moving to Mt Vernon/Burlington! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-17-2012, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone!

We are moving next month from central Washington to the Mount Vernon/Burlington area. My kids are 5 and 2.5, and we're having another in early September. I'd love to meet some like-minded moms and get some advice on activities, playgroups, preschools, etc. etc. As soon as we move, I'm hoping to get to LLL and other activities, and start meeting people. Really looking forward to it! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-18-2012, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I do not live in the area anymore, however, had my baby on the Tulip Route and found a great community there. 

Skagit has a fantasitc LLL group and the Mount Vernon Co-op is by far the best one I have ever seen and I really miss my old corner store. 

Skagit LLL could be a great starting point for you.  Just received this email about what happening.

Greetings, All!

We have LOTS happening in Skagit County in the next month or so, and we want to let you know all about it, and invite you to come if you can!

July 16th -- that's tomorrow! -- is our second showing of the movie "Baby Baby Oh Baby", and Breastfeeding 101 question and answer time, geared for new families, especially.  It's going to be in room 309 of the Co-Op building in downtown Mount Vernon, starting at 6:00 p.m.  If you know of any pregant or new families who would benefit from some warm, inviting breastfeeding info, please send them to this happening.  And come yourself, if you can, to contribute your own experience, wisdom and encouragement to the discussion. :)

July 18th -- this is the date for the next regular a.m. meeting!  10:00 a.m. at the Co-Op, again in room 309.  We hope to see you there!

July 21st -- The Childrens' Art Festival at Hillcrest Park in Mount Vernon, 10:00 a.m to 4:00 p.m.  This is the first year that La Leche League will be there manning (or woman-ning) a table.  Come out with your kids for a LOT of fun, and be sure to drop by the LLL table to say hi!

July 28th -- Everett World Breastfeeding Week Kickoff.  The La Leche League groups in the greater Everett area are putting on a breastfeeding fest of their own!  If you find you're going to be in the area of Garfield Park (2300 Walnut Street, Everett) between 11 and 2, drop on by!

August 4th -- The Big Latch-On!  LLL of Skagit's own World Breastfeeding Week activity will be participation in this world-wide event which aims to get as many nursing babies at the breast at once as possible, and to count them all!  We're hosting the Skagit arm of this fun endeavor at Maiben Park in Burlington, in and around the picnic shelter.  We'll be there from 10:00 to 11:00 a.m. getting set up, signing people in, and raffling off some fun items.  The big moment is at 10:30 -- that's when we'll count down to latching babies on, and going around to count the numbers.  We'll send our numbers in to be combined with other numbers from around the country and the world, for a final count!  This is a great reason to come out to a community park with your family, and spend some time getting to know the other families who attend.  Stay afterwards, play in the newly refurbished water-feature and spend the day at a great local park!

Garage sale -- We DO plan on doing our annual yard-sale this year!!  We got rained out for the weekend we'd planned in June, so keep an eye on your email -- we'll let you know probably the morning of, or the night before, when it actually happens...

August 18th -- The Second Annual Skagit Family Jubilee!!  We are VERY excited to be putting on this big event again, aiming to get the word out to the community about the importance of breastfeeding, raising some great money for continuing our work, and having a great time with all who attend!  We'll be putting it all on again at Memorial Park and the Community Center in Sedro-Woolley, from 2:00 to 5:00 p.m.  We've got LOTS of fun stuff in the works: a bouncy house, kids' activities, possibly live music, some great food and treats to purchase, 50/50 raffle and of course our fantastic silent auction!  We're going to be setting some of our donated items aside for a ticket-drop raffle, as well.  We've got a great list of the items that we've currently got for the auction and raffle on our Facebook page -- look for "La Leche League of Skagit County", like us, and check out the list in the "notes" section.  We have many, many wonderful donations that should appeal to all!  If you'd like to help out in any way, please let us know!  Otherwise, we hope you will come and bring lots of friends and family to what we hope will be another fun community-outreach event, supporting getting the word of breastfeeding, good health and family out to lots of people!

Please do share this calendar info with any an all who you think might be interested!  These events are open to anyone who is interested, and are all a wonderful way to introduce folks to the resources they have available to them in Skagit County. :)

Stay tuned for any updates!!

-Anna, Shasta, Tiara, Misty, and La Leche League of Skagit County

Skagit Natural Family Medicine/Birth Center is also a great wealth of info as well. 

Hope this helps!  Good luck on your move.

'09   
#3 of 3 Old 07-23-2012, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so very much for all the great info! I'm really starting to get excited and can't wait to meet some people over there. Glad you enjoyed living there, and I hope you love where you are now!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page