Oregon: Considering OHP/Healthy Kids for the First Time...Help! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband has health insurance through his work, but my kids and I, for the past several years, have had a (not very good) cheap plan with Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield that I got through ehealthinsurance.com. Well, Regence is eliminating that plan and just about tripling the cost of the "replacement" plan, which is actually even worse (higher deductible, fewer options, etc.). The cost of health insurance is just exorbitant, especially considering that we've never even USED our coverage at all, except when I was pregnant and the first few weeks after that for routine newborn care with my midwife. Anyway, because of the increase in cost, we are considering going with the state's Healthy Kids program, which we would qualify for, according to the financial criteria I found on the web site. But my biggest concern is this: I prefer to keep the government out of my business as much as possible. We don't vaccinate at all (I may consider allowing a few select vaccinations somewhere down the road, but not in the near future). We homeschool, so I haven't even had to worry about filling out an exemption form or anything yet (my oldest is only 6). I am worried that, by signing up for a state health program, that we will be hassled about not vaccinating. I don't want some case worker showing up at my door, saying, "I looked at your records and noticed that you don't vaccinate your children...." Does this even happen? If anyone has experience with being on OHP/Healthy Kids and not vaccinating, I would love to hear about your experience, positive or negative. I am in Multnomah County.

Happily married for 9 years. 7 year old son, 5 year old daughter, 3 year old daughter. jumpers.gif
#2 of 7 Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We homeschool and decline vaccinations and no one from Oregon Health Plan has ever mentioned it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#3 of 7 Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you. smile.gif I just wanted to assure you, as a person in a position to know, that no one from the state government is going to hassle you about vaccinating, or not vaccinating, your children. Please do not allow that concern to keep you from getting the insurance coverage and health care that you need. Healthy Kids is a fabulous program and I'm glad that you've discovered it.

#4 of 7 Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 PM

"Hi, I'm from the government and I'm here to help you."

biglaugh.gif

Welcome to MDC, 2kidfrenzy.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2012, 12:07 PM

We are not on OHP but Healthy Kids Connect through the same program, just have to pay a partial premium.  We do not vax and have had suggestions from our Ped but not a hassle.  I think it mostly depends on who you pick as your children's ped

Mom to DS 9/18/09 and DS 3/28/13
Laugh it up, fuzzball biggrinbounce.gif 

#6 of 7 Old 11-03-2012, 06:20 PM

Hi! My kiddos are on OHP and it's been amazing. We've had some health struggles with my youngest (heart problems and Celiacs) and they've been awesome. We've had some questions as to why we don't vaccinate but nothing beyond that.

Tavi

#7 of 7 Old 11-29-2012, 04:51 AM

"We've had some health struggles with my youngest (heart problems and Celiacs)"
Tavi,
Hi...I am curious about how you learned/suspected Celiacs with your youngest child? I have a severe gluten intolerance (never tested for Celiac diagnosis, however)--and I'm concerned my son is sensitive too. He's only two, so can't communicate about feelings/symptoms himself very effectively yet, but I think I notice patterns that are red flags to me, so I don't give him any gluten (which is easy, usually, as I don't consume any either). The problem is, he spends a fair amount of time with his dad and his paternal grandparents, and they don't believe my concerns. Can you help me on the road to helping him? Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page