Mothering Forum banner

What can you tell me about DSHS in WA ?

664 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  katt 
#1 ·
Just found out I'm expecting. Not quite 4 weeks. I'd like another home birth. Our previous 2 were CNM's and our insurance (Tricare standard) paid for most of it. There are no CNM's in my area. A friend told me that DSHS would cover a homebirth midwife. Have you used it? (Even better, are you military, homebirthed and used DSHS?) We qualify financially.. which is sad that as a military family we would qualify just based on income....

anyway!

Gimme whatcha got!

#2 ·
Yes, I understand that WA DSHS will cover a homebirth MW. We were pg earlier this fall and had a MC at 12 weeks, but prior to that I'd seen two MWs (neither were CNMs) and both accepted DSHS. We are in an insurance gap, with DP's new plan starting in the spring, but I was happy to find that for pg coverage, DSHS is pretty inclusive.

Good luck to you!

#4 ·
I had a homebirth that was covered by DSHS. Just sign up with Molina (instead of community health plan?... there are 2 dshs options) and all the midwives I know will take it. The only thing you will need to pay for is some supplies and the birth assistant, which in the seattle area runs $200-$300. There are some midwives who use students to assist, but I'm not a huge fan of that. My sister even had her birth center birth completely covered.

#5 ·
The insurance choice you have with dshs can depend on the county. You might not have a choice. Your right, CHPW has many detractors, and I have heard practitioners say that they are hard for them to deal with. However, both my friend and I have had trouble with Molina (with plain old Basic Health, not dshs/basic health+) and I have had zero trouble with CHPW since I switched over to them.

#6 ·
I'm in S. Kitsap County, here in WA. I've had a home water-birth with both children, one in s.snohomish co. and over here in Kitsap. Both were fully covered by dshs. It was fairly easy. I applied and then chose a provider, i chose chpw both times and I've never had a problem with them in the least. After that i just presented my card and didn't worry about a thing.

If you think there's going to be a problem with anything I'd talk to your care provider first and ask them questions and then go from there.

I had to pay for my birthkit (about 40$) for both births, provide the pool, and supposed to pay for the birth assistant with the second birth.

The first birth my MW had a student MWs for assistants. I was fine with that. The one who actually attended my birth (first) is now a partner in their group of 3 MWs. :) which I think is pretty cool. For the second birth It was through a different group (different location) so her assistant is NOT a student. Which is fine, it was 150 I think. However, since I ended up delivering before anyone got here, including the assistant, I didn't have to pay for her. Sweet!

clear as mud, yeah?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.