Multicultural holiday adventure/ playdate-- Seattle Eastside - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 11-19-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you crunchy/homeschooling/progressive folks out there would be interested in a little seasonal meet-up~

1) because really, can you ever have too much tribe? I LOVE meeting kindred spirits and so do my kids.

2) Tis' the season to celebrate, and if a little fun learning can be squeezed into that, so much the better!

What I have in mind is a sort of magic carpet ride around the world, visiting different cultures and experiencing their midwinter holiday celebrations. Before I was a homeschooling Mama I did this with my  elementary students and it was a blast!

It was such a wonderful way to learn about the common ground we share with others around the world, celebrating the return of the light.

In a nutshell:

3 or more parents volunteer to facilitate a SIMPLE holiday "station" and kids cycle through (though with a small group of kids it could be done all together). Each stop on the "journey" gives kids a taste of the culture & holiday traditions-- through a story, a snack, a craft project, a brief intro, a ritual like tying a wish on the yule log, any of the above that the parent in charge wants to include.

Also, hopefully some time afterward for kids to just hang out & parents to talk over hot chocolate or tea.

I am a "secular-but-spiritual" homeschooler who has two daughters, almost five and seven and a half, and we are currently fascinated with learning about the world's peoples-- with as much dramatic adventure, storytelling and magic as possible, thank  you!-- and we'd love to meet up with like minded families.

Who's up for a little Midwinter magic?

Either respond in the forum or via private message~ we'll need to set the date soon in this busy season!

community is the greatest gift we can give to each other

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page