PDX Fluoride Vote! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you are in PDX, I would love to connect. I am working (unaffiliated) to preserve Portland's water this May!
#2 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 11:21 AM

Thank you for working on this! I just moved here in August, and I was so disappointed to see they were thinking about *adding* it. I thought I'd finally moved somewhere sans fluoride, so I didn't have to worry about it so much! Seems so backwards given that there are movements many places to do the much harder task of removing it :( 

Sarah

flowersforyou.gif   

#3 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well unfortunately I have seen the underbelly of local politics through this and it is *dark* and shady!

There is a KickOff Countdown party tomorrow night. I will post the link here in a minute. If you could take a minute to tell your local friends, that would be fabulous! I can't go because I am over an hour away . . . 

You could get a lawn sign or a sticker there, and sign up to help if you are so inclined!

#4 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the KickOff Party!

https://www.facebook.com/events/599315966746887/

And here is a link to the debate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP7WaYhUIe0

#5 of 18 Old 04-16-2013, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to the funniest video ever, made by Clean Water Portland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUYRgoAxUyo

#6 of 18 Old 04-24-2013, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bumping! I love that our water is so pure. Why add nasty chemicals to it? Why mess with everyone's water when I can buy toothpaste with fluoride at the pharmacy if I want to?
#7 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Right? There is a huge parade today in PDX for this. I can post the time if anyone is interested in attending! 

It also has come out that the Pro Fluoride side paid 143,000 to Minority Groups they claim to have the support of . . . That was covered in the Willamette Week!

#8 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 04:31 PM

OMG and a pro-fluoride sponsored ad showed up in my FB news feed. I was so angry! What gets me riled up isn't just the health and environmental questionability (is that a word?), it's the freakin' lack of informed consent. I ABSOLUTELY do not consent to have this medication (yes, it's a medication if you want medical outcomes). Dah!

I am not surprised at all that they've try to pay people off to support. I wish I could do more to help right now, but my life is crazy!

Sarah

flowersforyou.gif   

#9 of 18 Old 04-25-2013, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

You can vote no! Yes, they paid Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc, etc. They have a TON of money to spend . . . I was able to click a button on FB to let FB know that the ad was offensive to me and not to show it again . . . 

A fun thing I sometimes do is do random searches and try to get their ad to come up on Twitter and then screen shot it. I have had it come up when searching for 'cancer' & 'hypothyroid' etc . . . 

#10 of 18 Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Oh I plan to vote no!

Sarah

flowersforyou.gif   

#11 of 18 Old 05-17-2013, 05:31 PM

We voted no here. :) 

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#12 of 18 Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! Thanks! An incriminating memo just came out, I will post the story . . . http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2013/05/oregon_official_felt_pressure.html

It is so interesting because the Oregonian has thus far been totally in the BAG for Fluoridation, I am really surprised that this story made their paper.

#13 of 18 Old 05-20-2013, 06:01 PM

Ballots due tomorrow! Get them in!
#14 of 18 Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

YES Philomom! I am buying my water in my Fluoridated OR community and it costs us 50/month, 600/year and is only a VERY partial Opt Out (I still get it in the bath, whenever I drink water in the community, whenever I eat food in the community, etc).

Getting it from the Pharmacy would be 4 dollars, it is generic and if I had Medicaid, they would totally pay. Plus that product is Pharmaceutical Grade Fluoride (Sodium Fluoride) which is not the INDUSTRIAL grade Fluoride planned for PDX water (HydroFluoroSilicAcid). Also PDX schools distribute Fluoride Tablets to any families that want them.

Even the ADA says that Formula Feeding mothers need to use SOME if not all low fluoride water to prepare bottles, lest FF babies get 200-400% of the dose of a BF infant. Now I am a extended BF mama but I KNOW that there are race, class, and privilege issues regarding WHO gets to BF in the USA and until we have better maternity leave policies and more Baby Friendly hospitals, we need to make sure that the FREE TAP WATER is safe to prepare bottles with without FF mamas on WIC risking Fluorosis & creating a second tier of visibly damaged teeth. If WIC is buying my Formula, I probably can't afford to buy bottled water (which contains BPA) to prepare it with!

#15 of 18 Old 05-20-2013, 10:47 PM

A friend of ours says he has it on good authority that we will lose micro-breweries if they have to filter out the fluoride for their beer. So sad.

On another note, my 19 year old got a call tonight from the "pro chemicals in the water" folks and they practically hung up on her after hearing her no choice. They didn't even try to convince her. I found that odd but heartening. Maybe we will get this voted down!
#16 of 18 Old 05-21-2013, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

It is supposed to, but you NEVER know.

KATU has been a surprising last minute asset, which is so weird because they seem to be associated with the Oregonian on some level . . . 

http://www.katu.com/politics/Did-state-employees-help-pro-fluoride-advocates-on-state-time-208242221.html

#17 of 18 Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM

Woohoo! We won.joy.gif:joy:joy
sk8boarder15 likes this.
#18 of 18 Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

YES! In the end, IMO what did it was a mistake by the Fluoride campaign (giving 'grants' of 20G each to minority groups and then getting caught), as well as some last minute real JOURNALISM (a rare animal in this world today!) by KATU and the Willamette Week. Altho Willamette Week had a conflict of interest and ultimately DID endorse the measure, their coverage was SO much more balanced and accurate than the Oregonian or the Mercury. 

KATU really got the 2012 Smile Survey (in which PDX improved greatly w/o Fluoride) released thorough your BFF and mine, the Freedom of Information Act!

The other thing that did it was IMO the tremendous HEART and SOUL of the PDX Citizens, they are so creative and plucky!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page