Tell me about Corvallis, Pullman, and Moscow ... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in Northern California but will be moving next year for my husband to start grad school. We are thinking of applying to schools in Corvallis, OR, Pullman, WA, and Moscow, ID. I'm wondering if anyone can help me with the questions I have about living in those areas ...

We will have medicaid (or whatever your state's version of that is) for healthcare. Is it possible that any of these states would cover a homebirth?

Are there any good charter schools in those areas? Maybe Montessori or Waldorf? Or a good homeschool community?

In California we have the option of signing a philosophical exemption for vaccines. Is it like that in OR/WA/ID?

How about cost of living? Could we find a 2 or 3 bedroom place to rent (with a yard or property) for around $800 or less?

Anything else anyone can tell me I would love to hear! It's really hard to choose both a school and a place to raise our family from so far away!

Thankful to be a play-at-home-Mommee to my "cage-free" little monkeys, Sam, (1/21/07) and Jonas (8/17/09), a Wifee to my best friend, James, and excited to welcome our first girl-baby this summer. ***Families Are Forever!***

#2 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 04:18 PM

The Oregon Health Plan does cover homebirth, with the caveat that you need to wait and apply for it in your third trimester for a CPM to be able to bill them. I'm an apprentice at a birth center in Lebanon, which is 20 min from Corvallis, so we deal with Medicaid/OHP a lot.

There is a good homeschooling community, with yahoogroups you can join to find out about activities.

Quote:

How about cost of living? Could we find a 2 or 3 bedroom place to rent (with a yard or property) for around $800 or less?

Probably not with a yard. We are paying $850/month for a 3 bedroom townhouse in Lebanon and I think the rents here are lower than in Corvallis.

We do a religious exemption for vaccines for my six year old, who gets speech therapy through the school. With the kids who are homeschooled, they don't ask us about it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 11 Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the reply - that helps. Can you tell me how to go about the religious exemption? I don't actually belong to a religion that doesn't believe in vaccines, it's just a personal belief. How can I make that work?

Thankful to be a play-at-home-Mommee to my "cage-free" little monkeys, Sam, (1/21/07) and Jonas (8/17/09), a Wifee to my best friend, James, and excited to welcome our first girl-baby this summer. ***Families Are Forever!***

#4 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Corvallis is a great place to raise kids and has a big homeschooling community and both Waldorf and Montessori.  Cost of living is kind of high here (the real estate slump did not hit as hard here too) and it might be hard to find a house for that price near campus.  We had to pay more for a 3-br place with a yard and that was 10 years ago.  I think it will be more like $1K at least.  

#5 of 11 Old 04-13-2012, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Squimp! I'm assuming those Waldorf and Montessori schools you mentioned are private, right? Or are they the (free) charter schools? Are there any areas/towns sort of just out of Corvallis we should be looking into that you think we might have more luck with cheaper rent and have a little room around us? My husband commutes a half an hour right now so he would be willing to do that, but definitely not more. We can also definitely make it in a 2 bedroom (that's what we have now.) Glad to know you like Corvallis! Thanks for your help!

#6 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 04:54 PM

They are private.  We don't have charter schools but there is a public core curriculum school (Franklin) that goes K-8 and people really like it.  I would look at south Corvallis maybe or the northeast part of town for slightly less expensive rents.  Northwest is the most expensive IME.  Some people move to Albany for  less expensive housing, but then you would need to look into the Albany schools.  

#7 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

Corvallis is awesome, we just moved back to WA after being in Lebanon for almost 7 years & we miss the area terribly.

I agree with the pp about COLA in Corvallis being higher, I'd expect to pay more than $1,000 for a 3br, more along the lines of $1200-$1500/mo depending on location & amenities. Just next door to Corvallis is Philomath, rents there are cheaper & the commute is just a few minutes depending on traffic. Lebanon is much cheaper than Corvallis but is about 25 miles away depending on the area of Lebanon (we were outside of town and my commute to Corvallis was about 50min because of country roads). 

Nearby towns that have charter schools include Philomath (King's Valley Charter School) and Lebanon (Sand Ridge Charter School). The Corvallis Waldorf school is stellar, we have several friends with kiddos there & they are on a wonderful learning journey!

An overall plug for the area: you're close to the mountains, the coast, and a big city (Portland) and groovy Eugene is just down I-5. It's beautiful country and people tend to be pretty progressive or have a "Live and Let Live" attitude. 

Sorry I can't give input into the vacc issue for OR as my guy is too little for school & we haven't had to cross that bridge yet. I could ask my SIL about WA exemption, she's an educator in WA state & would know what the routine is. smile.gif

Mommy to DS (12/18/09) joy.gif  Partner to KC learning.gif

nocirc.gif   selectivevax.gif cd.gif   familybed1.gif  dp_femalesling.GIF   treehugger.gif   rainbow1284.gif   

#8 of 11 Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 PM

All we had to do for the vaccine exemption was initital something. They didn't ask any questions.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 11 Old 04-24-2012, 09:43 AM

Hi, I live in Pullman :)

We will have medicaid (or whatever your state's version of that is) for healthcare. Is it possible that any of these states would cover a homebirth?  The midwives here can have a midwife from Spokane come down who can accept Medicaid.  This is what we are doing- it sounds like it covers about $1500 of the cost.  So we're going to be left with about $1000 out of pocket.  Here is the midwife from spokane who can take medicaid - http://www.bloomspokane.com/provider-directory/profiles/cathy-weston/ 

Are there any good charter schools in those areas? Maybe Montessori or Waldorf? Or a good homeschool community? There is a Montessori school here in Pullman, I don't know how old it goes to. No Waldorf here, but there are many homeschoolers. On facebook there is a homeschool group for the area  you can join, also a co-op. 

In California we have the option of signing a philosophical exemption for vaccines. Is it like that in OR/WA/ID? For Washington and Idaho yes, Oregon no.  http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/school-immunization-exemption-state-laws.aspx

How about cost of living? Could we find a 2 or 3 bedroom place to rent (with a yard or property) for around $800 or less? Yes you should be able to. But since this is a college area, if you try to rent at the beginning of the semester you might have a hard time.  It would be better to come a little early or even at the end of the semester when everyone in town is moving out.  We're in a 3 bed, 2 bath and our rent just went up to $860.  If you find a house in one of the towns outside Pullman/Moscow, things get crazy cheap. http://pullman.craigslist.org/search/apa?query=&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=800&bedrooms=2  Looks like there are many options right now for under 800.  If you come during the summer you'd probably get a good deal because so many people don't live here in the summer.

Personally I think Moscow is more hippy/natural living friendly. Both towns are very accepting - no one cares about breastfeeding in public or really any natural living choices people make, and I have found quite a lot of people who live that way here. There are several MDC people who live in the area.  I probably just want to live in Moscow to be close to the awesome food co-op they have. If you visit to check the area out, be sure to check it out!

Let me know if you have any other questions, I have been compiling resources for natural living in the area for a couple years now because I want to make a natural living/parenting website directory for the Palouse area :)

edited to add: I don't know if you know or not- but Moscow is only 6 miles from Pullman, so you can easily live in either town and go to the other town's university.

#10 of 11 Old 04-28-2012, 09:35 AM

IDAHO LICENSED MIDWIVES CAN NOW TAKE MEDICAID!!!

Last year, we went through the legislative process to enable midwives in Idaho to accept Medicaid.  The legislation passed and the Rules and Regulations are in place.  Midwives can apply for their Medicaid Provider number via paper now and online in the very near future.

If you are still considering Pullman, look up Noel Leidhart -- she's a great midwife!

For a list of Idaho Midwives, you can go to www.idahomidwives.org

Carrie B  www.northidahohomebirth.com

#11 of 11 Old 05-07-2012, 05:40 PM

We just moved to Corvallis (from Chicago) and live in the south part of town in a newer housing area.  We are renting a 3br, 2.5 bath for $1250.  My kids are going to Muddy Creek charter school, so it's free and in a rural area southwest of us.  I had to check off a box on their school forms about vax exemption, no questions asked.  I've only been here a week and can't give you much more info than that we really like it here and took a trip to the beaches on Newport yesterday.  Amazing!  We'dlike to eventually move out of town abit, maybe towards Philomath.  There are a ton of houses, farms and properties and it is beautiful!

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page