PM

I love PSBC and Val as well :)  I had a homebirth with Ali, who is on Val's "team".

Buuuut to answer the OPs specific question-- I had a friend who had a horrible experience there.  A nurse actually shoved her hand inside my friend without permission or even any warning because her baby was coming out and the dr wasn't there yet.  Her baby ended up having some respiration issues that was likely related to the nurse's inane action.  I've heard some other dismal stories from there, though I do have another friend who had a fine experience there more recently (though her husband actually works at that hospital and she was VERY happy to have her baby there).

You have to go with your gut, though. But I wouldn't personally pick that hospital!

Weirdo Mama to amazing Aurelia, age 9 & Ember Roslyn, age 3!
#4 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 01:27 AM

I just wanted to say Hi to other people who also had Val and Ali as their MWs.

I don't know anything about the hospital you are asking about.  I've only attended my sister's hospital births at Providence in Everett and Group Health in Kirkland?  something like that.

But, yes, the Dr. only shows up at the end AND the hospitals have policies and protocols put in place that you may have to struggle against.

Can you take a tour of the hospital and as some general questions about their policies and their c-sec. rates?

#5 of 8 Old 07-23-2012, 09:22 PM
kkd

I only have one recent experience, and it was so upsetting.  Have to take it with a grain of salt that it was only one event, but here is my two cents!  My neice had a baby via c-section at Swedish Edmonds, a 10lb+ boy about a week ago.  She has been eager to breastfeed, and the baby initially latched really well.  But, she contacted me the day after taking him home- had a ton of trouble trying to get him to latch and he would cry every time she would try to nurse him.  After hours of trying she couldn't take it and went and bought formula.  It turns out that the nurses at the hospital had given him formula in a bottle.  I was APPALLED  to put it mildly.  She was not equipped to deal with nipple confusion and had no idea what to do - and that is extremely tough emotionally to deal with.  She said she told the nurse she didn't want the baby to have a bottle but she did it anyway.  Wow.  I think there is a report somewhere online that rates hospitals in the area- their c-section rates, how much they support they provide for breastfeeding, etc.  I don't recall if Swedish Edmonds is included in that report, but I know the birthing centers and other large hospitals are included, so you might search to see if you can locate that info.

#6 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM

This might be a little late... but thought I'd chime in anyway. 

My first birth was at Steven's Hospital and was a horrible experience. I can DM you details if you want. 

FWIW, I have yet to hear of a single good experience at that hospital from friends or from people those friends know. Not only for birth, but for other things as well.

- Jen, Mama to DS1 (02.04.05) and DS2 (02.11.10) & baby #3 due in early January 2013

#7 of 8 Old 09-27-2012, 09:27 AM

Hi Miriah,

I just saw your post here and was curious if you ended up going to Swedish in Edmonds.  I'm due in a few months and have the same concerns as you did.  My doctor's practice is associated with this hospital, but i'm having second doubts about going there.  Thanks in advance!

#8 of 8 Old 09-28-2012, 12:26 AM

Hi I'm not a big fan of Swedish/Edmonds hospital, never heard a good birth story from them yet.  If you would like a natural birth I'd consider a midwife.  There are a lot in this area.  I delivered with Charlotte LacSeul/Geddis for my last baby and she was amazing.  When you have a midwife she knows you and visa/versa, when you deliver in a hospital you are meeting everyone for the first time while you are in labor!  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page