Looking for a Prediatrician in Portland who takes OHP and is ok with delayed/no vaccinations - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am hoping to find a Pediatrician or family doctor who is okay with delayed vaccinations or not vaccinating.

I live in Portland so anyone in the surrounding area would work for us. Hoping someone had a recommendation.

I am hesitant to just take my kids to anyone who takes OHP we have the Care Oregon plan. I would like someone I can trust and who wont pressure me to follow the mainstream.

Thanks so much!

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-01-2012, 11:50 PM

If you have Care Oregon, you may possibly be able to see Dr. Ed Hoffman Smith (at the Natural Childbirth & Family Clinic) in NE Portland.

You might also try Dr. Egelseer at Oregon Pediatrics.  Their practice is very large, and I'm pretty sure when we were there last, I overheard an OHP mama at the window.  Just see ONLY Dr. Egelseer there.  She has never made any mention of my two non-vaxed kids, although our family doesn't do well-child exams, so we've only seen her for actual medical stuff (food allergies, skin rash, ear infections, etc).  But she is very friendly, very supportive of extended breastfeeding, and our non-vax status has never been an issue with her.  Other physicians in the same practice are not so nice, just to forewarn you, so be sure that you are seeing her, and not just making a general appointment.

Many of the really great pediatricians in Portland aren't accepting new patients right now, OHP or no, which is a real bummer.

Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

#3 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for getting back to me Italiamom. Unfortunately Ed Hoffman Smith only takes the OHP open card, not care Oregon. I tried to see him for a prenatal test when I was pregnant but found out he didn't take Care Oregon, I really wish I could go to him he is highly recommended by the Birth Center my daughter was born at.

Thanks for the other recommendation I will check it out. I appreciate advice from other parents rather than just going in to see whoever takes my insurance. We had a great doctor in the past but we had to change our insurance and now have to start all over. I don't do well visits either but would like my newborn to get a checked out.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Blessings!

treehugger.gifMamaknit.gifsewmachine.gifmodifiedartist.gif to one cool girlREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif4/3/01 and a sweet boysuperhero.gif1/1/08...and joy.gifsweet Goobie Rue born 3/6/12

**formerly known as Mamablueberry**

#4 of 6 Old 04-02-2012, 09:31 PM

I think our pediatrician takes OHP I'm not sure about Care Oregon or not but his name is Dr. Paul Thomas and he's been pretty cool about us not vaxxing-they also have a wonderful office with a separate rooms for sick and well and always recommend the best supplements and sell them in the office at cost (we love it).  It's out in Beaverton if you're willing to drive that far.  Also, the primary care place my husband and I go to sees children and I think they are cool with delayed/no vax, it's called Integrative Primary Care Associates, they might take OHP, that clinic is in NW.  We thought about taking our daughter there but we just like her pediatrician so much and it's so much closer that we figure we won't bother switching unless our pediatrician manages we disagree with.  If neither of those work, I would just get a list of in network providers and contact and ask if they see patients who choose not to vax and if not if they can recommend anyone who will-that's how I found our pediatrician.  Also family practice doctors tend to be more lenient about this than pediatricians so that might be something to look into as well.

Stay-at-home Mama to my fabulous DD (10/08)  and DS (9/12) and wife to my just-as-fabulous DH

#5 of 6 Old 07-01-2012, 11:00 PM

We have Care Oregon... and we see Dr. Susan Allen (ND) at Triangolo Family Clinic at 2601 NE Glisan. If you contact them directly they might not be taking new patients, so PM me for a personal rec, if you think you'll use her. Google her website and check her out. I adore her.

Moo.

#6 of 6 Old 07-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Ditto Dr. Thomas.  His staff pretty much assumes you are going with an alternate schedule for vaxx, and while you can get whatever you want or not, they're really smart about it all and not pushy.  Also, his office has an urgent care clinic evenings and weekends, so you can get care outside of regular office hours without going to the emergency room first.  They'll refer out if you need it but I like the extra is-this-actually-a-big-deal-? check in.  

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page