seeking secular homeschooling / unschooling-friendly support in Redmond / Seattle - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My friend in Redmond just asked me about homeschooling - she is totally new
to the idea, but her son is asking her if he can do it. 

She would not be doing it for religious reasons. I looked at the
website of Washington Homeschool Organization convention coming up in
June and it looked like most of the sessions were religious and even the
science session said it was "creation-friendly" (as well as
"Darwin-friendly" apparently).

I was afraid that might scare her off and I was looking for another group that might help her in her exploration and decision-making about whether to take her son out of
school, as he is asking to be hs'ed and according to my observation
would probably be an apt candidate for unschooling.

However since he has been to school till now, I think a local support group would be helpful to them in making the transition, and possibly for the long term.

I would be grateful for any info that I could pass along to my friend.

thanks!

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!
#2 of 6 Old 05-13-2012, 06:56 AM

Definitely share with her this website: http://www.secularhomeschool.com

It is full of support for homeschoolers who aren't necessarily homeschooling for religious reasons. There is also a group for Washington homeschoolers on the site and a list of local secular/inclusive support groups by state and region.  I hope it will be a help to her!!

#3 of 6 Old 05-14-2012, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

The WHO convention is next month, and it's great to go to to just get your hands on curriculum.  Yes, there is a lot of religious stuff, but there is also plenty of non-religious stuff. 

She might want to look into TPA  http://washtpa.org/ .

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#4 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 09:05 AM

Hello~

We live in Woodinville area and Home school our daughters Brynn 9 and Maya 6, we have been HS'ing since the beginning but have recently moved to WA, so I am still researching non-religious programs as well in the area. These are things we have found:

Wonderexcursions yahoo group  Great resource fro all the fun and free things to do and includes many on the eastside of town. Brandie the moderator also HS's for non religious reasons, and is a wonderful resource!

Labrynth co-op in Sammamish it is non religious co-op I visited, it is housed in a church, it is a big group and has Lots of classes for resonable prices. worth checking into.

Sky Valley Homeschool in Monroe- I don't know alot about this, and hope to visit next week. It is ran by the public school system, but teachers are some parents and some public school teachers, but they are used to working with Homeschoolers.  And it is free.

Who I think lists most of these.

Oh and Wilderness Awareness School in Duvall has a wonderful Homeschooling one day a week and once a month programs. My older daughter went to that this winter/spring and loved it.

Your friend is more than welcome to reach out to me. lkoz2@yahoo.com I would be happy to connect via e-mail or in person, as we are just starting to meet people ourselves. :)

Laura

#5 of 6 Old 05-28-2012, 11:40 AM

Has she considered visiting the Family Learning Center?  It is a homeschool support network (that provides classes and "help").  We haven't been there for years (DD went to school starting in 2nd grade and is now in 8th) but have a few friends who enjoy them:

http://www.lwsd.org/school/flc/Pages/default.aspx

Especially for someone transitioning from public school to homeschooling it could be helpful stepping stone.

#6 of 6 Old 07-18-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies everyone .... I have been "gently forwarding" - she has been going through the mails - I am trying not to overwhelm her with too much info.  There was the Unschooling Summit last month too which was like an embarassment of riches at the time.  I am so thrilled for her, I just found out that she started her own homeschooling style - i just love the schedule!  1 hour for subject-work and then 1.5 hours for snack!!  And outings, etc.  She even has a website - http://cpillars.wix.com/cpillars

I am giggling with delight.

relaxed-unschooler mama to dd (2003). hoping for second one. love being a mama!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page