What can you tell me about DSHS in WA ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just found out I'm expecting. Not quite 4 weeks. I'd like another home birth. Our previous 2 were CNM's and our insurance (Tricare standard) paid for most of it. There are no CNM's in my area. A friend told me that DSHS would cover a homebirth midwife. Have you used it? (Even better, are you military, homebirthed and used DSHS?) We qualify financially.. which is sad that as a military family we would qualify just based on income.... 

anyway!

Gimme whatcha got!

#2 of 6 Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 PM

Yes, I understand that WA DSHS will cover a homebirth MW. We were pg earlier this fall and had a MC at 12 weeks, but prior to that I'd seen two MWs (neither were CNMs) and both accepted DSHS. We are in an insurance gap, with DP's new plan starting in the spring, but I was happy to find that for pg coverage, DSHS is pretty inclusive.

Good luck to you!

chicken3.gif mama to two teens and two tots partners.gif madly in love with DP guitar.gif

#3 of 6 Old 12-08-2012, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

Friend down the road had a midwife and homebirth and it was covered.  You just need to find a practitioner that will handle that insurance.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 06:39 PM

I had a homebirth that was covered by DSHS.  Just sign up with Molina (instead of community health plan?... there are 2 dshs options) and all the midwives I know will take it.  The only thing you will need to pay for is some supplies and the birth assistant, which in the seattle area runs $200-$300.  There are some midwives who use students to assist, but I'm not a huge fan of that.  My sister even had her birth center birth completely covered.

#5 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 08:11 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)

The insurance choice you have with dshs can depend on the county.  You might not have a choice.  Your right, CHPW has many detractors, and I have heard practitioners say that they are hard for them to deal with.  However, both my friend and I have had trouble with Molina (with plain old Basic Health, not dshs/basic health+) and I have had zero trouble with CHPW since I switched over to them.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#6 of 6 Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 AM

I'm in S. Kitsap County,  here in WA. I've had a home water-birth with both children, one in s.snohomish co. and over here in Kitsap.  Both were fully covered by dshs.  It was fairly easy.  I applied and then chose a provider, i chose chpw both times and I've never had a problem with them in the least.  After that i just presented my card and didn't worry about a thing.

If you think there's going to be a problem with anything I'd talk to your care provider first and ask them questions and then go from there.  

I had to pay for my birthkit (about 40$) for both births, provide the pool, and supposed to pay for the birth assistant with the second birth.

The first birth my MW had a student MWs for assistants.  I was fine with that.  The one who actually attended my birth (first) is now a partner in their group of 3 MWs.  :)  which I think is pretty cool.  For the second birth It was through a different group (different location) so her assistant is NOT a student.  Which is fine, it was 150 I think.  However, since I ended up delivering before anyone got here, including the assistant, I didn't have to pay for her.  Sweet!

clear as mud, yeah?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page