Any Portland or NE of Portland mamas - please advise! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-21-2012, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
kel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 12-yr-old daughter has developed an eating disorder and we are seriously considering spending the summer in Portland so that she can go to the Kartini Clinic there (we live in Montana).  It's a 2 month long (at least) day treatment program and so she'd be "home" with me and her siblings evenings and weekends.  The clinic is in Eliot, right by Portland Children's Hospital.  

What I would like advice on is either any nice neighborhoods on the NE side of Portland, or even any neighborhoods that are just easy access to Eliot.  We have a car and actually she can't be doing a lot of walking anyway.  Or even any nice towns, suburbs, further out neighborhoods that would be a simple drive twice a day.  I don't mind driving 20 -30 min if it's not just because of bad traffic.  We need something reasonably affordable and I'm really hoping to find something pretty nice, that will be a relaxing place to spend the time that she isn't in the clinic - because it's going to be stressful for us both. 

Any suggestions at all would be very much appreciated.

(ps - we used to live in Olympia and have spent quite a bit of time in Portland and the area)

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#2 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I just wanted to respond to your post. I don't know much about that neighborhood, but have asked several friends if they do, and what they suggest. smile.gif I'm hoping they will chime in here, or give me some feedback. smile.gif

You might try checking Craigslist and seeing what you can find in NE too.

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

#3 of 7 Old 06-22-2012, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
kel

Thanks!  I have been looking on craigslist - I just thought if anyone knew any other neighborhoods that would be an easy drive to that area...  But mapquest seems to work pretty well for that, so I'll just keep looking.  xo

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#4 of 7 Old 07-01-2012, 09:33 PM

Downtown Gresham/Troutdale is affordable and can be nice depending on where you are in that area... and it's a pretty easy commute, but might be a bit more than 30 minutes in traffic. Eliot itself is lovely, but Alberta, Mississippi, and St. Johns are all closer to Eliot (10-15 mins) and have become more gentrified over the last few years... Hollywood is close as well, and a nice combo of affordable and a nice neighborhood... Laurelhurst is a bit spendy, but the southeast areas of Hawthorne and Belmont are close as well, and fairly affordable. The general rule of thumb on the east side for niceness is to locate Max lines, methadone clinics, high rise buildings, and strip malls, and steer clear. And anywhere between 82nd and 201st is what's loosely referred to as felony flats (aka the ghetto). I hope that helps! PM me if you need more info. I've only lived here for five years, but I've lived in 8 places (*hangs head in shame*) and visited all the other neighborhoods a lot. Personally, I prefer the west side for niceness factor, but you don't get a lot of bang for your buck over here...

Moo.

#5 of 7 Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

Also try Airbnb for places to rent.  We've had a great experience renting out one of our rooms on the site and have stayed in other apartments and rooms all the over the country.  Some people will make you a deal, so don't be afraid to ask.  Good luck!  Alberta, Mississippi areas are fun and nice.  

#6 of 7 Old 07-15-2012, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
kel

thanks!

#7 of 7 Old 07-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Ummm... so are you bringing your handmade dress shop business with you??! :D (I noticed your siggie).

Moo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page