crunchy family dreaming of montessori school and living in a cabin, Seattle maybe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

DH and I have big dreams of affording Montessori school for our two kids, and of living in a crunchy area where we can eventually build or buy a cabin to live in.  It looks like Seattle has a lot of IT jobs in the salary range DH is looking for, so we're starting to apply for some of them.

I saw there are 3 branches of  Montessori school in Seattle, so that leaves me feeling optimistic!  But if we rented a few years and saved to buy a cabin, is that part of our dream possible?

Are there areas around Seattle where we could buy or build a cabin?  I don't know that we could afford a half-million dollar home like I see all over Zillow.  I just want a modest cabin on maybe 1 acre of land...

Thanks in advance!

belly.gifSAHM to hearts.gifDD (5) and jog.gifDS (3).  Happily married to my high school sweetheart hug.gif
#2 of 6 Old 10-03-2012, 09:46 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How close to town do you want to be? Or are you looking at something more rural?

Seattle has gotten pretty big, I was born and raised there and I now live in a small town about 100 miles north. I think a lot of people who haven't been there think of Seattle as being much smaller than it really is. It's a long and narrow metropolitan area from North Seattle to South Seattle and has over half a million people. You are not likely to find a "cabin" in the city limits. But there are dozens of small bedroom communities that might work for you. Issaquah is one, especially around Pine Lake. What do you consider "modest"? Depending on where you want to live will be what determines the cost of a small cabin on an acre of land. You won't find that within the city limits... land is at a premium. IF you can find anything in the city that is more than 1/2 acre plan on paying between $300,000 and $500,000.

What you are looking for is often called a mini-farm and those are mostly in outlying areas like Bainbridge Island and Vashion Island, which means you will have to commute by ferry. If you go outside of King County, you could try Auburn, Puyallup, Enumclaw, Maple Valley, and up north of Everett. Count on about an hour commute each way if you have to work in Seattle.

A lot of depends on where you will be working. I hope you will not consider a move until you have visited the city and area at least once and already have a job waiting for you there. The job market and housing market at the moment is not very good.

If you are not already a member of City Data, I suggest some research on the Seattle page of that site, it's set up for people moving to a new town, and you can get opinions from both locals and people who have already done what you would like to do.

If you live anywhere outside the downtown core of town, you will need a car, although there is a big push for public transportation because traffic is awful!!!

You also don't say where you live now, but Seattle's weather is another thing to consider. While we don't get nearly as much rain as legends say, there is considerable amount of gray cloudy days, and if you aren't use to that, it can get rather depressing. Which is one of the reasons why coffee is big here.

Oh, just should also add that the cost for a Washington state drivers license just went up and it now costs about $80 to get your first one. I don't know about any place else, but people here were pretty upset about that. Driver's license renewals went from $25 to $45.

I'm not trying to discourage you from moving here, I love this area which is why I've lived here all my life (62 years), but just want to caution your to get as much information as you, visit before you move and not think that Seattle is Utopia. It has it pluses and minuses just like any other place.

Cindi

writinglove likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Does it have to be Oregon?  We're enjoying Idaho Falls, and there are Montessori's on every corner, it seems like.  There's even one that is a charter school, so there is no tuition!  After that, there is an amazing charter school opening up next yr that reminds me of Montessori.  It will be 6-12th grade, and is a perfect segue from Montessori.

#4 of 6 Old 10-08-2012, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

If you want a "cabin" *and* Montessori, Seattle is not the place unless you are willing to commute.  There must be a Montessori in the 'burbs, isn't there?  Sammamish (where the Pine Lake community is) and Issaquah are both thriving suburbs (really, really suburbs) that still might have cabins to buy or land not too far away to build one on.  Bainbridge Island or Vashon, both with easy ferry access to Seattle and Edmonds, are also places to look, but those communities *plus* Montessori?  

I'm eager to hear from others.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#5 of 6 Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSilver View Post

If you want a "cabin" *and* Montessori, Seattle is not the place unless you are willing to commute.  There must be a Montessori in the 'burbs, isn't there?  Sammamish (where the Pine Lake community is) and Issaquah are both thriving suburbs (really, really suburbs) that still might have cabins to buy or land not too far away to build one on.  Bainbridge Island or Vashon, both with easy ferry access to Seattle and Edmonds, are also places to look, but those communities *plus* Montessori?  

I'm eager to hear from others.

You might have a commute to school, but there is Arbor School in Sammamish, Eton in Bellevue, and Woodinville Montessori in Woodinville that are preschool-8 schools.  Your best bet for "cabin" near the school would be Woodinville, or somewhere in the snoqualmie valley with the commute to sammamish or bellevue.  There are lots of montessori schools in the suburbs (and more rural areas) that go through K, but not many that go beyond, so it depends on how long your want your child in montessori.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#6 of 6 Old 11-26-2012, 10:26 PM

What about Vashon Island? Cheaper housing, has a montessori school, and is just a ferry ride away from the city.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page