PDX/NW OR area mamas -- any meat share suggestions? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-14-2012, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our family recently acquired a chest freezer, and we would like to purchase some meat now that we actually have room to store it.  We are looking to purchase a quarter cow, and also a half pig.  There are an abundance of options in Portland, and we unfortunately don't know anyone in the area who purchases their meat this way.  Does anyone have any suggestions of farms that they've gone through?  Anyone to avoid (PM me if need be)?  We've purchased chickens from Kookoolan many times, and while I'm sure their beef is as amazing as their chicken, their hanging weight price is a little steeper than I'd like, and their next available cow isn't until August.  I've also purchased individual quantities from various folks at the farmer's market, and I'll be heading that way Saturday to see what I can gather.  But I would love to hear from someone, "yes, our share was a great value, these folks are great to buy from!"

I'd just love to know where the PDX meat-eating mamas are getting their meat!  And NW Oregon mamas too!  We can drive if necessary, although I think we'd rather go with someone who can do Portland delivery.  But again, if you've got a farm that you've gotten a really excellent share through, let me know.

Thanks mamas!

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#2 of 3 Old 04-18-2012, 04:01 PM

Sorry I'm not much help, but I'd love to know as well! We're considering getting our milk from Kookoolan again despite the drive because of their sanitary and ethical practices. Ideally I'd love to be able to afford meat through them because I do believe they are by far the best, but at this point they're out of our budget. I'd love to know of less expensive but still healthy ethical shares available. 

Momma2DoubleCuties likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 04-21-2012, 09:11 AM

We get our beef from here : http://www.wistfulmistfarm.com/Index.html which is wonderful!  Been getting it for about 4 years now and always been pleased.  She may be out though I know they don't tend to purchase calves without having them sold.

We don't eat pork so I have no leads there.

Aimee Blessed Momma to 4 amazing boys, P ~ 9 H ~ 7 J ~ 4 and B ~ 1.  Happily married to D Living my almost dream life on an urban homestead, hoping for our forever land to find us soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page