Possibly moving to Lakewood/Tacoma WA area, need advice. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband might have a job in Lakewood, WA within a month. We are currently staying with family in Vegas, not even here for 2 months and our car was broken into in front of the house at noon. Needless to say anything is better than here at the moment, we cannot wait to get out of here. Is Lakewood a nice place to live on 40k a year or more? What other areas can I look at for low crime, etc. We don't care about schools since we will be unschooling/homeschooling. TIA :)

#2 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Bumping this for you!

#3 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

You will do fine on $40K+ in the Lakewood area.  The immediate area has a lot of military families, so many neighborhoods are affordable.  That said, we don't live in a particularly low-cost region.  Also, there are some questionable neighborhoods (as ever there are) here and there.

How far are you willing to drive?  That's a good question.  Closer to Tacoma puts you closer to amenities and a quick drive to Seattle for activities (not that Tacoma doesn't have plenty, but it gives you even ore options) but it also has more crime.  

I am partial to the Olympia area, and from there it is not a bad commute to Lakewood, but that adds time and money, and frankly Tacoma/Lakewood have a lot more amenities, but I think that's why I like it here instead!  It's just that much quieter.  But you can find some excellent places closer to your place of work, too-- suburban, urban or rural, whatever you want.

We are unschoolers, too.  You will feel well supported in Western WA.

ETA: Whether you are hsers or not, the quality of schools does have some impact on the livability of neighborhoods--for everyone.

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."
#4 of 6 Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

My family lived in Lakewood for only 6 months so I am not an expert on it, but I would definitely recommend looking at smaller nearby towns like Steilacoom, Lacey, and DuPont. I hated living in Lakewood.

tea6.gifcancer-beating wife to caffix.gif DH since 7/4/09, mother to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifDS 5/1/11 + energy.gifDD 8/21/2013

angel1.gif (4/09) angel1.gif (5/12)

#5 of 6 Old 09-15-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Awesome Ladies, thanks for the replies!

Actually we have a 3 year old and plan to/are an Unschooling family. I am glad to hear we would be accepted :). I was actually lookin g at Steilacoom, I love the name and love that it is quite small....I am not a city girl that's why I am dying here in Vegas, heh.

I was also thinking about Lacey too and am glad to see it mentioned. Regardless, a bad area up there cannot be as bad as it is here. The crime where I am staying now is scary and my grandparents house has been burglarized a few years back. It's so bad my husband felt the need to go get a knife. We are from a small town in So Cal  which was super safe so this is all kinda freaking us out. Washington looks like heaven right now! ;)

#6 of 6 Old 09-15-2013, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)

Yelm is also an area that accesses Lakewood nicely.  Almost anywhere in northern Thurston/South Pierce counties is fairly reasonable.  Are you military?  The commute nearby JBLM can be difficult.  

"Let me see you stripped down to the bone. Let me hear you speaking just for me."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page